Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

21 - 40 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
967 Posts
John didn't hesitate, he helped Fawkes distribute the magnums and ammo and finally took a pistol for himself, making sure the extra magazines were tucked away securely. He didn't wonder why Fawkes stored weapons and ammo in a briefing room, he was just happy to see the sergeant was prepared for surprises.

He could hear the sniffs of Grunts outside and took cover by the doorpost. He could see shimmering light, possibly, no probably, cast by Jackels with combat shields. Fawkes as quiet, not issuing orders so they could hear the advance of cannon fodder.

NOW! He thought, as he dropped to a knee and leaned out of cover. He shot two rounds, one meeting a Jackal's shield, the other hitting it in the foot. A third round hitting it in the head as it staggered... Kill.

The other squad members had started shooting as well, John saw multiple grunts and jackals hit the floor before they could return fire. Two more rounds from John's magnum saw to the end of a grunt, its mask torn from it's ugly face and a large hole where the mask once sat.

Plasma fire forced him back into cover, pinning him down. Either Payne or one of the Spartans shot a single round into the shooter, clearing John's way. He got out of cover again and shot two Jackals in the side as the approached the door. *click*

Reloading was bad in a situation like this. He checked if the others were still shooting and replaced the mag.
How many fucking aliens were out there?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Claire took a pistol from John and loaded it and made sure there was a round in the chamber. She saw the others taking up positions by the doorway and behind the central table. She herself took up position at the far side of the room, overlooking the room without exposing herself.

John made the first kill, a Jackel carrying a shield. All started firing and numerous Jackels and Grunts were mowed down. She fired at the Grunts, not wanting to waste ammo on Jackels who hid behind shields.

When the aliens returned fire one of the marines fell to the ground, screaming. The screams soon stopped and Claire took the Assault rifle from the dead hands.

She aimed and started surpressing the enemy shooters, killing two more grunts. When the weapon was depleted she discared it, again aiming her magnum at the attackers.

The last shot in the magazine scraped a Grunt which ran off, clutching its wounded arm and screaming in terror.

·
Reaper of Souls
1,303 Posts
"Lock and load boys and girls." Fawkes said as he planted a pile of magnums on the table. The ODSTs selected a pistol and checked it over with the ease of born soldiers. They racked slides, checked iron sights and had a look at pistol loads. I took it all in at a glance.

My hand reached across the table and closed on the familiar grip of a magnum. I paused, using my enhanced hearing to detect when a covenant warrior would come into my line of fire. I leant forward over the table and closed my fist on the grip of the pistol, then suddenly snapped my arm up and fired a single shot. The hammer slammed into the rear of the bullet, knocking it out of the barrel so fast that even with time seemingly slowed down for me it was still little more than a blur. The slide slammed back and the shell casing flew free of the weapon. I bent my wrist to absorb the recoil of the weapon as the round flew free of the barrel.

There was a thud as the jackal collapsed, the round having flown over its shield, entered through its forehead and blew out the back of its skull. I turned my head and blew the smoke away from the barrel.

Then the swarm came. I watched as John ducked out from cover and opened fire before he was driven back. I stepped forward so that I was standing in the centre of the doorway and fired a single shot, hitting the grunt pinning him in the methane tank. There was an explosion and a fireball that had the jackal flanking the grunt shrieking in pain as it burned. I put it out of its misery with another round.

Then I ducked and rolled into cover. I reached down to the inner lining of my boot and gripped the hilt of the knife concealed there. I stood and stepped out from cover, throwing the knife with a flick of the wrist that had it buried in a jackal's foot. I shot it in the face. I threw myself to the side as a hail of needles flew at me. "Damned Covenant, never leave us alone," I snarled as I pressed my back to the wall. The hail of firepower on my position continued. I had no doubt it was because of their 4 dead fellows.

I spun out of cover, dropping into a firing crouch only to see a group of jackals were blocking my selection of targets. I snapped my arm to aim at the most obvious target, firing a single round. It shattered the bones in the foot of a jackal and it began to topple with an alien screech of pain. I pulled the trigger. The seventh round in the magazine was slammed free to power into the jackal's head where it plunged clean through the skull to slam through its spine and erupt in a spray of blood, brains and shards of bone.

I used the gap in the formation to put a bullet into a grunt's heart. It fell in a heap.

I threw myself back into cover and checked the load of my pistol. Four rounds. Add the twelve round in my second magazine and that was sixteen. More than enough to cause some pain.

·
Registered
424 Posts
"Ladies and gentlemen, we've been issued new orders. We've got to-" Fawkes was cut off by a large bang and several screams. He whipped round, looking at the doorway. He crept up to the door, pushing the switch to open it. Hammering on the switch, Fawkes shut the door as the sound of plasma fire drifted into the briefing room.

"Fucking Covenant" Felix swore, as a plasma grenade blew the door open. Turning, he watched as Fawkes loosened a floor panel and began pulling magnums out and setting them on a table. Without waiting for orders, Felix immediately snatched up a pistol and took cover across from an ODST next to the door. First blood went to the ODSTs as John killed a jackal, it's brains painting the wall behind it. Leaning into the doorway as the ODST reloaded, Felix began firing, killing 3 grunts as they rushed the doorway.

Taking cover as the female ODST suppressed the enemy with an assault rifle, Felix couldn't help but think of his weapons and armor, stored in the armory of the ship. Before he could fire again, heat washed over him as Anthony blew up a grunt, blood and gore spraying the hallway as it erupted. Leaning out of cover, his magnum roared, destroying the head of another jackal as it tried to fire on Anthony. His weapon clicking on empty, Felix reloaded, his hands a blur as he slammed a fresh magazine home.

Rolling through the doorway, Felix came to his feet swinging, the butt of of his pistol smashing in the face of a grunt, before taking cover behind a bulkhead. As plasma began to slam into his cover, he laughed as he heard the squeal of grunts screeching in terror as the ODSTs opened fire on them. A deep grunt sounded down the hallway, the owner of the voice barking orders at the mob. Relishing the idea of engaging an elite or brute in close combat, Felix fired, the heavy pistol round smashing into a jackals shield.

11 rounds turned to 10 as he fired again, the magnum round pinging off another jackals shield. Scooping up a pair of plasma pistols off the ground, he threw one to Anthony, before turning and firing another round to keep the enemies heads down. As he leaned out of cover to fire again, a lucky shot grazed his thigh, the plasma leaving a searing gash in his leg. Grunting in pain as he fell, he heard the jackal that shot him scream in triumph. "Fuck you" he growled, before firing and turning the jackals head into a mass of liquid and skull fragments.....

·
Registered
257 Posts
Payne was one of the last to react, too busy lost in his own thoughts to really listen to what Fawkes was having to say. All he heard was the explosions and the 'lock and load' and knew what he had to do. He was a born killer, and the magnum felt like an extension of his own body as he picked it up off the table and gleefully slammed in a magazine. He had done this hundreds of times, swathes of covenant had fallen to his wrath before, and they would do today.

He turned, then, seeing the grunts and jackals flooding through the door made him dive for cover, behind an overturned table that seconds before some of the ODST's had been sitting on. Seeing all the ODST's in cover reminded him that none of them were wearing armour, meaning that none of them had shielding.
'Neither do they' A little voice in his head commented as he ran his eyes over the Spartans. Payne shook his head, expunging the thoughts, there was a time and a place, and whilst he hated Spartans, he didn't think he could go so far as to kill one in cold blood.

He peeked over the cover, seeing Lancaster pinned by a grunt, he aimed his magnum at it, pulling the trigger twice, twice missing. The Spartan to his right finished it with a headshot, much to Payne's annoyance. As Collins started pinning the enemy with an assault rifle, Payne charged, rushing headlong into the thick of it.

A grunt raised it's needler to fire, taking aim at Payne. Payne dropped it with a shot to the torso with a follow up shot to the head, before shooting a distracted grunt with a clean body shot, the shot bursting it's methane sac. A shot from behind him impacted a Jackal that was readying to fire it's pistol, taking it down before it could shoot him. Payne turned to see his savior, but as all of the team were firing, he couldn't tell who had saved him. He turned, hearing the unmistakeable whine of a charging plasma pistol.

The Jackal shot him in the prosthetic hand, his right hand, the EMP rendering it useless. Screaming in rage, Payne dropped the pistol, without his hand working, it was useless. He shoulder charged the Jackal, throwing it to the ground. He picked it up with his left arm around its neck and pointed it towards the rest of the Covvies, propping it's shield up as to protect himself and reduce the fire toward the rest of the squad. He may be out of the fight but it didn't mean that the rest of the team needed to be. He dropped to a crouch and beckoned one of the other ODSTs to file in behind him in a makeshift shield team.

·
Registered
310 Posts
"Ladies and gentlemen, we've been issued new orders. We've got to-" Alright, Joseph thought just before everything became a hectic mess, at least it's not some bullshit need-to-know answer.

Everything that followed happened in a blurr. Fawks turned toward the door as something exploded.
The door slammed shut as the CO dove away.
A new explosion tore the heavy metal open.
Joseph was on his feet. If he moved fast there was a chance he could reach the armory and get a rifle. Then he saw Fawks stand from the floor a handful of guns plopping onto the holo table.
“Thank god for paranoid people,” he said moving with the others.

Joseph snatched up one of the pistols. 12 shots, he reminded himself slamming a magazine into place, make em count. He grabbed a second clip and shoved it into a pocket. As he turned the damned things charged headlong into the room.

Joseph dove back across the holo table and into several of the chairs. “Damnit,” he swore under his breath. There wasn't any cover worth mentioning where he had landed.

A pair of shots were fired as he moved for more cover. If they did anything he didn't notice as a table fell to its side. “Alright,” he said peaking over to gauge how the others were doing.

A rifle fired. Joseph glanced over to see Collins suppressing the incoming foe. Suppressing being the only word he could think of as she didn't seem to release the trigger until the magazine was depleted.
Something caught Joseph's attention. As the shells flew Payne broke from cover. A smile formed on his face. “Thing's crappy cover anyway.”

Joseph moved from cover with his weapon up. His first aimed shot caught a grunt center mass. Blue blood sprayed as it fumbled back. A second shot ensuring it wouldn't stand back up.

Don't stay in the open, he told himself looking to Payne. He saw the jackal move out.
It was all reminiscent of that day. Joseph gritted his teeth and fired.
It wasn't the best shot he had ever made, but it did the trick. The jackal fell. “Not this time,” he whispered. And fired a second shell into the thing. It stopped twitching.
Not this time, he thought remembering taking the tags off a squad mate, little bastard deserves this.

Target fixation was a battlefield killer and in that moment Joseph realized why. He heard the shout, and a pistol flashing into his field of vision brought him back to the battle.

“Shit,” the young soldier said watching Payne charge. The older man was insane. Joseph sprinted forward and scooped the second magnum up.

His next piece of cover was another chair. “Damnit,” he said checking the pistol. The weapon appeared undamaged, aside from some minor heat damage. A quick check revealed about half a clip remaining. “Good enough,” he said looking up.

There stood Payne wrestling a jackal infrom of him like some kind of a shield. What the hell is he doing, Joseph thought then he saw the shield swing up. “Well hell,” he said abandoning the chair less than a second before a blast of plasma reduced it to splinters.
“This is insane,” he said sprinting to his squad-mate, but I like it.
When he arrived Joseph was able to see the prosthetic hand locked in a half grip. Must be the reason he dropped this thing, the young soldier told himself.

“Never covered this in basic,” he said with a half smile as he leaned to one side behind Payne. A quick aim and two rounds later another grunt lay in an expanding pool of blood.
A plasma round flashed past as Joseph used the cover his squad mate was now providing. He smiled taking quick stock of his remaining ammo. Somewhere around half a clip in each gun. “Just say when big guy,” the smiling soldier said. A flash of memory hit him from earlier. “Let's show these damn Spartan’s what it takes to get things done.”

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts
Logan felt the custom magnum grip mould to his hand a few moments after john tossed it to him. He slipped the spare clip into a pouch and ran to the door and took cover to the left of it. He slid the safety off and peered around the corner. A emerald green plasma bolt flew at his head and he ducked back around the corner but to slow. the super heated gas just skimmed his skin on the top of his head and incenerated his skin and hair. He screamed in pain and accidentaly squeezed off a couple of shots. His hand instinctly to the wound and he felt a flakey, hot and sticky (please pm me if you think this is not how plasma burn works, im just guessing what would happen) texture on his head. He was in agony, but the worst of the pain had faded a little enabling him to concentrate on the battle at hand. By now everyone was behind cover or shooting something and the covanent had come headlong into the room and hadnt noticed him next to the door. A hot surge of anger flowed through him and he leapt to his feet ignoring the pain and bringing the magnum to bear. two jackals with their backs to him he shot, one in the back and paralysed it and the other in the back of the leg. He grabbed the screaming jackal by the neck and threw it to the deck before slamming the magnum butt into the front of the neck it stopped screaming and started to gag and splutter and he proceeded to beat the living shit out of it, slamming the head on the bulkhead, wacking it with his magnum and punched it until it stopped moving. he tossed the limp head on the deck and stood up before a wave of vertigo hit him and he dropped to one knee.

Logan's vision started to dim and he realised he couldnt feel the pain anymore. He fell on his back and he blacked out.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #28 (Edited)
Fawkes leveled his magnum at the grunt crawling across the floor and pulled the trigger. Bright blue blood splattered across the floor, mingling with the other, similar pools. He looked around at the carnage caused by the team. The only word that he could think of to describe it was, well, impressive.

"Casualty report!" He barked, scanning the room. He saw Corporal Alexander on the floor, blood dribbling out of a serious looking plasma wound on the top of his head. "Dammit!" Cried Fawkes, looking at the squad member's prone form, next to him lay Lance Corporal Baker, a cluster of needles in his chest and a plasma burn on his upper arm. He was very still. Alexander's chest was still gently rising a falling. He was alive.

Fawkes didn't hesitate, he ran to the First Aid kit on the wall, ripping open the door and taking out the medical supplies. He brought them back and began work, applying the various assortment of objects within the box to Alexander, as he had done dozens of times before. Alexander's eyes flickered and a faint groan could be heard.

"Corporal Lancaster! Pick him up!" Fawkes ordered the ODST, gesturing at Alexander's prone form. He turned to face the remaining ODSTs.

He was about to speak when a young woman came down the corridor, a magnum hanging loosely in her hand. She had long flowing blonde hair, pale skin and green eyes. She had a few minor scratches and burns,
"Who are you?" Fawkes asked. "And can you help us out?" He waved her over. He didn't have time to worry about where the woman came from, any and every body available was needed now.

"Listen, I don't know how, but we're under attack. The Covies have got inside, we need to get to the bridge, make sure they don't get Alice, or Earth's location." Fawkes paused for a moment. "Maybe we should head to the armory though, get some better weapons and suit up." He glanced over to the squad. "What do you think we should do?"

OOC:
Another sort of mini-update this time, I'm giving you some choices, either head to the bridge and hope to find some weapons on the way there, or head to the armory and get all the equipment first, leaving more time for the covenant to get to the bridge. Which route will you pick?

Josie: You're squad has been killed and you managed to escape with a magnum. You come round a corner to find the rest of the squad.
Introduce yourself etc.
Techpr1est: You're just waking up, alive but not in great condition. You aren't an any condition to carry anything bigger than a magnum.
Sangus Bane: You're supporting Techpr1est. Hold onto him and don't leave him for dead..
All: Choose which route you think we should take and put it into you're post

(Will add edits with more info, like Josie's character details etc. I would wait for all the info, but people have a few deadlines, so this gives them the necessary time.)

·
Registered
967 Posts
"I vote armoury." John said as he checked Cpl. Alexenders pulse, pupils and reaction.
"If we need to bail ship we'll need our armours." He explained. "And if they've already reached the bridge, well, lets just say we shouldn"t storm it with some pistols." he finished.

Logan was going to be fine, he'd hurt for a while, but the wound didn't seem fatal.

There were mixed reactions to his suggestion but he didn't care, it wasn't a debate, in the end Fawkes would make the call, he only had to convince him.

"Fawkes, sir," John began, helping Logan up. "If they reach the bridge we will need to follow Cole-protocol, and if that means destroying the ship we need to have armour for re-entry."
John could give his officer a dozen more reasons to go for the armoury but he also knew a dozen reasons to go for the bridge first...

Logan grunted something and John shifted to better support him.
"Sorry mate." he said when he realised his length had lifted Logan of the deck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Claire kicked a dead grunt away out of frustration. She checked if everything was dead but then suddenly realised what Fawkes was saying.

John was the first to answer, he made sense but was wrong none the less.
He sugested they went for the armoury first, a sound plan but it was a waste of time if the covies could capture the ship in the meantime.

"Bridge." she said curt and stern. "If they manage to get intell we lose this war. Think about what happens if they find Earth."

She had seen casualty rates of colonies attacked by the covenant, they varied from 40 to 100 percent...

If they found Earth...

·
Registered
257 Posts
With a click, Payne's hand recovered from the effects of the EMP. Davis and Payne had been an effective team, Davis dropping multiple Covenant contacts whilst Payne had protected him from incoming fire with the shield.
'I'll be fine, we should regroup with Fawkes' Payne said to Davis. Davis nodded and returned down the hallway they had come from.
'Damn, he's good' Payne thought to himself, before throwing the Jackal and it's shield to the floor, stamping on it's neck for good measure. He walked back to where all of the ODST's were congregating. Payne regarded Baker with a slight sadness 'Could of been me' He sighed, before turning back towards all the other ODSTs. They had begun to peel off to the armoury or to the bridge respectively. The armoury, can't clear a bridge with a pistol, Payne thought. 'I should go there'. Payne set off at a sprint, only slowing to scoop up his discarded magnum, he knew a shortcut to the armoury anyway, before ducking down the small side-passage that he knew took him straight to the armoury.

(OOC, c+p'd the rest, will put it up in the next update)

·
Registered
122 Posts
They had passed through like a storm, leaving no witnesses. Private Jennifer McKnight lay dazed underneath the wreckage of what used to be the bulkhead. The Covvies had breached quickly, Jennifer was next to the door at the time, the initial explosion knocking her to the ground and covering her in wreckage. They had butchered the rest, one minute they had been having a meeting regarding the oncoming campaign and the next they were all dead. A strike team of elites with energy swords had come in like lightning, butchering her squad the 'deadshots' in a matter of seconds, leaving her for dead.

Jennifer struggled to her feet, picking up a magnum discarded by one of her dead team-mates. She was fine, bar a few scratches and bruises, she looked back at her team, all lying cold, stone dead. She shook her head, before proceeding down the hallway.

After what felt like hours of wandering around, meeting only light resistance in the form of grunts which she swiftly put down with clean headshots, she staggered into a hallway, to be met by several figures, all armed with magnums, bar one with an assault rifle. She staggered towards them. 'Private Jennifer McKnight 188th Sharpshooter Squad, identify yourself'. The reply came from the sergeant, 'I am Sergeant Fawkes, leader of Squad Phoenix, McKnight, are you hurt?'. 'Just a few scrapes and bruises sir' She replied. 'Good, come with us, we need all the men we can get' Fawkes answered.

Jennifer listened to Fawkse's offer of going to the armoury or to the bridge, she reasoned that even if she got to the armoury, she was only really trained at using a Sniper rifle, little use aboard the ship. With this reasoning, she set off the bridge, they would need everyone they could get.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Joseph fired several more rounds before the fight ended. To his credit it looked like 7 or 8 kills total. Not bad he thought as things went silent.
Thanks to Payne neither of them had taken a hit. Joseph smiled looking at the carnage around them. “That’ll teach em,” he said checking his magnum. Last round, with practiced ease a fresh magazine slammed home.
'I'll be fine, we should regroup with Fawkes,' Payne said. Joseph nodded, “Sounds good.”
Turning back the young soldier was a little surprised at how far down the hall they had pushed. Hell yeah, he thought, We made a good team.

As the team regrouped Joseph felt a twinge of sadness. Two of the team had been hit, one would make it. It’s war, he reminded himself, there was nothing you could do. As he listened to Fawkes still some doubt remained. Maybe if they hadn’t separated themselves so far… Joseph pushed the thought aside.

Bridge or Armory. Joseph thought for a moment. “Well sir if someone can carry extra, have them carry my gear. I’ll run with Collins and McKnight for the bridge. We’ll give em hell till you arrive sir.”
As the team prepared to split Joseph knelt down beside Baker’s corpse. He pulled a pistol clip from the dead man’s pocket, and checked the magnum. Didn’t even get a shot off, the soldier thought placing the clips in his pocket.
After taking the clips Joseph turned. “Payne,” he said tossing the magnum he had grabbed earlier. With that he turned and left.
Finish the mission, he told himself remembering that day. It was what the squad leader had told him as the small volunteer unit broke from cover, and give them hell.

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts
Logan opened his eyes to find himself hoisted in the air by his shoulder. He grunted and looked to his right to see John holding him up and moving slowly forward. He pushed off john and landed on his feet. John said something he couldn’t hear properly. "I'm f-fine'' Logan mumbled. He took two steps before his knees folded and fell to the deck. John lifted him into a sitting position. "Listen mate. You’re not fine, You have a mild plasma burn to the head. Just don-" "Fuck off John I’m fine" Logan snapped back. As soon as the words left his mouth he regretted saying it. "Look, I’m sorry it’s just that I’m pissed off and want to shoot something ok?"
John stared into his eyes Logan looked at his feet. There was a distant bang in the ship. There was a dim ache in his head, he didn’t dare touch the wound. He pushed himself on to his knees but before he could stand John lifted him up on his feet. He felt slightly groggy but he was getting better.

He could walk on his own from then on though he stumbled a little sometimes. He fell over at a corner and once again john helped him up. "You know John; I got a couple of sweet Williams in my locker. If we live through this, we are going to share them whether you like it not".
"I might just hold you to that, but let’s just focus on getting out of here alive first, ey mate?" replied john. “wh-where exactly are we going?” Logan asked hoping John would come up with some brilliant plan. “Well I was thinking that we head to the armoury.” John answered with a small smirk on his face. Any man might have thought john a nutcase with the Mohawk and the scar, but to Logan that had bad-ass written all over it.

. . They stumbled around the corner to find an officer of some sort with a hole through his head and an unused magnum lying in his open hand. Logan bent down to pick it up and fell on the corpse. "oh fucken curse this fucken woun-" A plasma discharge finished his sentence as a green bolt smeared the wall where he was standing. Logan looked up to see a jackal looking around a door down the hall with a C like weapon in its hand/claw.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Getting to his feet, it looked to Felix as if the firefight was over for now. Sensing movement out the corner of his eye, he spun, before dropping the aim of his plasma pistol as a young female ODST, Private Jennifer Mcknight he found out after hearing her brief exchange with SGT Fawkes, walked by. Limping slightly from the plasma wound to his left thigh, he moved back into the room, throwing a slight nod to Anthony while passing his hand over his wound indicating he was fine. Watching Anthony begin checking covenant bodies for signs of life, he chuckled and said " no head taking Tony" receiving a slight grin back from his team mate.

" I vote armory " The ODST john said, before the female ODST kicked a grunt and voted Bridge. Watching Payne disappear down the corridor, Felix raised an eyebrow at Anthony before stepping forward towards SGT Fawkes. Standing at attention he began to speak. " Due to recent circumstances, my team's objective has become the armory. Any of your men that wish to accompany Anthony and I are welcome." he said simply, before turning and walking away. Ejecting the magazine from his magnum, which had 9 rounds in it, he tossed it to the ODST Claire. " You are going to need those for the bridge" he said to her. " Suicide is more like it" Anthony muttered to her as they walked out of the room heading for the armory, checking their plasma pistols on the way.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Fawkes listened to the squad's choices and made his decision. He looked at them all, his eyes rested on the girl, McKnight, trying to place her. He'd seen her before, somewhere. Then it clicked, McKnight, Sharpshooter Squad, the Deadshots, she was the one from Hydra II, the one that Sergeant Holmes had talked to him about. She'd grown up on a ship and was a bloody good shot, that was all he knew.Then a sudden, horrible thought gripped him. If McKnight was here, that meant that the rest of the sharpshooters were probably dead. A cold feeling slid up the length of Fawkes' spine. How many are dead?, he thought. How many are still breathing?.

Snapping out of these horrible thoughts, Fawkes surveyed the squad. He looked over towards Logan.
"You holding together OK?"
Logan answered with a nod. Fawkes didn't argue. The wound looked bad, but so did all plasma wounds. He'd had a variety of diagnostics on plasma wounds in his time, ranging from a man dying from a shot that the doctors had said was 'a minor burn', to medics shrugging with no consoling words other than 'it's a plasma wound, you're fucked.' and the man had been fine two days later. Fawkes had made the resolution to let the wounded man decide whether or not he was alright.

Logan was just reaching for a discarded magnum when a plasma pistol shot flew past him. Fawkes didn't hesitate, he spun around and unloaded four shots into the jackal, two to the chest, one to the head and then one more just in case. The jackal fell, purple blood drooling everywhere.

"Right, we've gotta move." Said Fawkes, acutely aware of the weakness of the position they were in. "Let's head to the armory first," He waved in the general direction of the mountains of dead jackals and grunts. "If this is anything to show for, we're gonna need more ammo."

He turned to Claire's retreating form. "Collins!" He shouted after her, using all the authority his years of being sergeant had given him. "Try and round up anyone you can, Helljumpers, Marines, Navy crew, anyone and get them to the bridge, we're gonna need as much as we can get. You can go with her Davis."

He didn't wait for a response but turned to issue his next set of orders.

"McKnight! Alexander! I need you two," He waved the two troopers over. "to get youselves over to the bridge and keep a watch on it, Logan, you're the recon specialist and McKnight, if I remember correctly, you know you're way around a ship."

Fawkes went over to the holo-table again, rummaging in the compartment again. He pulled out a small object. He quickly pocketed it.
Then he walked over to the dead marines outside the door, relieving the bodies of their helmets. He began tearing at the inside of the helmet, ripping out small bundles of wires and tying them back together. In the end he produced three small objects.

"Localized headsets." He explained briefly. "Won't be much good for more than half a kilometer, but it'll do for now."

He chucked one of the headsets to Logan and one to Collins, then pressed the other in his ear. He had no time to check how well they worked, but they'd probably be good enough.

He looked at Alexander and McKnight.
"You two are going to check out the bridge, keep me updated on how things are going, but no heroics. Go in quiet, don't attract any attention. Wait till we show up."

"Both units, keep me updated."

He turned round to the remainder of the squad.
"The rest of you, with me. We're headed for the armory. Whatever the covies packing, these aren't gonna be enough to break through their lines. Let's get some guns and get back to the bridge."

Fawkes bent down over the dead marines again, picking up the remaining assault rifle and the two spare ammo clips. He threw the rifle and ammunition to Davis.

"Here, use this to keep their heads down."

He waved forward his team
"Alright everyone, let's go." He turned to his team. "Payne, you take point, Lancaster, stay tight behind him. And Spartans," He turned to the two tall figures. "You guard the rear."

OOC:
Techpr1est + Josie: You guys have got to sneak through the ship, avoiding any covenant patrols and keep watch on the bridge. Both of you should agree on the route you're taking (Vents, underfloor paneling, secret passageways from the conservatory, etc.), I'll PM you with what you can see. Only Techpr1est has a headset, so he will be the one contacting the other teams.

Po-D and G0arr: You have to go around and rally up a fighting force to save the bridge. Remember, few will have weapons and even fewer with anything more powerful than a magnum. Get them together then head to the bridge, but don't engage with the enemy, just write up to where you see the enemy. Only Po-D has a headset, so she'll be the one contacting other teams.

The rest: Go through the various corridors and reach the armory, we will meet some resistance but don't overdo it, we can't fight through three elites with just magnums, there's only six of us. I'll tell you if you're overdoing it.

Spartans: You already have you're objective.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Armory.

Good, John thought as he checked his magnum for the sixth or seventh time. He was anxious, though he didn't know why. Pherhaps it had something to do with that Payne fellow... He seemed to be one hell of a soldier but a bit reckless. Throughout John's military carrier he had learned not to be reckless, eventually the hard way.

Payne had his weapon raised as he turned around corners, John was right behind him, always covering one side of the corridor or an alligned corridor whenever they came across an intersection.

Movement. John aimed for it in a fraction of a second, it was just a shadow, cast by a fire burning in an elevator shaft. He relaxed, the tension was clear on him as he saw Fawkes assess his movements.

"Contact!" Someone shouted. John saw it, at least 5 Jackals and double that amount of Grunts. The squad started firing, scoring plenty off kills in just a few seconds, though they now had alarmed the boarding forces. John checked his magnum before more covvies could show up, and suddenly realised it was the tenth time he checked.

·
Registered
257 Posts
They had had to run, the sounds of gunfire had brought several elites to the fight, something Payne and Lancaster couldn't handle. Payne had run ahead, looking for his secret access. And he had found it

Payne poked his head out of the vent, ushering the running Lancaster to join him.

'What took you so long boss?? Never mind. What we have here is the magical shortcut to pixieland' Payne joked sardonically. Lancaster explained Fawkses speech to Payne briefly and explained that he had a short wave headset. It pleased Payne that the ODSTs were finally getting their act together.

'Right, so, this vent takes us straight to the corridor outside the armoury'. Lancaster nodded as Payne continued. 'Unfortunately, the Covvies have released a ton of buggers onto the ship, making it hard to navigate for fear of being shot in the ass.' Payne explained. 'So, my grand plan is that I'll crawl through, drop down, give the old knock on the vents to signal all clear, and you come through after me. However, in the meantime, you need to stay here and guard the entrance, especially from those drones. Don't worry, I'll only be gone for a minute or two. We'll be back in time for tea.'

Lancaster seemed to think about the plan for a while and nodded, fiddling with that datapad of his. Payne turned and started crawling into the shafts. He only had to crawl for a few seconds before he found the grille above the main corridor outside the armoury. To his horror, there was an elite down there, and by the looks of it, it was trying to cut open the armoury door with its energy sword.
'Bollocks' Payne whispered. He couldn't turn around to signal Lancaster due to the cramped confines of the shaft, nor could he shout, for fear of alerting the elite. 'Shit, why am I doing this?' He whispered again, gently unscrewing the screws holding the grille in place. He lifted it off and poked his head down, to his surprise the corridor was deserted save for the elite. The elite finished cutting, and proceeded to give the wall a boot, caving it in. With this distraction, Payne dropped down into the hallway, behind the elite, as it repowered it's energy sword, still unaware of his prescence.
'Oy Split-Jaws' Payne shouted as he stepped behind it, 'Early retirement for you', as he pushed the magnum into the base of its spine, loosing three shots, dropping it to its knees, and then unloading the rest of the clip into the back of its head, spraying Payne with gore. Above him, he could hear lots of magnum fire coming from the shaft. Lancaster!
'Lancaster, get down the shaft, its clear' Payne shouted, furiously smacking it, sending the signal. Hearing Lancaster moving down the vent reassured him, but he was still under attack by some unknown assailant. As he dropped down, Payne was shocked to see him covered in alien gore, by the looks of it, he had taken on a whole load of covvies.
'Nice one sir'
'You've made a mess Private' Lancaster said, gesturing to the elite.
'Only thing I'm good at' Payne replied

They stepped through the hole kindly provided by the elite. Lancaster disappeared off, on the headset, communicating with Fawkes. Payne went straight to the confiscated items, he wanted his knife back. Ripping off the locked door with his metal hand, Payne opened the draw marked Pvt Tristan Payne. Nothing but a packet of cigs and a magnum featuring his old squads insignia. 'Fuck that'. There was a small note, reading 'Covenant energy knife destroyed per orders of Sgt S Fawkes'. 'THE BASTARD' Payne angrily shouted, retrieving his items and tipping the locker over, grabbing a shotgun from the rack. 'After this, I've got a bone to pick with him.'

·
Registered
424 Posts
"Alright everyone, let's go." He turned to his team. "Payne, you take point, Lancaster, stay tight behind him. And Spartans," He turned to the two tall figures. "You guard the rear."

" Negative sir, your orders are secondary to our main objective. Anthony and I will be taking point to the armory." Felix said to sgt Fawkes, priming his plasma pistol and shouldering past the other ODSTs with Anthony right behind him. Smirking at the group, Anthony took the right side of the corridor as Felix took the left, and they set off at a fast pace, expertly turning corners and clearing corridors. Turning a corner Anythony came face to face with an Elite followed by a few grunts and a jackal. Snarling he yelled " Split lip" before smashing his fist into the aliens gut, doubling it over and following his fist by a knee to the face, sending the monster reeling back.

Covering his partner, Felix overcharged his plasma pistol, releasing the trigger and sending a ball of superheated plasma directly into the elites chest. As it's shield overloaded he began to take fire from the grunts and rolled back behind the corridor as the elite fell, the back of it's head a mess of brain and blood as the magnum round from Anthony took it in the face. Both standing in cover, the spartan headhunter team signaled to the ODSTs, confident they could take a few jackals and grunts.

·
Registered
657 Posts
"uuugh,what happened,"light came beaming into my eyes.as my eyes readjusted i suddenly felt a wave of pain rush through my senses,my muscles ached incredibly.upon looking around i saw why,the room was on fire and a desk pinned me to the ground.with a struggle i managed to crawl out from under it and drag myself towards the entrance.
"what happened here,"i whispered to myself as i gazed upon the entrance,something had blown the doors flying across the room."i guess thats probably why that desk got blown on top of me,"i thought to myself.

as i pushed myself to my feet i slowly limped to the opening,upon gazing out i saw the bodies of jackals and marines litter the floor.
"damn covies,how in reach's name did they get on board,"i thought furiously.
in my anger i limped quickly out of the room towards the junction,to my right i heard a roar of anger.All i could see was an elite major infantry class charge towards me,in my weakened stage i knew fighting was definatly not a good idea so i quickly dived out of the path of the elite just in time to see him run straight into the wall behind me.i quickly jamp up and ran down one of the corridors,i spent who knows how long turning round corners,sneaking past jackals and running down corridors till finally i heard something.

'Lancaster, get down the shaft, its clear' came a voice from around the next corner.
'You've made a mess Private' came a second voice.
'Only thing I'm good at" replied the first voice.

slowly and carefully i sneaked to the corner,as i stood up against the wall getting ready to see who was there i was stopped mid thought
'THE BASTARD'yelled the first voice.
before i could react a plasma shot flew past my head and hit the wall,damn covies.
i quickly spun around to see my attacker.

21 - 40 of 173 Posts