Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a few thoughts about how the Shielded Missile drones for the Riptide work, please let me know if I have this right.

* The Drones form a unit with the Riptide. The Riptide isn't a Character so it can't Look Out Sir to the Drones, meaning that if you want the drones to protect the Riptide they need to be closer to the enemy.

* Since the Drones+ Riptide are a unit, every time a Drone dies the unit has taken 25% casualties, forcing a Morale check.

* Whilst accompanied by Drones, the Riptide cannot use the 'Boost' ability of the Nova Reactor because only the Riptide itself receives the bonus movement (p.45 CTE)

If all this is correct, I'm not all that sold on the Drones. Do I have any of this wrong?

·
Registered
807 Posts
You are correct on all 3 points. However there is only two units that Independent Characters can not join. Vehicle Squadrons, and units that always consist of a single Model. Independent Characters can in fact join Riptides that have drones.

So that's something.... but honestly I don't think it's really worth it.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You are correct on all 3 points. However there is only two units that Independent Characters can not join. Vehicle Squadrons, and units that always consist of a single Model. Independent Characters can in fact join Riptides that have drones.

So that's something.... but honestly I don't think it's really worth it.
It still feels a bit dodgy to me, TBH, but there you go. I suppose you could join a Commander with a Puretide chip and a couple of Shield Drones to the 'unit' to add some more ablative wounds and your choice of special rule, but I don't like the feel of it.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Shadow Sun and her drones with a Riptide.

Just throwing that out there.
It would make the squad toughness 4 until you killed two of the drones.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
You can use boost mode as under the 6th ed rules models with different movement rates CAN move their full allowance, just so long as they maintain coherency.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You can use boost mode as under the 6th ed rules models with different movement rates CAN move their full allowance, just so long as they maintain coherency.
That's true, but I'm not sure how you'd go about doing it. Would you roll 2d6 for the Drones' move, then add another 2d6 onto that result for the Riptide, or roll the 2d6 and 4d6 separately? It's not a big thing- I can't see many people risking the Nova roll just for a couple of extra inches of movement- but I suppose it could come up.

·
Banned
7,889 Posts
That's true, but I'm not sure how you'd go about doing it. Would you roll 2d6 for the Drones' move, then add another 2d6 onto that result for the Riptide, or roll the 2d6 and 4d6 separately? It's not a big thing- I can't see many people risking the Nova roll just for a couple of extra inches of movement- but I suppose it could come up.
You'd roll them separately.

The Nova isn't too big a risk tho', it's only a 1/3 chance of a single wound and gives some good buffs. being able to jump away from an enemy and also leap over your drones at the same time or even jump out of range, could pay dividends.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts