Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone else assemble their vehicles based on the rhino chasis where you can "downgrade" it back to a Rhino? I assembled my CSM predator where you can swap out the turret and magnetized the side sponsons to use it as either and now I am doing the same with my friend's whirlwind. Just wondering if I am the only person who does this or if I am just a tightwad who will squeeze out every cent from a kit.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Hmm I think I might try and do this with my Termis, make is a flip with a Crusader but I dunno how well the hurricane bolter would fare with being pulled off not to mention if the magnets would be tough enough to hold up that much weight. I wish they would cast that darn hurricane bolter in plastic because it is a difficult model to get together and get it to stay together.

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
I tend to just glue my predators' sponson mounts and magnetize the weapons fittings so I can equip either heavy bolters or lascannons. I've found that having three or four extra Rhinos isn't really worth the bother. I do leave the top hatches unglued on Rhinos to make Razorbacks, though. I can't honestly say I've used a Razorback in some time, but I've left the possibility there.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
For my long lost Marine army, I had one pimped out command Rhino... all the others were designed to function as Rhinos, Razorbacks or Whirlwinds. My Predator was pimped out as well, a bit too far for such easy changes.

·
Registered
995 Posts
Space marine armies are so lucky. They have one vehicle chassis for most of their vehicles. Only the land raider is different for the tanks

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Space marine armies are so lucky. They have one vehicle chassis for most of their vehicles. Only the land raider is different for the tanks

If you really look... the Eldar and Tau do as well... Most armies, barring the Necrons (with only their Monolith) and the Tyranids, have a single chassis design that most of their vehicular options stem from, and then will have an alternate or two to keep the race's motorpool from getting boring...

Marines have the Rhino, but then they also have the Land Raider, Dreadnought, and Land Speeders (also Chaos has the Defiler and Sisters the Penitent Engine)

Guardsmen have the ubiquitous Russ and Chimera chassis, as well as the Sentinel

Eldar have the Serpent chassis, backed up by War Walkers and Vypers

Tau have the Devilfish chassis, backed up by Piranhas and the various Suits

Orks have whatever their sinister Meks will create for them for use as Trucks, as well as looted vehicles, Kans and Dreads, Buggies and Koptas

Dark Eldar are actually more 'thin' on options than any other, as they have only 2 vehicles based on the Raider chassis, and no other vehicular options at all. Though, I doubt this will remain so for much longer.

It seems to me that the only armies that do NOT have a nice selection of vehicles (apart from the prementioned 'forgotten' Dark Eldar) are those armies whose themes would prevent their use. The Nids and Necrons really would look silly in a Jeep, and those armies have no need for main battle tanks or transports.

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
Dark Eldar do indeed... But after the next edition, Eldar will be in dire need as well.

Still, for pure tranport bliss, the Raider is king.

·
Registered
103 Posts
ugh eldar just got one, Deamonhunters are who really need one
seriously, one of the main rules behind the army is that minor psychic powers don't effect them heheh

·
Registered
995 Posts
I meant that for customization options, SM/SoB has it easy. A Rhino chassis can make like 6 different GW vehicles: Rhino, Razorback, Predator, Whirlwind, Vindicator, and Immolator. Now granted the Leman Russ chassis is more versatile simply because of the variety of turrets you can put on it. The Chimera chassis can make: Chimera, Salamander, Basilisk, Hellhound, Manticore, Hydra, and Trojan. The Salamander, Basilisk, Manticore, and Hydra are all based off the Basilisk model though.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
the real question is how long can they keep getting away with no new codex for the dark eldar? Almost as long as they can get away without redoing the Chaos Dwarfs, which is actually forever. They have never had an official army book.

The Dark Eldar should always be the next book. But because it is a minority army, and requires AN ENTIRE new miniature range, it will keep getting pushed back.

Besides, as long as the space marine players get a new book, and the armys that wipe the tables with the marines get new books, everyones happy, right?

They wont redo the eldar for ages, that would mean them having to admit the dev team cocked up. And they wont do that.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts