Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok so I've posted a few lists up before and taking into account many of the comments by more of the veteran chaos lords I've come up with this list, so let me know if its good or bad thanks.

Heroes - 459

Exalted Hero: Karnox the Soul Eater 229
- Palanquin of Nurgle
- Mark of Nurgle
- Flail
- Enchanted Shield
- Blasphemous Amulet
- Favour of the Gods

Sorcerer: Argonoch the Soul Seeker 230
- Lvl 2
- Mark of tzeentch
- Disc of Tzeentch
- Golden Eye of Tzeentch
- Book of Secret Arts
- Bloodcurdling Roar

Core - 541

12 Chaos Warriors 258
- Great Weapons
- Shields
- Standard Bearer
- Mark of Khorne

18 Marauders 132
- Flails
- Mark of Nurgle
- Muscician
- Standard Bearer

5 Warhounds 30

5 Warhounds 30

5 Marauder Horsemen 91
- Flails
- Musician
- Mark of Slaanesh

TOTAL - 1000

Ok so, the hero is going into the unit of marauders, he has the enchanted shield incase he is in a challenge against a powerfull enemy and does not get the charge. Otherwise he adds to the hitting power of the marauders. The blasphemus amulet means each turn at least 4 models will take a toughness test. The palanquin will dish out 6 str 3 poison attacks and he will dish out 4 str 7 attacks on the charge.

The sorcerer is there for march blocking, taking out low toughness or high armour units with bloodcurdling roar, it can wound all up to toughness 4 on 6 and skinks, gnoblers, zombies and swarms will die on 5+ or taking out pesky war machines.

And then are there any suggestions how I can bring this up to 1500pts and then to 2000pts

I'm thinking for 1500pts adding a boobsnake sorcerer scroll caddy and give him sporific musk and adding him in to the marauders. But otherwise I'm stumped. More warriors obviously and I'm thinking maybe 3 trolls. I love the new river trolls models coming out so was hoping to use those and mutant regen is just so tasty.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Why the hounds, you don't have MoK at all, what you could do to make them usefull is drop the champion and take MoK on the warriors with the great weapons instead of MoS and use the hounds to screen so they won't make stupid charges.(I don't have the army book, nor am I a WoC player so I am not sure about what it cost to take MoK instead of MoS, but I think the difference was 15 points or so).

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no, the difference is 20 points, so I dont have enough. And what do you mean why the hounds?
2 squads of hounds is essential to any army. They are there to screen my units from missile fire rather than control them. And then also guard my flanks. And to bait an opponent into charging them so I can charge him in the flank or rear. They are one of my favourite units because they are so cheap and so useful. If only they were fast cavalry as well then they would just be epic win.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Looks okay... I guess.

@the-graven: Warhounds are the wondrous children of Chaos. There are just so many uses for them other than simple screening frenzied units... No WoC army is complete without them.

Your sorcerer most probably isn't going to see that much combat, therefore you could swap Armour of Morrslieb for Golden Eye of Tzeentch. It's 10 pts cheaper, gives the same ward against missiles which also works against magic ones. If you don't use those points elsewhere you could 'upgrade' the Spell Familiar to a Book of Secrets.

Personally I don't find Marauder infantry to be of much use. Sure, your Hero will add much punch to the unit, but let's face it, it's gonna be pretty all the punch it will have... They die way too fast, even in small games like this. The Mark won't help much, and considering the overall cost of the unit, it's horrendously expensive.

Also I look suspiciously at any WoC army without Knights, but hell... I squeeze two units in a 900 point army. Even if my love for them might seem a bit crazy, I suppose many players view them as almost mandatory.

So personally I'd scrape the Marauders and try to fit in some naked Knights. In that case, the Hero would have to be put into the Warriors... Eek! I cringe at the very thought, but you might not be as fluff-inclined. This would make the unit extremely wide, so you could probably drop two (it would still be wider than optimal, oh well).

Speaking of Warriors, they certainly don't need a Champion. They do, however, need shields. If you drop two guys, this will even net you 2 more points. I'd even throw the Musician away, but that's just me.

Of course, scrape the Horsemen Champion. If you opt to keep the Marauders, they certainly don't need a Champion there either.

If I count correctly, dropping everything I mentioned and not taking a Book but instead keeping the Familiar should give you just enough points for those 5 default Knights.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
naked knights? I dunno, for me beefed up knights die very quick so that will kind of make them weaker for me.

As for dropping the maruaders, sure they die easy, but think about it, it -2 to hit them at long range so being shot down wont be too much of a problem and in close combat getting the charge they will kill the first rank no problem and that means no enemies strike back unless they have spears so I wouldnt worry about it. As for the sorcerer, sure the golden eye is good against magic and normal missiles, but if he does get charged or he needs to help and add in some combat of his own he will need the armour in close combat, especially since in such a small list there wont be too much magic against him so he would be relatively safe from it.

Yes maybe if I get rid of the champions in both marauder units I can give my warriors MoK.
Shields will only be good for them in the second round of combat if they dont win combat with the GW, and if thats the case they are doing it wrong.
I might add knights in at higher points, but if I get rid of the marauders and the other stuff you mentioned then the army would be a bit small. Also for the moment I dont have knights, so I wont be able to use them in my next few matches anyway. I have the old knights, but they are in bad shape and just dont look too great.

I'm making updates to the list now.

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay, got rid of the champions in each unit, and musician in the warriors. And changed the magic items of the sorcerer so as to give him an extra power dice which adds up to 5 PD and 3 DD in total and using lore of fire or death will give me an extra magic missile spell.
And having 10 points left spare, I added 2 more marauders just for more bodies.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts
Heroes - 459

Exalted Hero: Karnox the Soul Eater 229
- Palanquin of Nurgle
- Mark of Nurgle
- Flail
- Enchanted Shield
- Blasphemous Amulet
- Favour of the Gods
Good. No complaints, other than I'll just put across again that a Exalted Champion of Tzeentch on Disc works wonders.

Sorcerer: Argonoch the Soul Seeker 230
- Lvl 2
- Mark of tzeentch
- Disc of Tzeentch
- Golden Eye of Tzeentch
- Book of Secret Arts
- Bloodcurdling Roar
It's okay - but I'm not sure that you'll be able to cast EVERYthing - you have 5 Dice to cast 3 Spells, and against quite a few 1K Armies, you'll be struggling. Plus, pretty much any flyer can eat a Sorceror - watch out for Warhawk Riders and Great Eages, Paladins on Pegasi, etc.

Bloodcurdling roar is near useless - on average, you'll cause a single wound per unit. Soporific Musk is far better, you have a 3D6 pursuit on a 1D6 infantry unit.

Core - 541

12 Chaos Warriors 258
- Great Weapons
- Shields
- Standard Bearer
- Mark of Khorne
Awesome unit.

18 Marauders 132
- Flails
- Mark of Nurgle
- Muscician
- Standard Bearer
Good stuff.

5 Warhounds 30

5 Warhounds 30
Again, no faulting.

5 Marauder Horsemen 91
- Flails
- Musician
- Mark of Slaanesh
Excellent - these should be prime March blockers, and use them to flank units combined with your Disc hero in the rear and a Warrior/Marauder unit in the front.

And then are there any suggestions how I can bring this up to 1500pts and then to 2000pts

I'm thinking for 1500pts adding a boobsnake sorcerer scroll caddy and give him sporific musk and adding him in to the marauders. But otherwise I'm stumped. More warriors obviously and I'm thinking maybe 3 trolls. I love the new river trolls models coming out so was hoping to use those and mutant regen is just so tasty.[/QUOTE]

Boobsnake Caddy's aren't that useful - Flying Musks are far better, but then again, a Nurgle Sorceror on foot does well. Acts as a Unit champion, but once per turn you soak up at least 2 Dispel Dice to prevent Buboes OR you kill an enemy champion.

I'd prefer Dragon Ogres with Great Weapons over trolls any time, but it depends what fits your budget and whatnot.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
yeah, disc heroes are amazing, but he's there to back up the marauders since I'm missing out on strong CC units.

Well I I use 1 PD to cast a magic missile spell which is 4+ with a tzeentch sorcerer then use the remaining 4 to cast the other spells.

And I dunno, I find bloodcurdling roar pretty nice, sure its only str 1, but that means about 10 or so hits, and from that about 2 or so deaths. Sure its not gonna be the best thing against men-at-arms but against stuff like knights errant who have a 1+ AS, 2 or 3 dead in one turn is saddening. And I dont plan for him to charge too much so sporific musk wouldnt be too much help, the other thing I was thinking was 3rd eye of tzeentch so as to use enemy spells, but in a 1k game the enemy wouldnt have too many spells.

Yeah I like DOs also, but i think for 1500 i'll try add in some knights, trolls and a nurgle scroll caddy, or possibly some support with a chariot and a warshrine. And probably some more infantry because I really like the look of a warriors of chaos army with lots of warriors rather than just one small block.

Ok so how is this to add to the 1500 pts mark

Sorcerer: Groaghar Soul Keeper 155
- Mark of Nurgle
- 2 dispell scrolls

3 Chaos Trolls 135

11 Chaos Warriors 208
- Shields
- Great Weapons
- Mark of Slaanesh
(Groaghar Soul keeper goes in this unit)

which makes it 1448pts

1 - 8 of 8 Posts