Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Rolling Stone cover of bombing suspect called 'slap' to Boston - CNN.com

Either for Ratings or in the name of Journalism the Pop Culture magazine Rolling Stones released their latest issue with a cover photo of Tsarneav's photo on the cover and a catchy title of "The Bomber: How a Popular, Promising Student was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam, and became a monster."

For those of you who watched the news this morning stores around the country, particularly in the North East, have dropped the issue like a rock. The company is estimating a staggering $230 million lost for just the one issue alone. Rolling Stones has yet to make a public statement on whether or not they will withdraw the controversial issue from the shelves entirely.

Ed Kelly, president of the Professional Fire Fighters of Massachusetts, calls it insulting. "Using Tsarnaev's booking photo might have been one thing, but a photo that shows "the innocence of youth" gives the wrong message," Kelly told CNN. He went on to say, "What he did to a city, a country, we're never going to forgive him for it," Kelly said. "We're not going to cower from it. It disturbs us that our media chooses to celebrate it."

CVS pharmacies, Stop & Stop, and Tedeschi Food Shops, all of which are popular convenience stores up here in the New England area, refused to sell the issue after the public outcry. Walgreens and Rite Aid are considering pursuing a similar course of action; and Walmart was in a meeting on the issue this very morning ABC News reported.

Others like Washington Post media critic Erik Wemple said Rolling Stone should be out defending its article, because it's "a pretty easy thing to defend." He called the companies that are pulling it from the racks "cowardly," noting that The New York Times used the same photo back in May. The photo doesn't glamorize Tsarnaev, he argued, but "humanizes" him for people "who want to see him as an animal from Day One."

The controversy rages on in light of the recent attempted shooting of Tsarneav near his holding at Fort Devens Army base in Mass, and the ongoing trial of him by the Local DOJ (Department of Justice (and through them Homeland Security)) unit.

Thoughts, comments?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Meh no big deal they had Manson on the cover and he killed more then these 2 did.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
If it is a serious attempt to understand why in terms of article content then I agree with Dave on this one.

·
Grr! That is all.
595 Posts
Awesome how no one in America is held accountable for their own actions anymore it is always someone else fault.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
The Bomber: How a Popular, Promising Student was failed by his family, fell into radical Islam, and became a monster.

That part right there most likely.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I certainly didn't get the impression that Rolling Stone was trying to glorify the situation whatsoever, merely attempting to go down the line of: "Look how this nice looking successful guy turned into a monster."

I don't see how showing a 'nice' photo of the guy is celebrating what he did. I agree with what that Erik Wemple guy said.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
It's Rolling Stone, they've featured other serial killers (Manson has come up I see) and people were outraged about it. It's just a failing magazines attempt to gain publicity.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I don't see how showing a 'nice' photo of the guy is celebrating what he did.
Take it from me bro, living in NH and only 1 hour away from Boston Massachusetts people here don't want to even hear of the guy anymore. That's how upset and angry they are over this one dude. When 911 hit it was the same thing, all of NY wanted blood and they were the loudest voice in America for the Afghanistan War.

In short New England (the Northern States not including New York) don't want this guy to get articles, publicity, or anything. They want him hanged as one Co-Worker told me yesterday. Trust me Child of the Emperor......they want him dead.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I don't see how showing a 'nice' photo of the guy is celebrating what he did.
Take it from me bro, living in NH and only 1 hour away from Boston Massachusetts people here don't want to even hear of the guy anymore. That's how upset and angry they are over this one dude. When 911 hit it was the same thing, all of NY wanted blood and they were the loudest voice in America for the Afghanistan War.

In short New England (the Northern States not including New York) don't want this guy to get articles, publicity, or anything. They want him hanged as one Co-Worker told me yesterday. Trust me Child of the Emperor......they want him dead.

·
Registered
480 Posts

Also from NH, 45 minutes away from Boston, and I absolutely agree with this statement.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts