Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey all! New to tabletop games/40k. So I decided to pick 40k up as a painting hobby. That's all changed and I'm now building a 13th company SW army to play with. My local GW has a good sized group of people and have slowly convinced me to play. This is what I have so far.

Logan Grimnar
Njaal Stormcaller
3x10 grey hunter units
-2 plasma guns each
5 Wold guard terminators
-chainfist, ss
Drop Pod

I'm thinking I want to make a group of 5 long fangs with 4 missile launchers/lascannons (all of my guys are magnetized so far). Add another 2 drop pods but I don't know with what. I'm not sure if I want Calvary or not. I'm guessing fluff means true facts to my army's history/play style so I don't think I can really use heavy vehicles such as land raiders and vindicators or is that ok? Any other ideas on what I could field would be great.

Pictures will be added in the morning. Apparently I can't with my phone.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
Excellent. I've not seen some new Wolves in quite awhile.

Good to have you on board, looking forward the the pics !

·
Registered
434 Posts
I do love my wolves. A few things I've learned about using them over the years that helps win games.

The Rune Priest is one of the best investments in the codex. He's got arguably the best psyker defense in the game, is fairly upgradeable and he's dirt cheap allowing you to bring more to the board. I usually don't give mine any upgrades and either take Living Lightning, Murderous Hurricane, or Jaws of the World Wolf or the Divination powers from the rule book.

Missile Launcher long fangs are worth their weight in gold. Nuff said.

Since there's no flyer defense in the codex an Ages Defense Line is a must. I like the quad gun.

Scouts, Lone Wolves, Bikes, Blood Claws, and Jump infantry are not very good. Some may argue for the Lone Wolves though.

Logan Grimnar is super expensive. I'd only take him if I was making Wolf Guard troops. But large numbers of terminators are super expensive too. But his ability to make units (like multi melta long fangs in a drop pod) relentless can be really fun.

Speaking of Wolf Guard. I've started mixing armor types in mine. Take 4 plane cheap ones and upgrade the 5th with terminator armor and a special weapon like an Assault Cannon or a Cyclone Missile Launcher. It keeps the points down for more cool stuff.

Grey Hunters are the best troop choice. If you take the wording in the codex as written, you can take a free flamer, and then another weapon (flamer, melta, or plasma) for free in a ten man squad. They also work well in razorbacks or drop pods. Some like rhinos. It's all preference really. I normally go all razorbacks or all drop pods.

Large tanks like landraiders don't really do it for me in a SW army. But I tend to run mine with quantity of models in mind since the points are so nice for what you get in the army. But I do like Vindicators. I always bring more than one though since they are almost always targeted first.

I love dreadnoughts. I just normally don't use them in SW armies. There's nothing wrong with using them though. Especially with the free Assault Cannons. They pair great with drop pods.

I hope some of this is useful. It's definitely not "the" way to play SW, just a way. You could of course go for a small expensive army of wolf guard terminators and still have a ton of fun, save money on models, and have some awesome unique models for painting.

Welcome to the game, I hope you enjoy every match!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That helped a lot actually. Thanks for the advice. I'm brand spanking new and I'm just starting I memorize rules and such so anything helps.

·
Registered
43 Posts
If your local players allow it, proxy the units you don't have. Try them out for yourself, rather building the same rune priest/grey hunter/long fang list everone builds. Mix in some sky claws, fenrisian wolves, or an iron priest. I challenge you to play at least one game with every unit in the dex. Then play a game without your long fangs. You may find that you like them even though they're not the most points efficient unit you can field.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I'm trying to stick to the fluff and apparently the 13th company don't really use vehicles so the long fangs are really my only anti vehicles. My local group are heavy armour players. 2 guard and a couple SM are extremely heavy with armor and I get rocked by them. But Im loving the battle leader with saga of the hunter so I've been using him with a group of wolf guard and drop pod grey hunters. That's been a lot of fun. No one else uses drop pods yet so most are quite surprised by my tactics when they play me.

I'm still having problems uploading photos. It's driving me crazy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts