Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
723 Posts
hi all,

seeing the demand of rivetheads for all kind of conversions, scratchbuilt stuff, buildings, the odd armourplate and whatnot i decided to share my very precious method of making

HUGE AMOUNTS OF RIVETHEADS IN NO TIME!

and the best thing you barely need any kit or tools. nearly all of you will have the things needed at arm lenght.

so let's start.

1. what you need is:

the most important part in this picture is remains of some sprue that i'm sure all of you have big amounts of. this will be our basic material for the rivets. it's made of polystyrene and therefor is a thermoplast which can be melted again with very little loss to its structural properties (and we won't worry about that, since we don't need our rivets to hold anything, right?:wink:)

the second most important part in the picture is this:

now what's this? it's a piece of thin metal with tiny punched holes (this one comes from a jim beam whiskey metal box). i'm sure all of you have something similar lying around. if not, just take a thin piece of metal and drill some small holes in it with your hobby drill.

2. heating the polysterene:

heat the sprue close above the flame of the candle for about two seconds. not for too long or the stuff will catch fire, so PLEASE BE CAREFUL here.
what we want to achieve is some pretty much softened piece of plastic, not some runny flaming stuff.

3. forming the rivetheads:

after you've heated the sprue, gently press the softened plastic into your shard of metal. this might require a bit of practise but we have limitless stuff of sprue and the candle isn't too expensive as well :mrgreen: . blow on it for two seconds to cool it down and carefully remove it (a bit of turning might be necessary).

your result should look like this:

or (dependant on how you actually push the sprue into the holes) like this:

this is what we want to achieve for MASS PRODUCTION.

4. cut down your rivets:

use your hobby knife or like me a sharp scapell. be carefull not to cut yourself.

4. repeat step 2,3 and 4 for as many times as you wish.
it will take you no time at all and provide you with some practise.

5. sort out your rivetheads:

you will notice that your rivetheads will vary a bit in shape. but that's no problem at all since you probably have about a hundred of them by now.
sort them according to shape using A WET BRUSH. (this works superbly)

make heaps of similar shapes.

6. glue them to whatever you like:

make some real tiny dots of glue (maybe using a needle) on the surface on which you want your rivets to be. position your sorted rivetheads using your wet brush again.

DONE! :so_happy:

this is a really easy way to make hundreds of those little buggers in virtually no time. trust me. you will get quite skilled with the practise. :eek:k:

you can also experiment with different kinds of plastics (but BE CAREFUL WITH THE FLAMING POINT) and hole sizes for different results.

have fun. :victory:

cheers
graf_spee

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
excellent tutorial, would you mind if i linked to it or used it for my bits and kits site?
if you think it's helpful, feel welcome to link. no one ever has enough rivets..

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
Great tutorial. Now I just need to find an appropriate hole thing :grin:

·
Registered
138 Posts
Ooh, I like it, I did something similar once but I live with two asthmatics (wife and kid) so the fumes aren't allowed anymore...

I also really like how you manage to tie handy modeling tips in with heavy drinking :D

Beork

·
Registered
616 Posts
great idea, i have just started scratchbuilding some tanks and this will be immensely helpful.

now i just need to hook up a REALLY strong ventilation system so i dont kill myself.

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
great idea, i have just started scratchbuilding some tanks and this will be immensely helpful.

now i just need to hook up a REALLY strong ventilation system so i dont kill myself.

no, you don't need to. its just softening the material. not burning ;) the emission of hazardous fumes is neglectible in this case. it's polystyrene. not epoxy, pmma or stuff like that. i still recommend to do this in a ventilated space, though (a wide opened window will be sufficent).

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Thank you :D tryin to make em 1 by 1 is insanly boring and I sucked at making them.... till now heh heh heh thank you Graf :D

·
Registered
180 Posts
This tutorial looks really good. Just wondering, what would you use these for?

·
Registered
723 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
This tutorial looks really good. Just wondering, what would you use these for?
ever seen a an ork conversion or scratchbuilt without crude amourplating and thousands of rivets? or some imperial buildings without extensive use of rivets? no? well, there you have your answer. :grin:

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Very simple, very good ! My respects and +rep:biggrin:

·
Registered
70 Posts
nice tutorial man! i loled when i saw MASS PRODUCTION :laugh: thats great cuz im gana use that trick for the pre heresy army ima start! +rep!!!!!! :victory:

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
great idea

1 - 18 of 18 Posts