Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will GW let you use units to represent other units? say, if i have Tactical Marines, can they represent assault marines? the reason i ask is because i'm running an army currently hosting two 5 man squads of tactical marines, and i really don't want to pay the 60$ for buying new units and just tossing the old ones after all the work i did in painting them :(. let me know how thats handled please!

·
Registered
496 Posts
It would mostly be an issue only in tourneys ... friendly games ... usually not a problem.
unless the person is an asshole, which which case you shouldnt vers him anyway

just make sure you clear it with your opponant before the game starts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
like, my 5 man RAS dont even have jump packs, the only difference between them and Tac squads is that they have Bolters instead of Bolt Pistols and Chainswords, (one has a flamer, but the TAC marines have a flamer model).

i'll try to replace them slowly, but until then, srsly, some people can be such a holes

Can i buy a box of 10 Tacs and make 9 of them have Pistols and Swords and use them? do the sprues come with that?

·
Jeep's and Harley's
1,997 Posts
Nope the tac squad comes with ten guys and only one chainsword. Its got a bolt pistol and a plasma pistol as well. If you want chainswords you have to buy the assault squad guys 5 at a time. Go on ebay to get a good price on them ... thats what I did. I bought 10 boxes of them.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
they only come with 1 chain sword? thats silly the chaos space marine one has a chainsword for everyone just but that and use the swords

·
WFB Moderator
8,248 Posts
Will GW let you use units to represent other units? say, if i have Tactical Marines, can they represent assault marines? the reason i ask is because i'm running an army currently hosting two 5 man squads of tactical marines, and i really don't want to pay the 60$ for buying new units and just tossing the old ones after all the work i did in painting them :(. let me know how thats handled please!
If its a game or two then yes, almost any staff would let you.. after all its their job to get you to want to buy stuff, so using a new unit and seeing if you like it is in their interest.
The bit but in that is that GW is a SHOP first, foremost and only (seriously, as an ex-staff member its only manager perogative that makes stores any fun at all). Dont try to take the piss (so use the proxy for a few games/visits, but then either get the unit or stop using them), and certainly never mention money to any staff, especially managers... comments such as "but its $60 for the unit and I can just proxy it" will not go down well with even the nicest manager.

Of course if you want to get assault marines on the cheap there are many ways of doing it- eBay and bits sites (to get the assault packs and extra CCWs to convert tacs over) are probably the easiest.

·
Registered
390 Posts
"but its $60 for the unit and I can just proxy it" will not go down well with even the nicest manager.
i realised that a LONG time a go:p

Also never tell them that you brought some stuff off of a bits site or ebay. They don't like that.

·
blahblahblahblah
6,663 Posts
I wouldn't mind someone proxying for a few games, but if it became every single game without any sign of this changing, then it would get a little silly, plus by the time you've been proxying that long you should of saved enough money surely, and save some cash buying from somewhere cheaper or second hand.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I'd have no problem with this, as long as its clear which units are which. Ideally, I would say proxy until you can afford to build the unit, but I'm on a tight budget myself and know that that can be a looooong time!

Your best bet is to buy a Tac squad and bits order the extra pistols and chainswords, although depending on your chapter's iconography a space wolf troop box might work as well (you get 10 of everything in there, but the shoulder pads/chest plates are a little too wolfy to fit most chapters).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts