Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys! Orkrates here!

I started playing with Games Workshop minis back in 1998 when i was a young'un. Played solidly for five years, and took a big break. (University.) Have just got in touch with an old Blood Angel playing school friend so I thought i'd give the hobby another go! :)

My fave games: 40K, Gorkamorka, Bloodbowl.

I've spent the last few days reading up on the new rules. (The last time I played 40k was 3rd edition!) Sad to see the choppa's arent as deadly anymore...but Boyz w/furious charge does seem amazing!

Sadly I don't think my old warboss is going to cut it anymore. I'm thinking of converting a new one...anyone have any experience with that? I could use a few pointers. :)

-Orkrates

·
Registered
79 Posts
Waaaaagggghhhhhh
great another ork player welcome back to the hobby mate.
A great place to start is the BR starter set that includes a great looking warboss (ebay is a good place to look).
other than that full size squads are the best, for example 30 boyz in a squad can do a lot of damage.
good luck

·
Powered by Squig Tea
7,589 Posts
The Assault on Black Reach set is a good set to get hold of, the plastic Warboss is a good base for conversions.

Wecome to Heresy Online, we have quite a few Ork players with good threads in the Modelling and Painting forum as well as the Ongoing Projects.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Welcome back.

Furious Charge is a big boost, but armored opponents can cause you problems and I3 is pretty poor. Orks are all about the overwhelming assault, getting as much pain in one place and smashing their opponents in 1 turn, after FC wears off they lose a lot of potency. The tricky part with 5th ed is setting up that grand assault considering the difficulties Orks have with armor and getting stuck in tarpits or bubblewrap.

What are you trying to do with your Warboss? Typically the Powerklaw is your best set up with him, a cybork body is essential, and any other upgrades depend on points available and how you end up using him.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Chumbalaya. For the warboss - probably a powerclaw, eavy armour, cybork body, and a bike.

Are wartraks useless? From the codex they seem to be a waste. I only ask because I've just ordered the BR Warboss and need to convert him a bike from something. (And I've got two wartraks to hand.)

Anyway, thanks for the warm welcome chaps. I'll try and keep the newby questions to a minimum. :)

·
Registered
648 Posts
'Eavy Armor you won't need because the Bike gives you a 4+ save anyway. Typically, your best protection against stuff that doesn't ignore armor is going to be your T5 (6 on a bike) and FNP from the unit if Nobs you joined.

Buggies are awesome because they're so cheap, Wartrakks are handy as well since they're so mobile but the extra points can add up.

Keep the questions coming, it's the best way to learn :p

1 - 6 of 6 Posts