Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Rending shooting attack

2K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  Flame80010 
#1 ·
Was doing some research and found an entry that makes no sense, I understand how rending works in CC, but they entry in the rulebook I can only hope is a misprint. It states that on rending shooting attack, when you roll a 6 on the "to-wound" roll, it wounds automatically regardless of Toughness and counts as AP2.
Is this correct because the math doesnt seem right to me, Assault cannons for example, are strength 6, a "to-wound" roll of 6 should be able to wound any Toughness. Your just not gaining the benefit of the AP2.

#4 ·
Your just not gaining the benefit of the AP2.
I think you meant to say "you're only gaining the benifit of AP2" right? Any roll of 6 to wound, and you'll get AP2. This is a HUGE benifit of rending weapons, with an assault cannon, 3 hits will get you a rend about half the time. Against terminators, or even any power armoured unit, that can seriously increase your number of kills.

Plus, the benifit against vehicles of course, as Taggerung mentioned.

#6 ·
Actually, I was needing clarification on which roll triggers rending on shooting attacks. In CC it goes off your "to-hit' roll, but when shooting it goes off your "to-wound" roll, it didnt make sense to me.

#7 ·
blackmane001,

Rending for CC is also on 'to-wound' rolls, not 'to-hit' as mentioned, refer to pp.42 in rulebook. In terms of armour penetration, same as Rending for shooting, you get an extra D3 to your Strength 6 + D6 roll. The real benefit comes from getting a chance to blow through 3+ or better armour along w/ an extra D3 for tank busting.

Hope this helps.

#8 ·
it used to be on to hit for both in 4th edition, but apparently bypassing rolls was deemed overpowered (it was quite good, really). Now you get to ignore armour saves on a 6 to wound and also if you have a low strength rending weapon (say S3) you could wound something with T8 on a 6, which you couldn't do otherwise.

#9 ·
it used to be on to hit for both in 4th edition, but apparently bypassing rolls was deemed overpowered (it was quite good, really). Now you get to ignore armour saves on a 6 to wound and also if you have a low strength rending weapon (say S3) you could wound something with T8 on a 6, which you couldn't do otherwise.

Assault cannons were seriously broken in the previous edition. You really could max out on them and reasonably expect to take down anything. That and the fact that you could get two in a five man squad of termies was a real handfull. Trust me a ran a dethwing under those rules.

#11 · (Edited)
it was funny that a CArnifex could get like... 25 or somthing when rolling for armor pen in their 4th ed codex x3

(S10 + 2d6 + D3)

wait no.... 28

10 + 6 + 6 + 3 + 3 = 28

and im pretty sure the Fex came out cheaper o.o though it did have to be in melee combat... (2-3 Attacks ftw XD)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.