Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been away from the forums for a while, but this was a topic that I thought was controversial enough to make me post up a topic.

With the release of escalation, everyone I've talked to and everything I've heard seems to indicate that non-comp tournaments and the like are dead, because strength D breaks this game like no metaphor I can come up with right now.

But my question to y'all is - how do you handle super-heavies from a social and gaming perspective? In your LGS/GW, what is the approach towards these things - are they totally acceptable or frowned upon, or only certain ones?

Also, from a list perspective, how do you guys deal with revenant titans? I could ask about all super-heavies, but one is clearly better then the rest. As a steadfast nid player, (who is pissed off at his lack of strength d stuff) how do you kill it?

I can't strip that many HP at range (9, or really like 18) and usually they are surrounded by guardians. I can't use psychic powers to hit it, my big trygons/etc die as soon as the titan sees them, and I can't play around that - it isn't the Maginot Line. I'd consider myself a pretty tactically adept player, too.

So, basically, how has Gdubs latest release affected you, and how are you dealing with its effects on the battlefield?

PS - Sorry if this is at all unclear.

·
Registered
379 Posts
I'd say bring it, I atleast would like to see some shit blown up even if it's my own:grin: As for the Revenant Titan; It's statline isn't all that interesting, it's Two pulsars and speed are the problem. I'm completely unfamiliar with Tyranids but I don't think they have any way to deal with something like this atm. I guess you'll just have to wait until the new codex hits the shelves.

Edit: The only thing I can think of is charging it. It's only way of defending itself in cc is by using it's Stomp attack, just pray your opponent rolls poorly on the Stomp Table and it won't be able to shoot anything for as long as your units remain alive. Aside from that, your opponent has spend 900 PTS on a single model, just think of how many bugs you could put on the table for that amount:grin:

·
Registered
720 Posts
10 sternguard in a droppod first turn with combi meltas. If you have first turn it as no invulnerable save. It's only armour 12.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
10 sternguard in a droppod first turn with combi meltas. If you have first turn it as no invulnerable save. It's only armour 12.
You also cannot get into range of it because of scatter and bubble wrap. If you really want a drop unit, take Plasmas so you can at least have a chance to potentially double-tap.

My group is banning anything with Str D, so we're not using Escalation at all.

·
Registered
720 Posts
You also cannot get into range of it because of scatter and bubble wrap. If you really want a drop unit, take Plasmas so you can at least have a chance to potentially double-tap.

My group is banning anything with Str D, so we're not using Escalation at all.
But even then chances of doing good damage are really low. But you have a point with the bubblewrap. You could just get rid of all d-weapon class vehicles. There this is the revenant with sonic lances. But even then that deadly

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Bring flying tyrants and a harridan - The revenant's got a missile it can launch at fliers which is strength 5 and nobody uses that. So most of the time, it can't shoot fliers at all.

Bring Tervigon spam for a laugh - have a fun game where you see if you can make more gaunts than he can kill :)

As to escalation - I'm all for it. I want a crack at taking down super heavies. And if FW legalise more units, then I'll have a reason to paint my Eldar Cobra.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
Remember escalation makes it really hard to win if you bring a super heavy. The enemy gets a free VP for every 3 hull points they strip and they can roll on the escalation warlord traits which has many results that allow them to hurt your super heavy more easily. Also only a few of the current lords of war units in the entire escalation book have access to D weapon, and these units are kind of meh. The revnant for example has av 12 making it very easy for lots of units to penetrate it. Its also 900pts meaning that the rest of his army at will be a messily 1100pts.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Remember escalation makes it really hard to win if you bring a super heavy. The enemy gets a free VP for every 3 hull points they strip and they can roll on the escalation warlord traits which has many results that allow them to hurt your super heavy more easily. Also only a few of the current lords of war units in the entire escalation book have access to D weapon, and these units are kind of meh. The revnant for example has av 12 making it very easy for lots of units to penetrate it. Its also 900pts meaning that the rest of his army at will be a messily 1100pts.
Some really good points here, I appreciate the difficulty to Nid players as heavy armour at long range is something that you can struggle with. However, having lost twice last month to a Nid player I think there are definitely ways around, either by throwing gaunts at it or by chucking psychic lances down at them.

As a guard player I really appreciated my opponent chucking 900 points into one unit as it meant that once I killed it (and I did) life was a lot easier, plus I picked up some easy VPs. I definitely wouldn't say it was game changing.

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
The cost of the LoW options is such that taking it out is a priority. Although it is more difficult for nids, flyrants are still a great option. Plus you can tie it up in close combat with gaunts as is can only kill so many in a turn (the fearless rule really does come in useful here).

·
Registered
379 Posts
Bring flying tyrants and a harridan - The revenant's got a missile it can launch at fliers which is strength 5 and nobody uses that. So most of the time, it can't shoot fliers at all.

Bring Tervigon spam for a laugh - have a fun game where you see if you can make more gaunts than he can kill :)

As to escalation - I'm all for it. I want a crack at taking down super heavies. And if FW legalise more units, then I'll have a reason to paint my Eldar Cobra.
That would have been the other option yeah, bring a fying circus list and laugh in your opponents face as he can't do a thing about it:grin:

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
The revanent can do a lot about fling circuses sitting in a corner bubble wraped by quad gun and guardians and a few wave serpent's.Serpants quad gun ground the fmc revanent kills it.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Yeah, the Revenant can't ground more than 1 per turn. But how many FMCs can 4/5 Wave Serpents filled with minimums squads of Guardians/Dire Avengers bring down per turn? Probably a fair few, and when they hit the dirt they're definitely dead. On the other hand - even Flyers can be outmaneouvred by a Revenant. It moves as a Flyer (essentially - 36" move ignoring terrain and models).

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
"I can't use psychic powers to hit it"

Where does everybody keep getting this from?
Seriously, quote Book and Page Number please.

By the way.
Don't bother looking for it, because you won't find it.
That rule was in Apocalypse First Edition.

We are now in Second Edition.

The point is, this is a very emotive subject in the community at present and misinformation like that does absolutely nothing to help the situation.
There are many people out there who currently do not own nor have access to these books and they are looking to the Forums for advice and direction.
Misleading and inaccurate statements like this will only sway players' opinions against Escalation and Apocalypse.

By the way, I appreciate that the OP began by asking for advice, but the incorrect statement regarding Psychic Powers really needed addressing.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yeah, the Revenant can't ground more than 1 per turn. But how many FMCs can 4/5 Wave Serpents filled with minimums squads of Guardians/Dire Avengers bring down per turn? Probably a fair few, and when they hit the dirt they're definitely dead. On the other hand - even Flyers can be outmaneouvred by a Revenant. It moves as a Flyer (essentially - 36" move ignoring terrain and models).
And just how much AA can you buy for a mere 1100PTS? Also it looks as if you are assuming I would target the Revenant. Why would I? The bloody thing can't touch me so I would take care of what little he has that actually can hurt me.

We can argue about this all day and night but as long as you refuse to remove your heads from your own arses you won't see that this is all being blown out of proportions. Superheavies are intimidating for sure but by no means overpowered. Please go back to ranting about Helldrakes<3

·
Registered
720 Posts
My Eldar list including Revenant

Hq
farseer
-singing spear
-jetbike
-mantle of the laughing god

troops
5x dire avengers
-wave serpent
-scatterlaser
-holofields
-cannon (5 of these)

Revenant Titan

That's plenty of anti air and its still competitive.
Also have you tried taking out wave serpents. Its hard :laugh:
Also how come everyone is saying Revenants can move 36inchs and fire weapons. In my book its says they can move 36inchs but not fire primary weapons. Am i missing something?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Am I assuming correctly that your list includes 5 wave serpents?.. Just how much do these damn things costs?o.0

Where does it say they can't move and shoot? They can't fire overwatch but otherwise they are just fine.

·
Registered
720 Posts
O ye of course :grin:. Dear enough for a transport just a bit less then 150 points. In my book it says ''if it uses its jump jets may not fire its primary weapons nor use its agile rule this turn. It may assault as normal''.

·
Registered
379 Posts
O ye of course :grin:. Dear enough for a transport just a bit less then 150 points. In my book it says ''if it uses its jump jets may not fire its primary weapons nor use its agile rule this turn. It may assault as normal''.
It doesn't say that anywhere in the Escalation book. As for your list.. I never played vs. Eldar but I've heard enough about Wave Serpents on here to know that they are nuts, I never knew you could fit in so many for so little points. Still this has very little to do with the Revenant itself, however it does make using flyers to counter it pretty hard:grin:

·
Registered
720 Posts
Exactly it shows how powerful revenant can be with proper support. But it doesn't matter anymore forgeworld released their unit for escalation. Even eldar are fucked now.

·
Registered
379 Posts
Yeah I just got a look at them.. I believe to have once said in a topic about the Wraithknight that I thought GW was trying to merge FW with their regular line of products, well here it is guys. Eat your heart out:grin:

1 - 20 of 26 Posts