Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Rhino can move 18" if Headen out on the highway, lookin' for adventure and whatever comes our way. If he does so, he may not shoot, take on or disembark passengers, Tank Shock or smoke.

My question, if my Rhino moves 18" on the road, then on my opponent's turn, get blown into space, can my Space Marines Emergency Disembark or are they destroyed along with the tank?

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Nothing in the rules says they're destroyed. Just use the 'more than 6"' emergency disembark rules, same as if an Eldar wave serpent was chugging along at its Fast Skimmer speed and got shot down.

The emergency disembark isn't nessecarily people bailing out, it also represents people surviving a crash (hence different tables for vehicles moving)

·
Registered
630 Posts
They should survive, getting wounded on a 4+ with a re-roll mind you.
Moving 12" and popping smoke Is far safer though, all comes down to the situation I suppose. You could always try playing BA's with OCE open road or not put the peddle to the metal!!! :shock:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I get a lot of Tau action with a turnament player who, if I don't go first, blows up over half my Rhino's before they even get the chance to move. Any advantage in getting my Space Marines closer, if they do get to move, is better.

·
Executive Nitpicker
8,276 Posts
Put your rhinos behind cover at deployment

·
Registered
141 Posts
get deepstrike and/or get the trait 'see but dont be seen' that infiltration is a laugh 9 times out of 10 and that tau player will begi fielding kroot more than hammerheads and braodsides. (which then sets u up to rush rhinos every so often)

another solution is the 'humble' landraider. its 14 armor will take most of the shots and may even survive. i find my rhinos have better survivability when i field my raider.

yet another: assault space marines. trust me, road rushing is only a good idea in cityfight when u need to catch a tank up to advancing front lines.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We don't use enough terrain to make deploying everything behind something a real option, but I'll keep that in mind.

I have yet to play in a city, but was thinking about it and building cotingencies.

As far as I can tell, Infiltrate is only for Veteran Space Marines. I learned about it last week, and plan to try it out. 3 points more per model to get in my opponent's face has to be cheaper than a 53 point tank.

I shoulkd try the land raider, but I usually don't so I can get more marines on the table. My Land Speeders seem to be able to draw plenty of fire, and it doesn't save my rhinos. I should have mentioned my Tau opponent uses a mechinized Tau. Sure, he has some troops, but lots of firepower.

Deep Strike and Drop Pods have worked with fair results. I am currently putting together a force of Assault Marines, so your suggestion is a good one.

Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
if you take the trait 'See but dont be seen' then u can give it to normal squads also at +3 points. oh and if your enemy likes railguns, u may want to leave the raider at home because mine is constantly killed by those pesky things. But a railgun is no use against a squad of bounding Assaulters, so im putting him in his place :twisted:

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I wholeheartedly disagree-- a hammerhead's submunition shot can rip a nice hole in your assault squad. It may not pierce their armour outright, but like anything, if you roll enough dice...

Extra armour and smoke launchers are your friends. Never leave home without 'em. You really ought to be playing on enough terrain to cover your units from turn 1-- Space Marines really aren't designed to fight in open terrain (admittedly, no army is, but Necrons and Imperial Guard are probably the best at it.) Extra armour particularly is important, since it keeps you moving despite half of the glancing hits, which is important for a transport.

Another, possibly insane (but workable) idea is to try beating the Tau at their own game. The Tau have a staggering number of anti-personnel weapons. The problem with them is that they don't pierce Space Marine armour. A heavy bolter, on the other hand, chews right through whatever Fire Warriors are wearing now-a-days. Predator Destructors, Whirlwinds, and Devastator Squads equipped with four heavy bolters all do wonders against Tau. Land Speeders, which are relatively vulnerable because of the high strength weapons of the Tau, are of less use than something that's entirely proof against pulse rifles like a Destructor.

Scout Bikers, oddly enough, have a place in an army going up against Tau frequently. Their pre-game Scout move, combined with Turbo Boost, makes them quite solid against heavy firepower and gets them close very fast. The Tau player has a choice then-- deal with the scouts, who can still outfight Fire Warriors, albeit not quite as easily as regular Astartes in close combat, or ignore them in favor of your Rhinos and let the scout bikers eat a squad or two. For the points, they're not a bad buy. You can do something similar with bikers, as they're a fair bit faster than a Rhino thanks to Turbo Boost. You'll just have to weather the first volley if you go second.

Another consideration might be Razorbacks over Rhinos. You're still delivering marines into close combat, albeit not as many as you could with Rhinos. The tradeoff, however, is that heavy bolter that puts a nice dent in Fire Warrior squads. If you absolutely have to shred Fire Warriors, try the following:

Troops/
(3x) 6-strong Tactical Squad
-Heavy Bolter
-Razorback with extra armour, smoke launchers, twin-linked heavy bolters

That gives you six heavy bolters, half of which are twin-linked. The razorbacks can concentrate on one squad, and the infantry can focus on another. You're shredding enemy infantry in pretty sizable chunks each turn.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Battle update:

Tried the Land Raider and stayed with speeders. The Tau player let me go first so I would at least feel I had a chance. I used the Roads rule to get halfway across the board before he shut me down. Unfortunately, the Roads Rule didn't let me use the smokers. The Assault Squad did well, but fell to the Kroot in the end. The Land Raider actually did fair and delivered my Librarian close enough to try "Fear the Darkness".

If my Tau player were using lots of Firewarriors, I can see Horus' point, but he is heavy armor. My Devistator Squads survived and did well, as did the Predator and the Whirlwind. I have yet to "spring" my Veterans with Infiltrate, but I think I'll try smaller squads. If I can get more tank busters on the board, maybe I can at least tie.

I'll have to look at my Chapter Traits and see if I can use Nightmarine's suggestion. It sounds like a good one.

I'll beat him yet!

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, the general consensus around here is that Tau are the most broken thing in the game.

Since Tau vehicles are all skimmers, weapons that are designed to fight heavy infantry like Space Marines actually are of more use than things like krak missiles. Plasma, while dangerous, glances Devilfish on 4's. A plasma rifle has a MUCH better chance of opening up a Devilfish than a krak missile.

If you've got some Terminators, you could try giving a veteran sergeant somewhere a teleport homer and dumping the terminators (with assault cannons) down where your line is getting shot up the most. Ass cannons are the best thing since sliced cheese at downing skimmers-- they've got enough shots to make it work. A pair of 'em should pretty reliably be able to down a Hammerhead.

·
Registered
57 Posts
If you want some cheaper assaulty goodness with infiltrating go for 9 CC scouts and add to that a veteran sergeant with PF. They are not as fast as the dedicated assault squad but with good infiltration can work a charm. They are a real threat and if your opponent does not rate scouts he is in for a surprise. On the charge the have 31 attacks with 4 being PF attacks. This unit has done well for me against just about anything I've played but you need to use them intelligently. Remember armor save is only 4+ but the rest of your stats is all marine all the way.

Beware the silent death (well until they start screaming and beating you with a PF and chainsword. Then just beware of the death...:grin:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts