Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hiya,

Some different minis from my usual Death Guard.

I've still to develop fluff for these guys, but essentially their painted in Soviet-style colours. These guys are veterans and are coloured red, while ordinary Space Marines will be in dark green.

You'll see that the images show them as being very shiny - they don't look like that in reality!

Been really busy lately so not much done paint-wise, but I'm looking at doing some more of these guys before I attempt to tackle my mountain of Death Guard vehicles ...

Red Star Captain - old SM mini from the early '90s

View attachment 7678 View attachment 7679

Red Star Termie Captain (will try to get a better pic soon as the shading/highlights on cloak are lost)

View attachment 7680 View attachment 7681 View attachment 7682

Sternguard Squad (minus one still on the paint table)

View attachment 7683 View attachment 7684 View attachment 7685 View attachment 7686 View attachment 7687 View attachment 7688

Comments and feedback welcome!

·
Premium Member
5,182 Posts
I love the sputnik picture on the banner, and you certainly deserve some rep for the captain. I have the power armoured one somewhere painted up as an IF 3rd company captain.

My only critic is that the paint looks a little thick but I think this may be due to the closeness of the pictures you have taken.

A nice idea well executed. Are the shoulder icons all free hand?

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
I think you need to give the gold on the shoulder pads a wash of brown then highlight it up abit as it looks a bit flat atm, but they look really good especially the bone and scroll parchments

glory to the union and all that comrade!

·
Registered
364 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Guys,

The photos are extreme close ups, so they show every last pimple... my blood red is getting a little thick, but it was thinned, promise!

:wink:

Yes, the shoulder details are hand painted, as is the banner. All three are from Soviet propaganda posters. The Captain's pad, with the hammer n sickle, is from a design which tried to show a 3D-effect. It didn't come out as I'd have liked, but it's not bad. The Termie pad is also from a poster, though it really hasn't translated as well from page to pad... Sputnick was quite easy to do, just a circle, some shading and Sov-style lettering.

Thanks also for the feedback on the gold trim - I actually have washed and highlighted it; the pics don't show it well, but I can say for sure that, even though I have done it, they could do with some more!

Arabest Guys.

CtS

1 - 5 of 5 Posts