Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just back after a long break from 40K and from Heresy, and to celebrate my return I want to start a new army. However I can't decide which. Now I know we all hate these threads but I need a hand choosing.

I've narrowed it down to three different options; Night Lords, Tau or Raven Guard. Here is a short summary on my thoughts for each:

Night Lords: I want to make a fun army with these guys, not really caring about competitiveness. The background for them intrigues me and I'm a big background guy. Fun and fluffy would be my objectives if I went with this choice.

Tau: Recently I have been looking at the Tau and they seem pretty interesting. I like the whole techno-amazingness thing they have going on, and the suits and flying tanks look like fun. If I went for the Tau I would be going for a very mobile, suit and tank heavy army.

Raven Guard: Similar to the Night Lords, the Raven Guard really interest me. If I went for them I would either use C:SM with or without Shrike or use C:BA for all the jump-pack goodness.

Pros and cons, questions and general musings are all great, so please throw in your thoughts, its appreciated.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
If you want inspiration for NL, read Lord of the Night. I always liked the idea of a raptor swooping down, causing terror, skinning, scalping, brilliant! :biggrin: If you like Saw movies, then you'll like Night Lords.

Raven Guard, well they're a bit... meh. Sneaking around for SM? Power Armoured infiltrators? I'm not sure.

Tau are great if you're into Mecha/Manga stuff, they're strong at range but most of their units are great or terrible, not many in betweens.

Whatever you choose, good luck!

Midnight

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Night Lords have got good fluff, but I've never really been a fan of them as an army.

Tau... they can either be terrible or awesome. Suit heavy armies are great if you can play them right and their tanks are pretty awesome too. They sound like they might suit you especially if you like shooty armies.

Raven Guard are an interesting bunch.. BA's are probably the closest you'd get to them at the moment, being an assault based army... but, the next Forge World book will feature the Raven Guard, so you'll get a bunch of interesting new models from them, and probably some army lists to make them more official.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the input guys! :D

So far I think I am leaning more towards the Night Lords, but more opinions would be great!

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
If you were gonna do Raven Guard I would suggest that you get the most recent IA book (Raid on Kastoral Novem IIRC). Captain Korvadae is nasty amd lets you take Assault Marines as troops, couple him with Shrike and you have a fairly nasty combo. I used to play Raven Guard because I love them but it basically comes down to this: do you like painting black?

I think Night Lords would be fun when coupled with C:BA and ignoring my Tau bias would have my vote.

·
Registered
377 Posts
An easy way to do night lords and keep them kick ass, is to use the blood angels codex for them. This way you have all the jump pack goodness and you're sticking to the fluff. Ive been waiting a long time to do this, but the cash flow needed just hasn't come about

·
Registered
648 Posts
An easy way to do night lords and keep them kick ass, is to use the blood angels codex for them. This way you have all the jump pack goodness and you're sticking to the fluff. Ive been waiting a long time to do this, but the cash flow needed just hasn't come about
This right here. BA is Night Lords is super kewl.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm just getting back into the hobby with a chaos force as well! Using the BA codex and making Night Lords Marines seems like a really good way to go. It'll allow you to collect what you feel like. Want some kickass Baal pred support, go for it! Want to throw in some daemon princes and play chaos over the weekend or in a campaign, why not? This opens up a lot of avenues for you, and allows you to play a really good jp army. Have fun!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
On talk of raven Guard the FW guy needs you to have a scouut squad in the army but you can get assalut marines as troops (or may just be a single assault squad* also has FC, Hit an run an counter attack

·
Registered
230 Posts
Night Lords were always my favorite faction of CSM and hard to go past the awesomeness of Raven Guard. And Tau are just sexy. I'd agree with others in using the BA codex for RG & NL as it would be more competitive and with some work can fit the fluff very well. Tau are an excellent mono-build army (and very underrated) as seen here, but if you don't care about army competitiveness I'd go for NL or RG (FW have released some new RG models too which look nice...).

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the help guys, you've all got some rep as a thank you :)

I've decided to go for the Night Lords and use the BA codex primarily (maybe use the CSM codex ocassionally, just for a change). It's sounds like great fun, thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions it's all been really helpful.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks for all the help guys, you've all got some rep as a thank you :)

I've decided to go for the Night Lords and use the BA codex primarily (maybe use the CSM codex ocassionally, just for a change). It's sounds like great fun, thanks for all the thoughts and suggestions it's all been really helpful.
I think Codex swapping is an underused thing to do with marines. While some players might get annoyed if you do it incessantly, I think if the representations are clear it opens up some great "counts as" possiblities. Want to field your army in a special jump assault? BA codex. The last stand of your famed heros? SW codex. etc.

Have fun with the Night Lords!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts