Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum.. Anyways.. I just came back from the local hobby shop with a box that has 1 drop pod, 3 rhinos, 1 dread, 1 landspeeder, and a squad of terminators.. I got it all for 40 bucks because someone basecoated them with some black oil based spray paint. Anyone know of any chemicals I can put them in to dissolve the oil paint or get it off?

·
Administrator
6,544 Posts
Yeesh. I actually kind of cringed when I saw the title for this one-- I've been at this for 15 years and I don't have a ready answer for that. I'd give Simple Green a try first, since that tends to work with both enamel and acrylic. If that doesn't do it, brake fluid is the next option, but I wouldn't leave anything in brake fluid too long. If that doesn't work... I suggest setting them on fire, because they are too corrupted and the Emperor will no longer tolerate their presence in His sight.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It was too good to pass up. At the worst i'll buy some spikes and give them to my chaos space marines.. I really wanted to fix them up to complete my blood angels army though.. I could use the rhino's and dread as death company since they're already black. Hopefully there's something out there..

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Oil based sprays tend to be fast drying enamels, this type of paint is generally used to be fairly resistant to life, I would imagine you are going to struggle to remove thos with a solvent that wont also melt the oil based plastic under the paint, my advice would be try and paint over it, buy a very fine sand paper and rough up the flat surfaces so help the new paint stick.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. The sandpaper worked well. 3 Rhinos and the drop pod are more or less salvaged.. The rest might take a bit of work. Maybe i'll try putting them in some of the chemicals suggested.. Can't really complain though with what I paid.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Don't use Simple Green for stripping minis; use iso-propyl alcohol (also known as IPA, propan-2-ol, propanol, rubbing alcohol, etc...) as it does a much more efficient job. Simple Green contains treated alcohol anyway, which is probably the active ingredient used in stripping paint, but buying propanol (You can pick up a 5L bottle of 99.9% for less than £15 on eBay) does a better job and you can probably water it down a bit and still do fine which stretches your money even further.

I have used isopropanol on MANY models and it does not harm the plastic at all and you can start removing paint within 10 minutes. If you spill it, it evaporates fairly easily as well (wear a mask) and whilst it stinks, the smell fades very quickly.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Yeah Isopropyl will get rid of any paint, and it works really quick with most paints. You seeit used for clear up after an oil wash so will get rid of oil paint easy peasy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just took the dread out of the 99% isopropyl alcohol bath.. the oil paint came off like a layer of guck. Like it was never sprayed in the first place. Now going to bath the terminators and landspeeder.. I figured those pieces were just write offs.. thanks a lot again for all the suggestions!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts