Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm wondering if any1 knows some resin, plastic, any non-metal models that look close enough to pass for SOBs.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Sorry, such a thing does not exist.

Trust me, I've been looking myself.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Give it a few months to a year and there should be plastic SOB.

·
Registered
246 Posts

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
there are rumours of the iqusitions getting up dated which usually has new models follow it so plastic sisters within a year is a possibility.

·
4,491 Posts
Yeah I would just wait for the new models when they update the Inquisition forces. Which they will do :biggrin:

Skar
In 5 years time.
The fact that they released the Inquisition codices as a PDF just confirms that GW have no interest in making a new codex for them for a while.
If they were going to update the codex then there would be no point in doing the PDF.

The rumors about the new codex was relating to the PDF. The people that still claim the rumors of an actual codex coming are just being hopeful and cant accept that the PDF was the rumored codex.

As for new plastic models, the molds cost a FORTUNE, and it would be financial suicide.
And honestly, even if GW did make plastic Inquisition, they wouldn't sell much more than they do now. Their sales might pick up 10-50% for the Inquisition stuff, but it is still nowhere near financially viable for them to do so considering the massive costs.
They would be better off spending the money to develop new molds for popular armies, and not armies that rarely ever get played.

Id be happy to see the Inquisition get redone. New codex and new models.
However, its not going to happen. Not for a long time.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Give it a few months to a year and there should be plastic SOB.
Yes, that's true. I heard the exact same thing. I heard they're coming out with an entire new line plastic Witch Hunters, and an entire NEW line of Dark Eldar, and all new plastic Daemon Hunter terminators. I heard that it's coming out in 5 months...... 6 years ago!!!

Anything is possible, but don't hold your breath. I don't wanna say it's not coming to plastic, but it probably won't. And I hope I don't look like a jack-ass in 5 months.

As to the bullshit that molds cost a FORTUNE, that's GW (entire miniature industry) crap. That's what they tell you to justify you paying $50 for 5 tiny little Terminators. Or $90 for the Vampire Counts Blood Knights made from magical GW metal!! Cause as we all know, that the metal they use is more rare that all the jewels in the kingdom.

How much could a mold possibly cost? Everyone tows the company line about the molds being expensive, but how much are we talking about? $50K, $100K, $200K, $400K, $500K? Does anyone here think that a mold cost half a million dollars? IF a mold cost half a million dollars then they ONLY need to sell 10,000 units of terminators at $50 each to break even. That's not much considering the near worldwide distribution of these "toys".

Yeah, those poor guys at GW are barely making a penny from us. In fact their stock (GAW) is only at $395 a share. Those poor bastards. :cray:

·
4,491 Posts
$20-50k for a mold apparently.

You also have to take into account the cost of the plastic, the cost of the packaging, power costs, employer wages, taxes, postage costs, etc.
And then they sell it to independent retailers for 40% of the RRP.

·
Registered
699 Posts

You also have to take into account the cost of the plastic, the cost of the packaging, power costs, employer wages, taxes, postage costs, etc.
That's true Cheese, they do sell it to independent retailers at 40% off and to store employees at 50% off and they STILL make a profit from that. Don't think that they sell it to employees at cost, or that they are only making 10% selling to independent retailers while the retailers make 40% profit. There's a reason that their stock is close to $400 a share, and it's not because they're making 10% profit form retailers.
If they choose not to make a new mold for it is because there was not a big demand on the stuff they had on they shelf. I'm afraid the Sisters may have gone the way of the Dark Eldar, or worse yet, the Space Dwarfs.
Sorry locustgate, we go off in a tangent. There's plenty of female based squads out there, but I don't think there's anything that resemble SOB.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Females in power armour that are not metal will be hard to find. One's that look like Sisters even more so.
There was that Starship Troopers game once but the ladies in that would be better as Stormtroopers then Sisters. (Good luck finding anything about it these days)

Tell you what, got to Wargames Factory and request Females in Power Armour and then dupe a few dozen people into ordering a few sprues each.

You'll probably get them before GW ever get around to the Sisters.

Again, trust me on this one. I've been looking for cheap means to increase my army or even just a few minis here and there to break up the seven styles repeated endlessly across my force.

·
Registered
643 Posts

Ok, lets look at the business standpoint.

You need to pay for the sculpt either way (and it will cost about the same amount). The packaging and the distributor and retailer profits are all going to be about the same with pewter or plastic minis.

Pewter molds cost around $150-$300 (for a mini). An order of magnitude lower than the cost for a plastic mold.

But pewter is way more expensive than plastic. Even if you are only doing a run of one-hundred minis, the pewter will cost quite a bit more than the mold.

With plastic minis, sure you'll have to refinance your home to make the mold, but the plastic minis themselves are dirt cheap to produce. Once you've sold enough of them to make up the enormous cost of the molds, you'll be sitting happy making lots of money without having to shell out much in expenses.

So... the Daemonhunters and Sisters of Battle will get plastic minis when more people play them. If they remain unpopular, then they will remain financially viable in metal.

Honestly, I'm ok with that. There's no reason why everything needs to be plastic, and it is kind of nice to have some of the more obscure forces have such nice metal minis.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I would gladly love to buy wh or gk....if they were in plastic, because I avoid metal models at if all possible. if one typhus model makes me rage, just imagine what an entire army will cuase. Also I like the custimability of plastic, but all in all, I don't expect gw to bend over backwards just because of people who claim they will buy the models if they are in plastic, but I remain hopeful.

·
Registered
40 Posts
In 5 years time.
The fact that they released the Inquisition codices as a PDF just confirms that GW have no interest in making a new codex for them for a while.
If they were going to update the codex then there would be no point in doing the PDF.

The rumors about the new codex was relating to the PDF. The people that still claim the rumors of an actual codex coming are just being hopeful and cant accept that the PDF was the rumored codex.

As for new plastic models, the molds cost a FORTUNE, and it would be financial suicide.
And honestly, even if GW did make plastic Inquisition, they wouldn't sell much more than they do now. Their sales might pick up 10-50% for the Inquisition stuff, but it is still nowhere near financially viable for them to do so considering the massive costs.
They would be better off spending the money to develop new molds for popular armies, and not armies that rarely ever get played.

Id be happy to see the Inquisition get redone. New codex and new models.
However, its not going to happen. Not for a long time.
You made me cry a little with this post...

But yeah, its true. I would like to see the sisters redone considering how difficult it is to master them but... UGH GW DOESN'T CARE ABOUT ANYTHING OTHER THAN MONEY NOW!!! :alcoholic: *misses the good old fluff*

·
Registered
351 Posts
So... the Daemonhunters and Sisters of Battle will get plastic minis when more people play them. If they remain unpopular, then they will remain financially viable in metal.
That there in is the Catch 22 of the Sisters of Battle and the Grey Knights.
All metal = No one buys = No update = No plastics = All metal.

Honestly, I'm ok with that. There's no reason why everything needs to be plastic, and it is kind of nice to have some of the more obscure forces have such nice metal minis.
However, many are not.
The cost of the Sisters of Battle, the weight, the entirety of seven poses repeated endlessly, the inability to customise one piece minis, the 3rd ed codex that is now no longer available for sale.
It'll be a wonder if we ever get an update at all, all things considered.

Then there is the inherent problem of receiving an update and no new minis.
Yeah, if plastic SoB are financial suicide then I can't imagine what this is, financial genocide?

GW will have to release plastics as that is what people have come to expect from GW, no plastic means no sale.
Advertising the army as 'something for veterans and collectors' is not how you advertise an army, it is how you dig its grave.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
They will do consumer testing and take a few sample opinions and see if it would generate a profit.

·
Registered
35 Posts

I once had to have a mould made. It wasn't minis, but it was only about $600.
Besides 1:72 mini manufacturers come out with zillions of new kits each year, and sell much smaller volumes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts