Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, it's been a while. I'm embarking on a new project, painting up some old Delque Gangers for a necromunda campaign I've just started with some friends. With a new project comes new ideas and the one I keep coming back to is painting my gang's coats with reverse highlighting, that is to say starting with a light base coat and then building up layers of darker colours.

I was just wondering if anyone here had tried such a crazy idea, had any experience they wouldn't mind sharing (good or bad) and ideally some photos just so i can get a clearer picture of what it might actually look like!

Thanks in advavnce for any replies.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
A lot of fire effects work that way--start bright whitish yellow and work through orange and red into black smoke.

I've had the thought, but never actually tried it. I do tend to work with washes a decent amount, though, which sort of precludes any such effort...

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
I've played with it myself when painting fire effects. The problem with working this way is that you are giving the impression of light coming from the deeper shadows of the model. It works well if the item you are painting is giving off its own light but I'm not sure whether it would transfer well so something as matt as a coat. Skin and armour you might get away with, not sure how it would suit a coat.

·
Critique for da CriticGod
3,351 Posts
I think this is really more like the process of painting over a white primer base. Over a white base coat you start as bright as can be then darken down, where as over a black base coat you highlight up.

Learning to paint over a white base makes one a lot tighter. Any missed bits show up very obviously as little white spots. Conversely, if you miss recessed spots on a black primed model they simply become shadows.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all, there's some stuff you've pointed out that I hadn't considered like the effect on washes (which i tend to use too) and the need to be thorough. I think i might just have to have a go on a test mini, just to see what it ends up looking like and appease my curiosity.

The paint scheme i'm thinking of consists of a medium grey for the outside of the coat, similar in tone to the Confederates in the american civil war (no politics, I just think the colour suits the minis!) and then for the lining of the coat a royal blue colouring. Either way, i'll see about painting up a test mini this week and post up some pics.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts