Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I've been working on a new Dark Heresy campaign, working out some new rules, bringing in others, and was curious, can a man hold and fire a Ripper gun? or does he have to be like Colonel Strakken or Rambo(we all know who he is underneath) or that other guy who holds a Heavy Bolter like his baby?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Well it is a Ripper gun, things HUGE; designed origionally for Ogryns in CQC. I would think it is more the recoil of the weapon, and getting use to adjusting ones body weight and leverage when firing it (as Straken probably did).

As far as the individual human and the Rules go, check the Rogue Trader Core Rulebook as it might provide more insight into the matter. I know a buddy of mine tried to make use of one during a RPG Campaign event a few years back, but the GM denied him on it based on the fact the gun would "Break his characters bones to pieces." Needless to say there was quite the Nerdy shoutfest over it.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, so unless anyone else provides any arguement, I'll just state you can lug one around(only weighs 77 pounds) on your back, and if in your hands that's all you can hold but no firing it unless you set it up on something or unless you have Power Armor on.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
Okay, so unless anyone else provides any arguement, I'll just state you can lug one around(only weighs 77 pounds) on your back, and if in your hands that's all you can hold but no firing it unless you set it up on something or unless you have Power Armor on.
Kinda pointless really. It's designed specifically to be extremely rugged and idiot proof. If your not a nine foot tall idiot, there's little point in using one. Too heavy, too big, too inaccurate. There are many alternatives that are superior in every way so that carrying a ripper gun becomes a moronic choice even for an RP character.

It might also be worth looking at the pics of the new Ogryn box. The ripper guns appear as long as a normal guardsman, so carrying an almost 6 foot long weapon around on your back is totally unfeasible. Having been part of a .50 cal crew in my army days, I can attest to the difficulty in man handling a weapon that's almost 5 and a half feet long and 85lbs in weight. Even a crew of three or four has a hard time. As for firing it without a mount of some kind, never gonna happen.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Kinda pointless really. It's designed specifically to be extremely rugged and idiot proof. If your not a nine foot tall idiot, there's little point in using one. Too heavy, too big, too inaccurate. There are many alternatives that are superior in every way so that carrying a ripper gun becomes a moronic choice even for an RP character.

It might also be worth looking at the pics of the new Ogryn box. The ripper guns appear as long as a normal guardsman, so carrying an almost 6 foot long weapon around on your back is totally unfeasible. Having been part of a .50 cal crew in my army days, I can attest to the difficulty in man handling a weapon that's almost 5 and a half feet long and 85lbs in weight. Even a crew of three or four has a hard time. As for firing it without a mount of some kind, never gonna happen.
From a realistic point of view I know, but also think about it this way, Harker holds a Heavy Bolter, and fires it full auto with no bipod, nothing but him bracing himself(which from a realistic point of view I think might be very much impossible considering the kick a Heavy Bolter would produce) and I know Bolts are rocket propelled, but why would they still produce a massive kick as seen in games and movie? oh well guess I'll chuck it and bring out the Autocannon and Multilasers and such.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts