Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so ive bought one of the Pegasus buildings which has a rose window and i was wondering if anybody had any ideas how i could make and paint the rose window to go into window
this is the type of window i'm looking at doing

and this is the building it's going in to

any help would be much appreciated, thank you

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
only way i could think about it would be to get some clear plasticard... no scratch that, use the front plastic from a blister and use inks.

they should tint the window without making it too opaque

tho i'd ink these windows before your fix them in, the ink wash would need to dry evenly across the entire pane of glass.

hope i helped some :D

·
Registered
2,979 Posts
Use clear sticker paper and a printer. Print to the correct size, trim to fit and use PVA/white glue to stick into place. You can get the paper from any good stationary store or Office supply store.

If printing a picture does't fit well or look right you can paint the paper with standard paints and washes and still keep the translucent effect.

·
Registered
548 Posts
i'd suggest that you print [or paint...and by paint, i do of course, mean ink] onto acetate...you can pick it up relatively cheaply in most art / stationary shops.

brings back memories of the sheets the teacher wrote on for the overhead projector in school [christ, i'm showing my age...] :grin:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I would go with the same strategy the old ironed beads on pegboards toys. found a link to some. http://www.thinktoys.com.au/toys.asp?Cat=Artful&Subcat=Hama Beads
make your pattern for your window out of little bits of transparent colored plastic, put a sheet of wax paper over them, and use an iron to fuse. Probably a more challenging strategy than any of the other options mentioned, but potentially nice results if you put some time into it.

·
Premium Member
5,116 Posts
I'd get myself a stained glass painting set from your local hobby store, my daughter used to paint them they would do the job perfectly.
They generally consist of a sheet of clear plastic (acetate I think) thats thin but rigid enough for what you need it for. A bottle of 'lead' outline, which is just thick black paint. And a mix of bright coloured clear paints specially made to adhere to the plastic without the need for primers.
Probably be safe going for the cheaper end of the market as well as some of the sets contain glass instead of plastic.

Which ever way you decide to go in the end, have fun and post up the end result!

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
I'd just get the clear sticker sheets and print them myself - but I have suitable artwork for them already (and ready to go).

*thought that building looked familiar - it's mine.

Failing that, many 'instant copy' shops can do copies onto acetate for you. You could always get one set done multiple times (on the one sheet) so that you could do multiple windows off the one set of prints.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
My vote is for bitsandkits solution personally. It seems like it would be the best solution. You could even find appropriate artwork for an awesome 40k themed stained glass window.

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
brings back memories of the sheets the teacher wrote on for the overhead projector in school [christ, i'm showing my age...] :grin:
That's what I meant with the print onto (or copy onto) acetate sheets comment of mine.

@VaUgHaNy86: PM me your email and I'll send you a copy of the artwork I have that should be suitable. I found them on a search as I had the same idea with my building.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the help, certainly some ideas to look into, as soon as ive got it done ill definitely post up the pictures

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
I have been using clear welding shields for stuff like this ... I think it might be acetate. It is only 35 cents for a sheet that is 4.25" by 5.5" ultra cheap and and it is my favorite color ... clear.:grin: You can pick them up at places that sell welding hoods, wire, etc.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
I use blister plastic with nail polish on top. It makes the texture rougher and a little more glass-like. The roughness also makes it easier to ink freehand.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts