Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First Sergeant Samuel Fawkes woke, the door to his cryo chamber sliding open with a hiss. He stepped out, naked and grasped a towel from the rail next to him. Wrapping it around him, he saw a marine approaching. The soldier greeted him with a salute and directed him to a locker containing his clothes, which he hurriedly put on. He saw no one around the changing rooms. Good. He thought. He'd asked to be woken a little before his squad, so he could get his bearings and a proper briefing together, he knew the mission, but didn't want to demoralize the troops with a horrible, half made assessment of the battle. Freezer burn was causing him to ache all over and he cursed the awkward system which cryo-sleep used.
He made his way briskly and calmly towards the briefing room. As he was walking down the corridor, several technicians ran past him, one hitting him hard in the shoulder as he passed. Fawkes span around from the force of the impact and the technician fell sprawled on the floor.

“Sorry sir.” He mumbled, picking himself up. He was about to run off again, but Fawkes put a hand heavily on his shoulder, pulling the technician round to face him.

“Where are you in such a hurry to go?” Asked Fawkes, both irritated and curious.

“Slipspace drive needs repairs, sir, we’ve gotta get there fast, don’t want to end up like Georgia.” Replied the technician.

“Georgia?” Fawkes asked, perplexed.

“The UNSC Georgia, frigate class, slipspace drive malfunctioned and-“ The technician stopped. “Actually sir, you probably don’t want to know.”

Then, without another word, the technician ran off after his fellows. Fawkes watched him running, feeling a little uncertain. What happened to Georgia? He wondered.

Shaking the thought off he walked away, towards the briefing room, where he would meet up with his new squad. Reaching the briefing desk, he opened up the personnel system in the archives. He searched up 'ODST: Squad Phoenix: Active Roster. Skipping his own, Fawkes read the rest of the team's files.

Name: John Lancaster
Service started: 2525
Service Record: Maintenance staff, Combat role on Ilaris, Deployment on DATA CLASSIFIED: TEIR 1 INTEL, Service to ONI on multiple accounts.
Fawkes was intrigued by this one, from maintenance staff to to secret ONI missions beyond even his relatively elevated clearance in just 12 years, that was an impressive record. Ilaris was no walk in the park either, that planet fell hard and fast. Casualty reports were huge, on both sides. Fawkes wondered about his demotion. What was it for? Hopefully not assault of a fellow soldier or cowardice. As long as it's neither of those, Thought Fawkes. Then he's good enough for me. He pulled up the next file.

Name: Tristan Payne
Service started: 24/7/2509
Service Record: Defensive role on Miasma, Combat role on Miasma, Deployment on Operation: ACHILLES (Faliure), Service to ODST 148th company.
Fawkes had known about the Miasma campaign, that was a tough fight, the combat was incredibly drawn out, when the planet was glassed, fighting had been going on for months. This one, Payne, would be a pretty tough soldier. Operation: ACHILLES had been hard to find, he'd only just had the clearance to do it. Spartans and ODSTs hunting for an Elite Field Marshal, a damned high value target. Turned out to be a trap, lot of men dead. Still, this one was almost definitely going to be a good soldier.
The next file came into view at Fawkes' command.

Name: Logan Alexander
Service started: 12/3/2527
Service Record: Combat role on Omegon IV *Note*: caused minor grunt mutiny.
Fawkes chuckled softly at this, He'd heard of that when he'd been deployed on Omegon IV, quite some way away from the event, but word had travelled very fast. He was getting the lad that did it. The rumors flying around at the time had created a sort of contest between ODSTs and most of the rest of the UNSC forces there. The ODSTs stuck firmly to the belief that one of their own had caused the grunt mutiny, whereas everyone else thought it was Spartans who had done it. Fawkes was pleased to know that the true culprit was indeed an ODST. He summoned up the next file.

Name: Martin Baker
Service started: 01/12/2521
Service Record: Extensive combat role on Rethymno.
Rethymno, now that had been one of the most heroic UNSC defeats that Fawkes had heard of. First and second Covenant assaults had been repelled, by extreme skill, luck and determination from it's defenders. Many lives had been lost, but each one had gone down fighting. Rethymno had been taken when a huge frontal offensive from the covenant, including no less than three super-carriers and dozens of corvettes had struck almost simultaneously. The reports said that the fighting was bitter, but nothing could have stopped that sort of force. Fawkes thought that this Baker fellow would have had to be a damned fine soldier simply getting out alive.

Name: Claire Collins
Service started: 2524
Service Record: Service Ilirium

The only girl in the team. She'd been on Ilirium, she'd probably been a part of the massacre. Tens of millions were killed there, the UNSC forces that were deployed had been minimal, less than one hundred and fifty marines. They fought well, but didn't stand a chance. If this Collins girl had made it out alive, she was, at the very least, lucky and probably pretty damned skilled. Luck was the best trait a soldier could have, in Fawkes' opinion.

Name: Zetan Sherman
Service started: 05/7/2518
Service Record: Anti-insurrectionist combat, awarded medals for bravery.

Fawkes had heard of Sherman. An old friend from Squad Gorilla had told Fawkes about him. He remembered the phrase 'Tough bastard' coming up, as well as hearing that he'd been an Innie POW for three weeks, before escaping and dragging the Innie leader with him. A valuable member to the team, to say the least. He pulled up the final file.

Name: Private Joseph Davis
Service started: 2528
Service record: Defence on *Data corrupted/unavailable*

Fawkes was mildly annoyed, the lack of data as to this trooper. The trooper was obviously fairly green, but he'd been told that Davis had been a part of an alleged 'suicide mission', which ironically saved his life. An old friend of Fawkes', the man who had trained Davis, had said that the kid was perfect to get Phoenix back to it's original prestige. He was, 'Brave and a perhaps a little crazy' according to the trainer. All ODST qualities. Thought Fawkes.

Fawkes fairly impressed in all cases. These guys have been in some of the thickest fights in the war. He thought. They’d better be as good as the files suggest. Then a marine walked in, clutching a thin data slate. The young marine saluted to Fawkes, then handed over a data slate.

“Message for you, sir.” He said. Fawkes looked at the small screen:

To: 1st Sergeant S. Fawkes

Sergeant Fawkes, this message has been sent to inform you that you're squad is being selected by ONI to work alongside a Clearance 1 unit. They have been issued with orders to follow your commands unless they contrast with their primary objectives. They will be meeting you at the same time as your new squad.

Yours sincerely,
Jacob Vermoy, ONI

Clearance 1, thought Fawkes as the marine silently left the room. That could mean one of two things: Either he was getting ONI Spooks, or Spartans. He didn't know which idea he liked less. If it was a Spook, they would have some high and mighty mission which would almost definitely get the squad killed. Fawkes would willingly fall in the defence of humanity, but he would at least like to know what he was dying for.
On the other hand, while he had no problem with Spartans personally, but the same could not be said of the rest of his team. He knew for a fact that several members had bad blood between them and Spartans, as well as the generally borderline aggressive competitiveness that ODSTs showed towards Spartans.

Then he turned to the briefing table, a holographic display of the planet and the ships around it coming into display. He watched as the ships slid past each other and red dots flickered into life on the planet’s translucent surface.
After ten minutes he straightened up, walked over to a spot meaning that the holographic projector was between him and the door. He stood there, waiting for the new team members to enter.

OOC:
Welcome everyone! The 'Georgia' thing is much more for the benefit of Red vs Blue fans than anything else, Btw.
ODSTs
You are just waking from Cryo-sleep. You have no weapons or armour at the current time, just make your way to the briefing room, this post doesn't have to be too long. Just describe a thing or two about what your character is seeing/thinking.
Spartans
Just the same, except for the fact that you have been briefed by Captain Vermoy to meet you're new CO (me).

P.S. This is my first ever RP as GM, please tell me if anything has been done wrong.

·
Registered
657 Posts
zetan's eyes opened,the light blinding at first but soon his vision returned to him.he had been in cyro-sleep, the effects of cyro-sleep weren't desirable but he wasn't on to complain.upon regaining his vision he climbed out of the chamber and wrapped a towel around his waist.he walked bare footed across the cold floor to a locker containing some of his clothes.he looked around and saw the other members of squad Phoenix getting ready aswell.once he had fully dressed himself he walked over to a marine,the marine said to him "follow this corridor and you should find first sergeant Fawkes waiting for you."
quietly zetan walked along the corridor peeping into the rooms to see what was going on,he passed a few worried technicians but he didn't stop them as he couldn't care less about there stupid problems.zetan was approaching the room now,he was the first one there but he could hear someone else.upon looking behind him he could see another member of his squad walking along and strangely blurted out zetan's name,zetan didn't know much about his squad and he didn't want to,all he cared about was that they didn't get in his way.

ooc. if this isn't enough just say

·
Registered
310 Posts
Joseph slowly opened his eyes and glanced around. His vision was slowly adjusting as he swallowed. “Damnit,” he whispered flexing his arms and legs. It felt like he had been running for hours, not waking up from cryo. “That old man was right,” Joseph said taking his first step from the pod, “that stuff tastes terrible.” He could still remember the training clear in his mind. 'You may feel some discomfort as you awaken. This is normal and should pass in only a few hours, depending on how restless you really were. Remember that there is an inhalant administered during your sleep. You will do good to ingest that stuff, even if it tastes like runny eggs.' “Would rather have the eggs,” the young marine said moving toward his locker.

Joseph slowly shook off the grogginess and began to feel a little more like himself. By the time he pulled clothing on others were moving. He could hear the sound of bare feet slapping against the cold deck plating. “Morning,” Joseph boomed back into the room as he pulled the last of his uniform on. The feeling of 'freezer burn' in his joints was already lessening. The damned meds were bleeding out of his system. Good, Joseph thought with a smile. Now it was time for him to bleed some of the concoction from his system entirely.

“Sir,” a marine said as Joseph moved into the coridor. Joseph spun and looked. Another grunt, private by the uniform. The two snapped a salute to each other. “First Sergeant has request you meet him in the briefing room.” “Thank you,” Joseph said with a parting smile, “By the by you wouldn't happen to know where the pisser is would you?” The marine pointed. “Thank you kindly,” were the last words before Joseph padded down the hall.

It was a releif to be rid of part of the drugs in his system as Joseph moved back into the hall. “Alright,” he said to himself glancing around, “The head, the cryo room, let me see...” His voice trailed off as he tried to remember his breifing. Joseph had arrived late, almost missed the boat. Not exactly the best impression. Everything from there was a whirlwind in his mind. A quick show and tell about the ship, stowing gear, and then sleepy time. Looking around Joseph almost wondered what all the tech's were up to. Must be somthing compleatly spacy, he decided. “Now what... Oh yeah, briefing room,” he said after a few seconds.

As Joseph moved he spotted another of the squad. Good, he though, won't be stuck in there alone with the CO. Alright just gotta remember the name... it was a Z name... how many of those could there be? Zed, zedda, zelda... no that's not it. Zet-somthing.
As they began to march toward the room names still filled his head. Damnit what was it? As he approached Joseph still tried to remember the name. The other ODST trooper turned revealing the uniform patch, rank, and... “Zetan,” he said, “That's it.” There was an awkward silence at least as far as the young private could tell. Joseph snapped to attention and offered a salute. “Morning Sir,” he said politely. It was rather hard for him to remember that he was possibly the newest member of the squad, shareing the lowest rank with one other. Joseph waited for what would happen next, be it a blow off or a friendly reception after blurting out the Corporal's name.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Waking quickly, Felix waited for the lid of his fridge to pop open, before stepping out and grabbing a towel off the rack next to him. Wiping himself down from head to toe, he ignored the burning in his joints and nausea from the freeze as he walked over to the lockers where their uniforms were stowed as he heard the other half of his team, Anthony, get out of his fridge. Dressing quickly and quietly, making sure his uniform was immaculate, he turned to Anthony. " Since we are going on another trip with some ODSTs, try not to scare the shit out of these ones, eh Tony?" he said, chuckling slightly. "Hurry up" He said with a slight grin as he left the cryobay, heading towards the briefing room.

As he walked briskly down the halls of the ship, his mind went back to the briefing they had had with the ships Captain, basically telling them they were to be under the command of an ODST first sgt by the name of Samuel Fawkes, and they were to obey his orders unless they conflicted with their mission objective. Arriving at the briefing room, Felix stood next to the door waiting for Spartan 019 to get there before entering.

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts
Logan stumbled out of the cyro-pod and fell to his knees before spitting out a thick, sticky liquid onto the deck. He hated cyro pods, hed rather sleep on the floor. A hand grabbed his shoulder and pulled him to his feet with little trouble, He grabbed a white towel and turned around to thank the person but he couldnt identify who it was. everyone was putting on towels or stretching, not paying any attention to him. It didnt matter. He pulled on a grey shirt and long black pants before putting on his socks. He was dimly aware of his joints being very painful but he ignored the pain and continued to get dressed.

Logan heard a voice informing someone that the seargent was waiting for them. and briskly strode after the four ODSTs that were already leaving the room. He tried to get the aftertaste of the nutrient goo out of his mouth by spitting a few times before entering the next room...

this is also my first rp pm me if i did anything wrong

·
Registered
257 Posts
Payne was instantly hit by a huge wave of nausea the second he woke up. There seemed to be a commotion going on outside the pod.
'Dammit, the thing won't open!' A engineer shouted
'Try harder! Fawkes wants him out now, trust me, you don't wanna piss off those odst types, 'specially not him' Another shouted.
'Erm, ladies, get me outta this pod before I smash it open myself' Payne warned, flexing his fist to make his point.
At last the poor engineer managed to pry the pod open and Payne strode out, then berated the pair. 'Seriously, you're meant to MAINTAIN the bloody pods'
The engineers both nodded then nervously scuttled out of the room.

The room was bare save for the pod and a locker. Payne opened the locker to examine it's contents. Payne looked up and down in disgust.
'Where's my knife? Where's my bloody knife?!'
A voice over the intercom chimed 'Private, it was removed and destroyed due to being Covenant contraband'
Payne uttered a foul curse, removed the contents of the locker and slammed the door in annoyance.
He pulled on the black naval shipboard uniform that were provided and used the cleaning kit to provide a quick maintenance of his metal hand.
'Hold on! When I went into cryo I was with the other ODSTs, why am I in solitary?'
The voice came over the intercom again, instantly answering him

'Private, before you join the rest of your team, there are two officers here to brief you on your conduct.'
The door opened and two officers in full military police armour walked in, both carrying weaponry, Payne noticed.
'Come on! I've been out five minutes and you already want to arrest me?!' Payne shouted, outraged.
'No private' One of the Military Police spoke, a woman, 'We are simply here to brief you on your conduct. It came to our attention that you have recieved 17 disciplinary counts against you. 5 for insubordination, 3 for possession of Covenant contraband, 6 for openly hostile acts against members of Spartan forces aboard a USMC carrier, 2 for openly hostile acts against members of Spartan forces in a theatre of war, and one count of being highly intoxicated on duty'
'Well, you see-' Payne was cut off as the MP started again.
'Private Payne, despite this you have almost double the amount of commendations for bravery and achievement than disciplinary counts, which I guess is why ONI sees it fit that you are placed somewhere where you can disrupt the enemy, not us. Which is why you have been placed in a combat orientated ODST squad under First Sergeant Fawkes. You are to be gived free reign and access to all areas of the ship as per standard ODST procedure. However, one tiny slip up, and no amount of ONI bullcrap is gonna save you, do you understand?'
'Yes Ma'am'
'If I had my way we'd jettison your pod into space, WITH you in it'

Payne left the room under the watchful gaze of the two MPs. 'I get the impression they somewhat don't trust me' Payne thought, amused.
He stopped a passing crewmember. 'Oy! Which way to the Briefing and Ops centre?'
The crewmember turned around. 'First thing, OY! is not a proper way to address someone. Furthermore I believe you should add a 'Sir' to the end of that sentence, owing to the fact that I am actually the captain of the ship'
Payne looked on, bemused, spotting the sign directing him to the centre. 'Never mind, your majesty, I'll find it myself'
As he left the annoyed Captain behind and made his way to the meeting place he chuckled inwardly to himself, 'Been awake 10 minutes and I've already managed to piss off three important people'

(Sorry for the long post, I've got not much better to do XD )

·
Registered
967 Posts
John was cold. He opened his eyes and was breathing hard.
He growled and flexed his muscles. When he hit the sides of the cryo pod he remembered where he was.
"Right..." he said.

The pod opened and an engineer helped him out.

John could see other pods were already opened. Three pods to his left a young woman stepped from a pod, refusing to let the engineers help her.
He looked at her, smiled and winked.
She shook her head and walked off to the showers.
"Whats her deal?" an engineer asked.
John patted him on the back.
"Women, eh?" he said laughing and he followed the woman to the lockerrooms.

He took a quick shower, realising his brain was still warming up as he couldn't keep track of his thoughts.

He grabbed some pants and a dark t-shirt. He fixed his hair, securing the mohawk, and went on his way.

He joined the young woman in the corridor and made his way to the briefing room.
"John." he said, offering his hand.
"Claire." she replied. She shook his hand and smiled at him.

Before they could continue their introduction an engineer walked towards them.
"Corporal Lancaster?" he asked.
John confirmed the engineer's suspicions.
"Sergeant Fawkes wants you in the briefing room right now, sir."

"Off course." John said. "Lets go." he said to Claire and they picked up the pace.

When they arrived at the briefing room John could tell he was late. The squad was already gathered around the hologram.

"Good morning." someone shouted through the room.
'Oh, this is going to be great.' John thought to himself, maybe thinking out loud.

John saw their faces, most of them looked like properly experienced veterans, which was good. He could count on them, right?

"Really great." he mumpled, making his way to Sgt. Fawkes.

·
Registered
59 Posts
It was like being water boarded. Suddenly everything was cold and she was breathing hard.

'Cryo pod. ODST. Mission?" she thought, trying to assess her situation. She felt nausius, though only briefly.
The pod opened and an man in engineers atire offered to help her get out.
Claire didn't accept his offer, she could get out on her own.

TO her left, a man was stretching and flexxing, he probably just got out of his cryo pod.
He saw her and smiled. He winked at her in a charming way, but she wasn't impressed.
She shook her head and started walking towards the showers, the sensation of moving feeling slightly awkward.
She heard some voices behind her but didn't hear what they said.

The warm shower was a relieve, she hated cryo, she hated being cold, she hated not being able to wake up on her own. The stream suddenly ended and she grabbed a towel.

She grabbed some clothes which didn't really fit but that didn't matter. She tucked the tanktop into her pants to make it slighly less awkward.
She walked into the corridor.

She made two steps when the man from before joined her.
" John." he said, offering his hand.
"Claire." she said, shaking his hand and smiling friendly.
It was only now that she noticed how tall John was. Was he a SPARTAN? No, he was human, it was pretty obvious.

An engineer approached them.
"Corporal Lancaster?" the engineer asked.
Claire wanted to say no but John already answered.
"Aye." he said.
"Sergeant Fawkes wants you in the briefing room right now, sir."
"Off course." John said. "Lets go." he said to her and they picked up the pace.

When they arrived Claire saw she was one of the last to arrive, no problem.
She tried to read the faces of the men assembled, but her mind was still a bit numb.

"Good morning." someone shouted.
She smiled.
'They'll do.' she thought to herself and she followed John, making her way to the squad leader.

·
Reaper of Souls
1,303 Posts
The door opened and 2 figures stepped in. The sight had 1 or 2 of the ODST’s scrambling for pistols in empty holsters. “Bloody Spartans” 1 exclaimed, a slight bitterness and anger in his tone. Felix stepped forward. “Spartans 046 and 019 reporting for duty sir,” he said, snapping to attention.

“At ease gentleman” Fawkes said.

Felix fell back into his normal mindset. Make friends and blow shit up. The other Spartan remained perfectly still but finally, after a few tense moments and a dig in the ribs from Felix relaxed. “Who do you want dead now sergeant?” I said in a voice as cutting as it was cold then gave a humourless, callous laugh…

Cryo-sleep. Perfect way to pass the time during long jumps. Freezer burn was the main problem. Go in with a cast on a broken limb and you’d come out with the skin raw and blistering. Dreamless too. Good. All I ever saw were the faces of my dead brothers and sisters. All 298 of them. Dead on K7-49.

Matt falls, a plasma bolt burning through his thigh. I try to go back for him. Will pulls me back, makes me keep on running. He goes back himself. I turn, brace the sniper against my shoulder. My first round blows a Sangheili major’s head off. My second hits a collection of plasma canisters. They go off in quick succession, incinerating screaming Grunts. A roar to my right. Felix is under attack from 3 Sangheili Zealots. I shift aim, focusing on the nearest one’s head. I am suddenly tackled, the rifle flying from my grip. I scream in rage and hate as the Sangheili raises his energy sword.

I lash out and he staggers back, clutching the side of his head where my knife juts out. He falls. Will is dead, hit in the face by an Mgalekgolo’s energy cannon bolt. Matt climbs to his feet, screams at me to run, turning to the Mgalekgolo. He takes one down with a burst of rifle fire and a grenade. The second roars and slams him aside with its shield. He is already dead. Trusting my life to the Gods I turn and fire. My round rips through the throat of the Zealot pinning Felix.

He is already climbing to his feet, snatching its energy sword out of the air as he turns to the other 2.

I hear a roar and a strange slithering sound as the Hunter raises its shield to bring it crashing down on my head. I duck and roll to one side, dodging the blow by millimeters. I slam a palm into the Hunter’s unarmoured midsection. I clench my fist and tear it away, ripping a clutch of the Lekgolo free of their hive brothers. I draw my magnum and step back, opening fire. The Hunter staggers as the heavy rounds slam into it. It raises its cannon. There is a strange sound. It sounds as if the Hunter is laughing. Then Felix is there.

He tackles the Hunter, bringing it down with a clatter. He rolls away from it and tosses me his shotgun. Before the Hunter can stand I rack the slide and fire. It blows the Lekgolo apart.

I toss it back to Felix and he catches, pumping the slide as he does so and, turning, blasts a Sangheili backwards. All around us our fellow Spartans are dying. There Shane and Robert go down. They had been carrying Jane. All three were dead, the Covenant already streaming away to attack others. We run. There is nothing we can do…

I woke with a gasp. Damn that thaw period. They put me into natural sleep and the dreams come. Thank God it’s so short. The pod slid open and I sat on the rim, head down as I shook the dreams from my mind. This was a time to be ready for combat.

I stood and nodded to Felix.

We stepped to the lockers almost in unison and got dressed.

Turning to me Felix began to speak. “Since we are going on another trip with some ODST’s, try not to scare the shit out of these ones, eh Tony?” He chuckled slightly. He turned and, as a parting word said “Hurry up.” As he did so a slight grin tugged at the corner of his mouth. Then he stepped out.

I had been dressed quicker than him but he had said that because I was toying with the small knife that slid into the sheath concealed in my left boot. The holster at my hip was empty to my great consternation. We were working with ODST’s for Christ’s sake. These guys believed Spartans like me and Felix were freaks of nature usurping their ‘rightful’ position as the best soldiers humanity has to offer.

Still Vermoy had said to play nice so I placed the knife back in the locker.

My mind ran over the briefing as I walked. This sergeant. Fawkes. Was the leader of the famous, or infamous, ODST ‘Squad Phoenix’. He was said to be good. I would wait to see him in action before judging. I joined Felix at the door and we stepped through…

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Fawkes looked up from the holo-map as the squad filed into the room.
They were all here, good. Thought Fawkes. He looked around at the assembled ODSTs. They all saluted when they entered. "At ease." he said calmly and they all assumed less formal poses.

Fawkes picked out Payne as he took his spot. "Private Payne, I hear you've been making friends around the ship." He tried and failed to suppress a grin, remembering Captain Norwich's outraged voice as he had spoken to Fawkes of the trooper's lack of discipline. Norwich was universally known as a stuck up prick, very few crew members were willing to defend him and even fewer liked him. Still, he outranked basically everyone on board, so whilst he was treated with little more than contempt by most, it was well-disguised contempt. When he'd been contacted by the distraught Norwich, Fawkes had promised to speak with Payne about the incident and now he had. He cleared his throat and looked around at the assembled ODSTs.

"Alright, ladies and gentlemen." He began. "As I'm sure you already know, I'm First Sergeant Fawkes. It's my pleasure to welcome you to Squad Phoenix. We're approaching the planet Elysium now." He tapped a button on the holo-projector and an image of the planet came up, revolving slowly.

"Alice." He said. The soft, female voice of the ship's AI, Alice, came from the projector's speakers.

"Elysium: This planet is home to a comparatively small number of people, about ten million. About 80,000 of those people own a fifth of it's habitable area. It contains the second largest collection of holiday homes on any UEG controlled planet, the first being Luna, or course." Alice paused for a moment, before continuing. "Exactly seventeen days, four hours and fifty three minutes ago, a Covenant fleet came into contact with Elysium's defenses. The Covenant attack has caused significantly less casualties than expected owing to the lack of heavy orbital bombardment employed by the covenant. They have only used in-atmosphere assaults on the planet, however, in numbers that are more than sufficient to overrun the current defenses of the planet."

Fawkes cut in and Alice became silent.

"Basically, the Covenant haven't glassed Elysium yet, which means that they want something down there. Now as you all probably know, if the Covenant want's something, then it's probably bad news." He paused, allowing each squad member to formulate their own ideas on what the Covenant may want with the planet.

"We don't know what they want, but we can be sure that it's on the planet. So the overall objective is to kick their ugly asses off this planet and keep them off."

Two tall people walked into the room, Spartans thought Fawkes. He realized, with a sudden, uncomfortable jolt, that the squad did not know about the 'special backup' they were receiving.

"Oh, yes." He said, feeling a little nervous. "I just learned that ONI's got something special in mind for us, so we're going to be fighting alongside a Spartan headhunter team." He gestured to the Spartans who had just entered, he didn't expect the squad wouldn't react too badly. Even so, he'd asked for two marines to serve as a security detail, just in case.

OOC: Alright everyone, this is a sort of half-update, this is a chance to react to the various pieces of information before the action starts. Say what you want to say etc. This post doesn't have to be too long, an average of 2-4 paragraphs, though I won't object to more. But the next update will be around Friday-Saturday, unless someone has a good reason to object to this.

·
Registered
967 Posts
John swallowed hard when he heard the AI speak. Her voice was very familiar and reminded him of his time with ONI.

So, Elysium, he had read about this world, even planned to find a place here after his military carreer, seems like that won't happen anytime soon... Especially if the Covies wanted something out of it. Technology or Information most likely, maybe Forerunner.

"Oh, yes." Fawkes said. "I just learned that ONI's got something special in mind for us, so we're going to be fighting alongside a Spartan headhunter team."
John looked up at the sergeant. He turned around and saw two Spartans walk in the room.
Personaly he didn't dislike Spartans, during his time with ONI he had worked alongside them on a few occasions. He wasn't fond of them either.

He looked at the others, some seemed panicked or angered, one even reaching for an empty holster. The partans weren't impressed, they were hard to impress for that matter.
"This just keeps getting better and better." John said.

Then he realised the direness of the situation. If two Spartans would accompany them, this was going to be worse than he first thought, way worse...

·
Registered
657 Posts
as everyone had sat down zetan looked over at Fawkes to hear his debrief,just as a member of the squad was about to sit down Fawkes called him out "Private Payne, I hear you've been making friends around the ship."
zetan didn't know what he was on about but he couldn't care less, as Payne sat down Fawkes got ready to speak.
"Alright, ladies and gentlemen." Fawkes began. "As I'm sure you already know, I'm First Sergeant Fawkes. It's my pleasure to welcome you to Squad Phoenix. We're approaching the planet Elysium now." He tapped a button on the holo-projector and an image of the planet came up, revolving slowly.

"Alice." called Fawkes said. The soft, female voice of the ship's AI, Alice, came from the projector's speakers.
"Elysium: This planet is home to a comparatively small number of people, about ten million. About 80,000 of those people own a fifth of it's habitable area. It contains the second largest collection of holiday homes on any UEG controlled planet, the first being Luna, or course." Alice paused for a moment, before continuing. "Exactly seventeen days, four hours and fifty three minutes ago, a Covenant fleet came into contact with Elysium's defenses. The Covenant attack has caused significantly less casualties than expected owing to the lack of heavy orbital bombardment employed by the covenant. They have only used in-atmosphere assaults on the planet, however, in numbers that are more than sufficient to overrun the current defenses of the planet."
Fawkes cut her off before she could say any more.
"Basically, the Covenant haven't glassed Elysium yet, which means that they want something down there. Now as you all probably know, if the Covenant want's something, then it's probably bad news." We don't know what they want, but we can be sure that it's on the planet. So the overall objective is to kick their ugly asses off this planet and keep them off."

just as Fawkes had stopped talking to tall men walked into the room,from the stubborn and better than you look on there faces Zetan found it easy to tell that these were spartans,suddenly Fawkes started to speak again."Oh, yes."said Fawkes, feeling a little nervous. "I just learned that ONI's got something special in mind for us, so we're going to be fighting alongside a Spartan headhunter team."

what in sangheii's name did they send a spartan team,odst were perfectly ok doing this by themselves but no those selfish bastards had to intervene.well at least there would be someone on this trip who could even try to match zetan's skill.

·
Warlord of Vermin
882 Posts
Leaning against the wall, Logan listened to the montone voice of alice struggling to concentrate. He had learned from his studies that when the covenant wanted something it was because it was holy to them or it could be used as a weapon...or both. As he watched the holographic planet turn on an invisible axis, Two fairly tall men walked in the room.

"Oh, yes." Fawkes continued. "I just learned that ONI's got something special in mind for us, so we're going to be fighting alongside a Spartan headhunter team." He gestured to the Spartans who had just entered.

The man to the left of him reached for a pistol and Logan flinched, curling his hands into fists expecting trouble. but the man didnt have a pistol which made Logan relax. The spartans stood there and the seargeant looked around the room reading peoples reactions. Logon didnt have a particular hate for spartans but he had heard ridiculous stories from marines that 10 odsts' were just minding there own business in a gym when a spartan walked in and beat the living shit out of all of them. He didnt believe this of course but he didnt exactly trust them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Claire had just sat down when Fawkes started the briefing. She listened closely to her new sergeant and the AI so she wouldn't miss anything important.

A planet with many civilian families who required protection, exactly the kind of mission she signed up for. Now she was just hoping they wouldn't be sent on some BS 'guard the weapon stockpile' type mission...

"Oh, yes." Fawkes continued. "I just learned that ONI's got something special in mind for us, so we're going to be fighting alongside a Spartan headhunter team."
Claire looked to her left where two giants now stood in the room, they were even taller than John.

She felt a sudden jolt of anxiety go through her body and was truly intimidated. She didn't trust most UNSC forces, but Spartans were the worst of the worst. They were the UNSC's lapdogs and murdered without a second thought.

Lets just hope they won't stick around for too long...

·
Registered
310 Posts
It was a blowoff. Alright, Joseph said to himself entering the room, that could have been worse. There was a quick salute snapped toward the man standing at the center of the room. It was rather easily noted that this was Fawkes, Joseph’s new CO.

The others arrived in short order; most were still shaking off the after effects of cryo. As the last arrived Fawkes began. Instead of the expected briefing he called out to one of the men. “Private Payne,” Joseph glanced to the trooper. Let me see, Payne which one was he? There was a cybernetic hand on that man. Joseph made a note of that. The man clearly had battlefield time making him a senior soldier, but the fact he was a private meant he was probably a trouble maker. Joseph smiled, Like him already.

“Alright, ladies and gentlemen,” Here came the briefing. Joseph listened quietly as the AI spoke for a moment and then Fawkes took over again. Joseph had never tried to wrap his mind around the actions of the Covenant as a whole. He wasn’t with Intelligence so it wasn’t his job. However there were things he had already began to latch onto. If they were here for something it made them predictable. They would search for it, they would find it, and then they would blast the rest to nothing. This meant they had to find it first, and if you keep poking their eyes they might get mad, but they wouldn’t just blast away at everything. Not unless you became more trouble than it was worth. If that happened then your doing your job right, he thought with a smile. The objective was short and to the point. Something Joseph could get behind.

Another pair entered the room. They were taller than average, but they weren’t part of the squad. “Oh, yes,” Fawks began again looking at the pair. There was a hint of nervousness in his voice. Joseph glanced over to see his CO sweeping the room with a quick glance. "I just learned that ONI's got something special in mind for us, so we're going to be fighting alongside a Spartan headhunter team."
“Spartans,” Joseph half thought, and half said in a low whisper that only the close squad members could hear, “Wow... only ever seen one of them before. Remember that one being taller.”
Joseph cleared his voice. “Sir,” he spoke waiting for Fawkes to acknowledge him “Is there something on planet that important, or can I expect a ‘need to know’ ONI bullshh,” he caught himself, “response sir?”

Joseph waited for the reply as he glanced around. Some of the others appeared a little more apprehensive to this turn of events. He half wondered why. They were on the same side, right? Some appeared to be squaring off like a fight might break out. The most notable reaction to him was from the only woman in the squad, Collins. That was a name even Joseph could remember. No reason to forget the most interesting bit of scenery on the ship this far. She might have done well at hiding it, but there was a slight change in her breathing and completion. It was a fight or flight response kicking in, though it just as quickly faded. Then there was a slight hint of contempt. Bad experience, Joseph thought as he waited, what the hell did these people have against the Spartans? We’re an elite squad of experienced men and women, they were engineered for it. As far as that goes we’re were equals right? Except they didn’t know any better.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Stepping into the room with Anthony, Felix noticed that they were the last to entered, and hadn't been seen by the ODST squad "phoenix". Content to let it stay that way, he nudged Tony slightly as he saw Anthony was about to make their introduction for them. Watching closely as the sergeant spoke to another trooper, telling him he heard he had been making friends, Felix smiled slightly.As the briefing started, he began listening and memorizing every important detail.

To him it sounded like a standard engage and kill the covenant op, but Felix knew that ONI wouldn't just send one of their elite headhunter teams on a simple op. His thought's were interrupted as the briefing ended and the ODSTs noticed them for the first time. Here we go... he thought, tensing up slightly and breathing deep in case things got physical.

"Oh, yes I just learned that ONI's got something special in mind for us, so we're going to be fighting alongside a Spartan headhunter team." Sergeant fawkes said, acknowledging them for the first time. Felix stepped forward. “Spartans 046 and 019 reporting for duty sir,” he said, snapping to attention. After receiving the at ease order, he stepped back and looked around the squad. " Phoenix huh? I thought you'd all be.... Taller..." he said with a cheerful grin on his face, instinctively stepping back to cover Anthonys flank.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Payne sat on the floor against the wall in the briefing room, observing the rest of his squad.
'So this is Phoenix?' He thought, looking at each team member individually. One thing Payne was very good at was judging character from appearance, however Sherman and Alexander had little to work with on their persons. On the other hand Collins, the only girl on the team, was getting all the eyes from the rest of the team. He noticed the two painted tears on her hands. Tribal markings? Unit symbols? Kills? Eulogies? Whatever they were, Payne was intrueged, and made a mental note to ask her about them later. If they were kills, two meant she must be pretty rookie. He moved on to Lancaster. He was fiddling with the device on his wrist.
'A techie, on an ODST team? Must be hard as nails then' He thought, looking up to his neck. There were a large series of numbers tattooed there, Payne squinted to get a better view, but couldn't really get a decent view. The last member of the team, Private Davis, entered; and Fawkes started his speech.

'Private Payne, I hear you've been making friends around the ship' Fawkes started, barely suppressing a grin.
'A grin, so.....He finds it amusing? Maybe this guy ain't so bad after all' Payne thought, noticing Davis looking at his hand as he did so. He flexed it, and gave a slight nod to Fawkes in acknowledgement.

Fawkse's briefing was short and to the point, Payne liked that. The lack of intelligence on the OP was expected whenever ONI was involved, and Payne felt a measure of respect for Davis after he challenged Fawkes about it, most privates would never dare to challenge a sergeant, especially not one as prestigious as Fawkes. Lost in his thoughts, Payne barely registered the door sliding open again.

'F**K! Spartans!' His brain screamed. On instinct, Payne instantly went for his pistol, but after finding nothing but thin air went for the dagger on his shoulder, again, reaching nothing. 'Bloody Military Police!', his brain screamed again. Hideous flashbacks of Spartan number 716, standing among several young planetary defense force, pointing to a speck in the distance among the swamps forced their way into his mind, making him take a pace back. Fawkes words were a faint drone as Payne tried to compose himself and suppress the pure anger and hate. He gripped the table and looked round the squad to gauge their reactions.

Most of them were simply taken aback at their prescence, the only notable exception being Collins, who briefly displayed a look of confusion with a slight hint of anger, before dispelling this appearance.
'Maybe there's more to her than I first thought, a rookie is unlikely to have seen Spartans before, and certainty wouldn't have had a cause to feel anger towards them, right?' Payne reasoned.
A brief look from Fawkes that smacked of 'Shut-Up-And-Deal-With-It' calmed Payne somewhat, and when he removed his hand from the table he smirked as he noticed his hand print embossed in it from where his prosthetic hand had grasped it.

'Dammit, they make things a whole lot different' Payne muttered.

·
Reaper of Souls
1,303 Posts
I noticed the hostility radiating from one of the ODST’s, Tristan Payne. It was not through any mystical sixth sense, nor from looking at his reactions though they certainly spoke of hatred for the likes of me and Felix. No, even with my eyes closed he simply seemed to radiate hatred. It was understandable, if depressing. We had given all the people we ever loved, we had given up any chance for a normal life to serve and our reward was hatred and fear. Speaking of fear I noticed the anxiety in the eyes of one, a private by the name of Clair Collins. Or maybe I should say Clair Collins’ killer. Oh yes, ONI knew about her. I’d made sure I was briefed fully on the team, even if Felix had taken the bare minimum and decided to work on what he observed of them out in the field.

I would be keeping an eye on her.

It had been simple really. Clair Collins’ file spoke of a quiet, sensible marine who never took unnecessary risks. Joining the Helljumpers? The most common definition of a Helljumper was crazy. I’d even heard insane. And Clair Collins was neither crazy nor insane. This was not Clair Collins. This was someone else. It was simple enough to backtrack and find out that Collins’ squad was based on a world that harboured Innies. It was plain whoever it was who took Collins’ place was an Insurrectionist or had once been one.

Yes, I would keep an eye on her.

The rest were unremarkable but for maybe John. I remember vaguely Kurt talking a lot about a John when he spoke of his training to Mendez. Had they known I was listening Mendez would have gutted me for sure. But I could hear the slight undertone of uncertainty in Kurt’s tone. He spoke a lot about whether he was ready. Mendez was already responding with an affirmative but Kurt never sounded sure. He wanted to know that John and the other Spartan IIs wouldn’t hate him for doing what he was doing.

I doubted it was the same one so after a brief pause in my scanning of the squad I moved on.

Nothing else of note appeared to me so I settled into a relaxed stance, sensing Felix moving to unconsciously cover my flank. Well, time to wait for our orders from our new CO

·
Registered
505 Posts
Baker watched the Spartans walking in. Now he was intrigued. Spartans were the greatest soldiers in the UNSC, and their presence on this mission increased the squad's odds of success significantly. On the other hand, Spartans wouldn't be assigned to the mission unless the higher-ups were desperate. The mission details already seemed vague; this new addition just made things seem more suspicious.

Baker immediately pushed these thoughts out of his mind. He had a job to do, and he would do it. Regardless of what his commanders were or weren't hiding, failure on this mission was inconceivable and unacceptable to him. He noticed one of his fellow soldiers reach for his holster as the Spartans entered.

He's one of those, isn't he? groaned Baker to himself. He had no patience for people who compromised the squad with pointless grudges.

Baker closed his eyes and tried to clear his head. Thinking about the Spartans or his fellow soldiers would do him no good now. He had to clear his head and focus on the mission.

The soldier began to imagine Covenant grunts being mowed down by the dozen, and he smiled.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
They'd reacted better than he'd expected, though Payne was looking downright murderous, he'd been going for his pistol, which he didn't have, Fawkes shot him a warning look. Fawkes was relived that the marines hadn't been needed, it would reflect badly on the squad to have cases of assault within ten minutes of meeting.

Collins looked frankly horrified, Fawkes wasn't sure why, but one of the spartans was looking at her with knowing expression. ONI obviously knew something about his squad that he didn't, Fawkes resolved to look into it.

Now that the squad had assembled and the overall brief had been issued, Fawkes waited for the muttering to subside. Looked at each of the ODSTs and began.

"Ladies and gentlemen, we've been issued new orders. We've got to-" Fawkes was cut off by a large bang and several screams. He whipped round, looking at the doorway. He crept up to the door, pushing the switch to open it. The doors slid open and Fawkes heard the distinctive whine of a plasma grenade activating.

Hammering on the switch, Fawkes shut the door. There was a bright blue light visible through the thin gap between the two doors. With a loud bang, the door split open, sending chunks of molten metal splattering the floor.
Fawkes looked through the doorway, seeing a grunt dead on the floor, it's front horribly burned by the explosion.

"Alert, Alert. The ship is under attack!" Came Alice's soothing voice, though her tone wasn't quite as calm as usual. "Covenant forces have boarded the ship."

Fawkes hesitated for a fraction of a second, then he grabbed a loose panel under the holo-table. He wrenched it, pulling out the drawer. Reaching inside, he pulled out a pile of magnum sidearms. He put the magnums on the table and then handed out a cluster of ammunition clips. It was an old hiding place for weapons that Phoenix had been keeping for years, Fawkes' had never seen it in use until today.

"Lock and load, boys and girls." He said, grabbing a magnum and loading it. Doing a quick calculation he gathered that each squad member had two clips and one magnum each.

He heard the squeaky little voices of grunts and the squawks of jackals. Further away was the deep grunting voice of an elite or brute, Fawkes couldn't tell which.

OOC: OK, we're under attack! You've each got a magnum and 2 clips, that's 24 rounds. Hold out against the covenant wave, you can have up to 6 grunt/jackal kills.

1 - 20 of 173 Posts