Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started to get into the hobby about two years ago and worked on a few of my miniatures and I became very busy with school and work so I had to stop, but now I'm back in working on my army again and I have a few new pictures to post. I'm still a beginner at all of this. Tell me what you think.

Here are the models I painted before I stopped (all hand painted):

These are the things I painted before I gave it up for awhile.

Here's what I've been working on since:

First attempt at some shading.

Second attempt:

Third attempt at shading:

Tell me what you guys think. I'm still very new and would love some feed back. Also I in vision my army composition is going to be a bunch of Guardians with an accompanying Farseer (or Warlock I don't remember which it is) and other things that I think look cool mixed in there as of right now.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Gothic for the advice. I did try that back when I first got the Farseer but I couldn't manage to get the sword to stay straight it just kept bending back. How hot does the water need to be, and how long do I have to hold it straight to keep it that way? Also will it damage the paint?

·
Registered
52 Posts
The water dosent need to be all that hot, about as hot as your coffee. As for the paint, it should be fine. Just dip it in for a few seconds and straighten.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright thank you SOulDOubt! It's been driving me crazy with the sword being like that.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I like the Farseer scheme, the gold, white, black and blue all work together well.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Sethis. I wasn't originally going to paint the back of his helmet gold but after I started laying down some gold I thought that the gold and black would look nice.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh yeah and the Farseer isn't complete yet.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I think that you have the basics of painting down. Paint doesn't look thick and you stayed in the lines. You just need to learn and practice some of the more advanced techniques to bring some depth and character to your models.
Lack of depth is most notable on your Wave Serpent. If you ever paint something black, you HAVE to use highlights, otherwise it looks like an unfinished primed model.

Here you see a black primed Furioso Dreadnought and below that a black Furioso Dreadnought with highlights.

I think that the difference that edge highlights makes is pretty clear. Right now your model looks like it's waiting to be painted. I would put some grey highlights on it.

I'm not happy with the vehicle color choice either, although this is purely a matter of taste. To me, it reminds me of a negative. The colors seem inverted. I think it should be white with the front panels, where the whiskers are, painted black. I also think you should cut back on some of those crystals. Right now it looks like a monochrome wave serpent with christmas lights all over it. But again, that is really more about taste than a painting critique.

The farseer is looking good, but I think the highlights on the cape are too subtle, but that could just be the camera.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Your fingernails are so clean! Also I like your walker alot. Please post a pic when its done. :)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you lav25gunner, I was just thinking about how I could work some more detail into the serpent. I actually like the way I have painted it, I agree on all the red on it, but I like the black and whie on it. I am planning on getting a different heavy vehicle to paint in the opposite way to the wave serpent so that they aren't all the same looking. And thank you Ninjurai I suppose I do have clean nails haha. As soon as I do more work on the walker I will post more pictures. Now that someone shows interest in it it motivates me to work on it more!

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I am planning on getting a different heavy vehicle to paint in the opposite way to the wave serpent so that they aren't all the same looking. Now that someone shows interest in it it motivates me to work on it more!
For being newer in the hobby youre doing pretty alright. But i have to mention a few things which detract from your overall scheme. First is i would say to not put such heavy coats on the models. remember several thinned down coats are better than one large goopy coat. Painting another heavy vehicle in the opposite color scheme will only serve to make that model stick out like a sore thumb among the rest of your army. youve got a good scheme going however and i would suggest taking the advice on the highlights. the models will look so much better for it as you can see by the example.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thank you SwedeMarine for your comment. My two Guardians that I have painted I used some white war panter spray which was a huge mistake. I don't know if that's just how it is or if I was just to close or what but it went on way too thick. I sprayed a whole squad of them and only finished those two and then striped as much off the rest as I could. I think that another heavy vehicle painted the opposite wouldn't really stick out to much because my guardians are making up the majority of my army and they are mostly white and my farseers and warlocks are going to be mostly black. So it kinda fits. I won't know till I try though. Now for base coating I use an airbrush and thin the paint with Vallejo airbrush thinner. And after using the thinner for the airbrush I tried it with the paint I used with the brush and I actually really like it for that as well. And I do plan to highlight the serpent. What is the best way to do that though?

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Best way i have found it so get a size 00 or 000 sable brush (a bit more expensive but will give you a straight tip as long as you clean the brush.)and then do one slightly thick highlight of grey and the follow with a pencil thinof white or light grey on the very edges.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
oh okay thank you! I'll try that out.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
I would suggest putting the farseer in warm water to gently bend the sword straight
So here's attempt #1 to straighten the sword. It was straighter right after I did it, but after a day of it sitting it bent back a little.

Attempt #2: I just now did this so I'm going to see how straight the sword is tomorrow. And yes I put it in hot water bent the sword straight then put the make shift clamp in place.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The farseer is looking good, but I think the highlights on the cape are too subtle, but that could just be the camera.

Here is a little bit better picture of the cape. Also some of the black looks glossy because I was using some Vallejo black ink for the wash and I was putting it on a little thick in the darker areas and it dried glossy but when I'm done with this Farseer I'm going to spray it with a matte clear coat so that should make it more flat looking.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Here Parkerd, I found this on the internet. it might help with the black cape.

"I first applied Black Grey over the robes. Codex Grey was used as the first highlight of the robe. Astronomican Grey was used as a final highlight on the robes. The robes were then washed with Badab Black to tie the colors together and deepen the details."

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thank you Lav, I'll have to try that out.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts