Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided that motorizing and illuminating and remote controlling a soulgrinder or defiler would be a fun project.... so, before i destroy my toys.... has anyone seen such a thing? and should i go with the soulgrinder or the defiler? will post wip pics if/when i have a functional thing...:crazy:

·
Super Moderator
8,561 Posts
There are build your own remote control insects in my local Maplins (electrical parts store) that are the same size as a Defiler so it would be possible; cannot remember which manufacturer they are.

The legs of both Soul Grinders and defilers are the same so walking-wise it would not make a difference.

As the torso of the Soul Grinder is flesh and the Defiler is metal I would have thought the upper half of a Defiler would be easier to engineer.

·
Registered
116 Posts
That's gonna be a pig to engineer!

But if you pull it off you'll get rep and admiration from me. :drinks:

The main issue is gonna be working out how to make it move without too many servos as you only have limited space and presumably you won't have a bottomless bank account for a 100000000000 channel handset.

What I reckon might work is if you modify the servos so they become more like electric motors, and then with a system of linkages make it so the ball joint between the leg and the main body moves in a walking motion. Imagine a pin that (if extended) would go through the centre of the ball joint and the one on the opposite side, and when the leg moves it traces a circular pattern in the air (the lower arc is the motion of picking the leg up and placing it forwards, the other would drag the model forwards). You would then need to sync the two outer legs on one side and the middle one on the other, and the others synced so as one set drags the body forwards, the other is moving forwards in preparation for dragging it.

Sorry if that isn't clear, but that's the only way I can explain it, and it's the only solution I can think of at the moment.

I have also thought how you could arrange the linkage system:
Put a gear behind each ball joint in the main body and extend the pin I talked about above so that it goes into the gear in such a way that when the gear turns it produces the circular motion. You would have to make four grooves in the side of the ball, with pins in the frame that would limit movement to prevent it just spinning in the socket. You can then link the gears up with a belt drive and drive them with a servo (I have from my amateur robotics days a guide to removing the limiter from servos to allow them to spin continuously rather than just a short twist). Put one of these assemblies on each side and you can then steer it tank-style.

I reckon you could do this using quite a bit of the plastic kit. You would be able to use the legs as you wouldn't need a knee joint with my design idea; and you could use the upper body probably to house the receiver, etc. However you'd probably have to make your own chassis to accommodate the gears and servos.

Sorry for the long post but this is something I'd really like to see done.

·
Registered
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your description makes sense to me. It's essentially the design I have come up with. A less obvious problem that I came up with is that if I move the legs on one side with one motor/servo, and the legs on the other side with a second motor/servo, (because that is the easy way to allow it to turn in place, steer, etc) every little bit the thing will be attempting to walk forward on only the middle leg on either side. I believe this will result in the thing tipping forward so the front legs come in contact with the table (they will be moving the wrong direction). The front legs will probably have more weight over them due to the walker's front heavy design, and that means they will push backwards harder than the middle legs push forward. I have come up with 2 solutions to this... extend the body to add a fourth leg on either side (almost no chance of fitting enough hardware into the original body anyway), or... figure out how to steer the thing by modifying the stride length and moving three legs at a time with a single motor (this option intimidates me).

Regarding budgets.... (watch the videos of these things.... stunning...) http://www.trossenrobotics.com/Hexapod-Robot-Kits.aspx

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts