Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the idea of a renegade guard army, the only problem is I don't really like the forge-world rules/codex. IMHO I think the forge world codex is based around spending as much money as possible on forge world products.

I was thinking of just using the new astra militarum codex stats but renaming it to sound more Chaosey, so in essence it would be a guard army painted and converted to look like chaos

Not sure how this will work though and where to start, so I thought I would come here for inspiration, colour schemes and conversion ideas and how I would adapt the codex and allies???

·
Registered
176 Posts
It's called "count as... army". Thousands people do it substituting miniatures from one army with a codex from another. Just make sure you let your opponents know that they are playing against Astra Militarum Codex. The colour scheme depends on your own preferences, you can make a Blood Pact army, or take the name of another known Traitor AM regiment (from the Eye of Terror Codex, for instance), or make your own completely new Traitor AM army.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Not sure how this will work though and where to start, so I thought I would come here for inspiration, colour schemes and conversion ideas and how I would adapt the codex and allies???
This is what I've been doing for a while, and I have a few pointers as to what I've done:

- Chaos cultists are excellent for this. If you can nab some from Dark Vengeance, cool, if not, you still have access to the more limited selection in the cheap 5-man box they sell. Ones with autoguns make good guardsmen, and ones with autopistol+ccw are nice sergeants. If you have duplicate cultist models, I would personally swap out their weapons or heads for other bits and the like to make them look less similar, but that's not essential.

- Kitbashing Fantasy kits into IG. I have mashed together a mix of Catachans, Cadians, Beastmen Ungors, and Empire Flagellants in order to get a mass of mutated, fanatical infantry armed with lasguns, etc...

- It shouldn't be too hard to add spikes to some tanks or the like. I myself am just painting my tanks black, so they still fit alongside the Death Korps minis I inherited from a friend while still looking suitably "Chaosy," but you don't have that limitation Go wild with green stuff daemonic possession of vehicles, etc!

- If you want to make a slightly less competitive--but very fluff-accurate--army, consider bringing a bunch of Primaris Psykers and Wyrdvane Psyker squads who roll on Malefic Daemonology to represent daemon-possession among their army's numbers. Sure, any time they try to cast a big spell (and often when they try to cast a small one) they'll Perils, but that just represents reality tearing itself apart as the daemons who are possessing them hack their way through the walls of reality and make their presence known. Then you have to deal with the fact that the armies are "come the Apocalypse"--there's a chace the guard will be too busy quaking in their boots or falling to the ground in worship to do anything the next turn, or the Daemons will be sneering condescendingly at their pawns...

So perhaps not the most effective army build, but incredibly fun and accurate to the guiding idea behind the list!

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
Kit bash and count as brother.....my army 'is' tau but I play it as rogue humans with some tau/farsight outcasts. I've never had problems playing with it though. Anyone know the legality in GW official games of count as.

As allies I generally use both Imp and Tau allies......I wouldn't hold my hopes on a GW game allowing it.

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Buried way deep on a couple-years-dormant plog (having been focusing on painting my CSM and Daemons recently), yeah, but I think I can dig some up:

Also some mildly converted cultists, for variety. Pretty much left those with autoguns alone, since they were harder to snip bits off of.

Some special weapons...

Aaand then there's my brother's Nurgle Chimera that rather started the whole thing:

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
wow the beast men are a great idea, love the look of them.

I'm personally not a fan of the GW cultists, i do like the heavy weapons guys but the rest are too peasant looking.

how well do the guard models compare to say a beast man unit?

·
Entropy Fetishist
4,249 Posts
Catachan minis are fairly well-proportioned to fit with ungors, but I think Cadian minis would be too small and Gors would be too large. Do bear in mind, though, that you'd be building 20 minis with only 10 round bases, since the ungors come with square ones--I hope your bitz box has some spares! (I have a bunch of extra slotted bases, hence the paper strips on a lot of these guys' bases)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts