Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Basically I've decided against a vulture... I want a barracuda... Until I see another cool model :D
But... I play blood angels whom don't how to xenos scum!!!
So what imperial model should I use to represent a barracuda
For those that don't know they have...
Ion cannon
x2 sponson mounted burst cannons
twin linked missile pod
I was thinking vulture... Plasma cannon or soemthing in the heavy bolter mount in the nose
Rocket pods as missile pods
But where do the burst cannons go?
Then I thought Valkyrie... But a vulture looks cooler :wink:, but it has heavy bolter sponsons for burst cannons, plasma cannon or whatever in the mount either side of the cockpit, rocket pods again.
So what do you guys think?
Vulture?
Vallyrie?
Other?
And where/ what should I mount where/ how?

Barracudas seem better for AA/ground attack than a vulture

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So you've decided you don't want a vulture, because you like the Barracuda model instead, which is a tau vehicle, but you want an imperial model to represent it.

Wat?
Not model so much my bad... Rules
Why would I take 20 AP - shots when I get large blast AP2?

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It'll be in an unbound list so no FOC there :)
I've basically left my assault marines at home until grey knights die down again :(
But I figured that an ion blast would do more damage than Punishers agaisnt 3+ and better saves which I mostly face

·
Registered
3,689 Posts
Not model so much my bad... Rules
Why would I take 20 AP - shots when I get large blast AP2?
The answer you are looking for is called "scratch build"...

Since there is not really going to be a model to truly represent what you want to see.

Or just get one of the SM flyers...

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not really confident in scratch building an entire vehicle when I can quite easily kit bash/convert from existing ones, and get better results :)
And the amount of AA I see at my gw is minimal, of any
I want to take this flyer mainly as an answer to the increasing number of grey knight players I see... Meaning loads more AP3 melee, which means that assault marines are a big no no, leaving half my collection useless :(
And I'm sure a AP2 pie plate will be better against termies and marines than Punishers..
Also the ion cannon non blast and missile pods will be good on off chance that vehicles need to disappear BEFORE my TH/SS termies get in

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Also on the rules side...
A barracuda will kill 5-6 tactical marines in a single shot (blast hitting 5)
A vulture with Punishers will kill ~4-4.5 against tactical marines...
Arguably the vulture will be superior against terminators as the ion cannon is only AP3
But the vulture is also not as good against vehicles, with it just about being able to glance light vehicles up to AV11
The barracuda on the other hand can damage up to AV13, woth much better chances against AV11 and 10, as it has much higher strength weapons
Therefore, combined with the lesser amount of sky fire I can expect, I think the barracuda is far superior to a punisher vulture in an attack role
I think the I'll go with the Valkyrie idea I mentioned at the start
Does anyone have any better ideas?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
You can do what I did with my 'Imperial' Night Scythe.

Start with the hull of a Dakkajet (which is Imperial in design). Add the engine turbines for a Stormraven to bulk up the speed/thrust a bit, instead of the small boosters the dakka has. For wings, use the wings from a Skyray, which also gives you a spot to put the burst cannons. You can install the Burst Cannon into the central vent, (where I put the Scythe's portal), and then strap missile pods under the wings.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Problem with that is it's like 4 different models mashed together :)
I have a bits box sure but it doesn't stretch that far unfortunatly :(

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
This is the Night Scythe I had been making, if you wanted to see how it worked.

Yes, it's a lot of parts, but when I build fliers, I tend to do that; I just order from a local bits place each piece, and the price tag tends to be around the same as much as a standard kit, but I get the design I want. I'd be shocked to find out you had the hull for a vehicle in your bits box, after all.

Because of the stats for a Barracuda, the only other suggest I can offer is to start with a Valkyrie. Add burst cannons where the Heavy Bolter turrets would go, and that's -close- to the independent turrets that come from drone fire. You could use the Pathfinder Ion rifles in place of the nose mounted lascannon, just so it looks like the right weapon (even though it's rather small), and then mount missile pods under the wings. When you're scratch building/kitbashing, I find it important to make sure you use the right weapon to represent the model, even if the model doesn't match. No cries of foul when using it. The only exception would be using a weapon that obviously can't fit; I would never use Valkyrie rocket pods to say they're missile pods, because it COULD be an Imperial fighter. However, I also have a Chaos Decimator kitbashed out of a Dreadknight, and I run a Heavy Guass Cannon (the same one on the night scythe, in fact) as a Conversion Beamer. Sure it's a necron weapon, but on a Chaos model in a full Chaos army there's no way anyone's expecting it to be something other than archaeotech.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah but I would rather not buy a model just for because it looks cool :)
I already have a Baal predator, and an ethereal sitting around because of that :(
That's about 4 months of my income wasted :)
I'll sell them when I find a box to fit them :)
I could missile pods aligned under the wings of the Valkyrie, abit like on the nephillium of whatever it is.
Maybe I could use a nephillium or whatever, I think they look badass as well, and the warp cannon or whatever in the front could probably fit and ion cannon... Not sure on the heavy bolters though :(

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Yeah but I would rather not buy a model just for because it looks cool :)
I already have a Baal predator, and an ethereal sitting around because of that :(
That's about 4 months of my income wasted :)
I'll sell them when I find a box to fit them :)
I could missile pods aligned under the wings of the Valkyrie, abit like on the nephillium of whatever it is.
Maybe I could use a nephillium or whatever, I think they look badass as well, and the warp cannon or whatever in the front could probably fit and ion cannon... Not sure on the heavy bolters though :(
Well if you dont want a model cos its cool then the obvious choice is buy the correct one instead.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Obvious is for the weak! :biggrin:
But seriously, I want it to fit the theme of my army, my flesh tearers shall not now down to the xenos scum!
I'm not getting it solely for the model, nor solely for the rules
If that makes sense :)

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
And that's why you kit bash. You want a model that's fitting the theme of your army. So... you either run a 'looted' valkyrie that has mounted salvaged Xenotech onto your army (and hope no inquisitor comes close), or you design your own craft that fits the style of your army.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And that's why you kit bash. You want a model that's fitting the theme of your army. So... you either run a 'looted' valkyrie that has mounted salvaged Xenotech onto your army (and hope no inquisitor comes close), or you design your own craft that fits the style of your army.
I was thinking the looted xeno tech... Although I maybe won't cool it looted xeno tech... I'll paint it in imperial colours and say their experimental tech or ancient relics or some shit :)
But what should I use as the platform for the weapons?
Which air craft can have roughly the same mountings for all of the barracuda guns?
And is it worth taking seeker missiles?

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
I was thinking the looted xeno tech... Although I maybe won't cool it looted xeno tech... I'll paint it in imperial colours and say their experimental tech or ancient relics or some shit :)
But what should I use as the platform for the weapons?
Which air craft can have roughly the same mountings for all of the barracuda guns?
And is it worth taking seeker missiles?
The Valkyrie can install Missile Pods under the wings, Burst Cannons in the sponsons, and an Ion Cannon/Rifle barrel where the nose lascannon/multilaser goes.

A Dark Talon could use the wing missiles, the Rift Gun as an Ion Cannon, and you'd need to put Burst cannons in where the heavy bolters go. However, you won't have independent turrets the way it's supposed to be.

The Stormtalon can put missile pods where the missile sponsons go, and an Ion cannon under the nose. I'd add Sky Ray wings with the Burst Cannons to the large engines, and lock it in cruise mode, rather than giving it the hover feature.

I've already showed you how I'd do it with a Dakka Jet, which is an imperium hull design.

I wouldn't use the raven, it's too beefy for 2HP.

·
Registered
480 Posts
WTF is this heresy? Sell your Blood Angels and buy Tau. The Mechanicus has never found an STC that resembles this xeno tech you desribe.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts