Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night I attempted to use Psy Shriek on a flyrant.

the rule book defined witch fires as 'needing a roll to hit' not a problem, except that Psy shrike actually does not have a shooting profile, it's within 18 roll 3d6, subtract leadership then suffer wounds, it's not like smite which has a weapon profile like a bolter does.

my opponent said that the spells effect replaced normal 'to wound' rules for weapons, but in order to use it I first had to roll a to hit dice on my ballistic skill to hit like a normal shooting attack, I ended up going his way but vowed to take it here to find out.

so does psychic shriek by virtue of being a witch fire need a role to hit? despite not having a weapon profile.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
yes, as any witch fire...sucks eh?
at least thats how i read the rule

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
I believe near the end of 6e, it was FAQed to confirm that you needed to roll to hit, as with any witchfire power. I might be inventing fictitious FAQs here, but certainly everybody around me was converted to the "roll to hit" school of thought (in several independent locations). The FAQs for 6e are gone now, of course, but the reasoning remains the same...

Sorry. It's crappy, I know.

·
Registered
6,323 Posts
The first line of the Witchfire section states that they are shooting attacks, third sentence down (second after that one):

Simliarly, a Witchfire power must roll to hit unless it has the blast special rule...or is a template weapon.
Since it isn't a Beam, Focused Witchfire, or Nova spell it is resolved at Ballistic Skill (I assume in the instance of this power with only one shot) and then causes the number of wounds as prescribed in the rules for this power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts