Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do the Chapters resupply all of the vehicles and technology that is lost in battle. I was under the impression that each suit of armour and land raider were precious artifacts with hundreds if not thousands of years of history behind them. Now obviously some aren't completely destroyed and can be repaired (as long as the correct hymns are sung!) but I've never come across any fluff where new or fresh equipement is used. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
New stuff is made, read Salamander by Nick Kyme there's a ship full of Power Armour suit that are fresh from the forges captured by the Marines Malevolent and Salamanders.

Astartes weaponry isn't made at the same rate as before the Heresy (I presume) but it's still constructed to replace those relics that can't be recovered and repaired.

·
Registered
164 Posts
i was under the impression that they still manufacture these items in small numbers....
After all they still manufacture titans so in respect land raiders and such should be a walk in the park.

Al tough they may be religious artifacts persay its inevitable that some get lost in battle.
Also with the amount of untis of armor and tanks from pre-heresy its likely items are still recovered and put to use again

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
I kind of agree with what has been said, and if something goes beyond repair, the chapters Techmarines would probably strip it bare of anything, and they could use it for something new...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I can't point to a specific novel or book but I think it's been established that the Imperium still manufacturers new armor and tanks for the Space Marines. The problem is that the Imperium is HUGE and very inefficient. It probably takes hundreds of years for new equipment and armor to arrive after a Chapter makes their request for more. Even longer if the Mechanicus doesn't like your Chapter. In such an situation it makes sense that the Marines would keep repairing and re-using old weapons as long as possible because they have no way of knowing when they'll be getting new stuff.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I take it if the armour/vehicle is properly sanctified by the tech priests all is okay?

·
Registered
87 Posts
Each chapter maintains its own armory and motor pool. I highly doubt the Salamanders would wait for the Cog-Boys of Mars to send them a new Rhino. The only time the Mechanicus would be involved is when founding a new chapter I think.

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
I'd assume it was most likely common sense, one rhino's motor burns out they rip it out and they merely replace it with another salvaged motor.

If one is completely destroyed I guess they have no choice but to wait for the cog boys and get a new one.

:biggrin: marneus calgar doing invoices, oh 40k beauracracy you make me smile

·
Registered
7,314 Posts
Any new equipment outside of the very basics would have to be procured from the Mechanicus as they have all the STC's to do it. And that would take centuries because that's how the Imperium roll. There are things they simply cannot make any more, like Land Raiders and Dreadnoughts but chapters have enough of these that they don't really need any more.

It's the timescales which are really distorted in 40K, it might take you 100 years to get you're new Razorbacks, but then again a Space Marine Chapter might only have a significant engagement every century or so. And even then the chances they would roll out the Dreadnoughts or Land Raiders is slim, those are only ever used in dire straights. It's not like the Table Top where Dante and 9 of the 11 Sanguinary Priests of the Chapter, with the entire Sanguinary Guard show up to kick in the teeth of some Orks.

Aramoro

·
Registered
31 Posts
Surely Bjorn gets to come out and play more often than once a century

EDIT: silly me... just read that he is awoken only once every thousand years or in the most extreme of situations..

·
description whore
2,864 Posts
I believe from what I have read he has asked not to be awoken, however he awakes in times of danger or when there are tales to tell. Guess Bjorn has become more of a historical relic than a warrior, though admittedly he could still rip you apart if needed

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've always found the AM a very interesting section of 40K lore. They hold so much power over the imperium that they are basically their own empire.

Like any good system, if it works you do everything you can to keep it working. Salvaging is a big deal within each chapter, and while new gear is created (Mk revs) it is done at a much lower pace that would be required to completely outfit all chapters... one has to wonder if this supply is kept low for a reason :so_happy:

One has to wonder at some point when the line will finally blur on simple servitors outfitted with guns to true AI/sentient mechanical killing machines that rival that of SM's. What better way to combat the enemies than to use machines.. just watch out for anything that calls itself skynet. Stay away from that one.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Well, from a purely numbers point of view they must be producing more weapons and armour as there are currently roughly a million marines in the galaxy as opposed to
the smaller numbers of marines during the great crusade (though there were most likely at least two to three hundred thousand marines active during that era but probably less than half a million) and i doubt that each marine had a spare bolter and set of power armour just lying around.

·
Registered
84 Posts
From what ive read and heard. most marines are tought how to do basic repair jobs to their gear, in certian book ive read althought i can't remember forr the life of me which it states that the Techmarines made wargear for the chapter, and then you have the salamanders who i believe forge their own armour as a final challage or rite or something of the like

·
Registered
312 Posts
One thing I find utterly incompetent is that in all the years CSM have been killing loyalists that none of them has bothered to pick up some stormshields, thunderhammers, or assualt cannons. Heck, why not steal some speeders, whirlwinds, or razorbacks? It's not like CSM care about the Codex Astares. Or the Dark Adeptus refuse to use anything but standard construct vehicles. And even though they had drop pods before the heresy, afterwards, for some unknown reason, they refuse to use them? At least that is what the CSM codex would have you believe.

Chaos should definitly be into recycling their gear and scavanging. Fluff wise it makes perfect sense. Especially the Iron Warriors and Alpha Legion! But then we'd prolly have cries of unfair by the loyalist players :p

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Well, from a purely numbers point of view they must be producing more weapons and armour as there are currently roughly a million marines in the galaxy as opposed to
the smaller numbers of marines during the great crusade (though there were most likely at least two to three hundred thousand marines active during that era but probably less than half a million) and i doubt that each marine had a spare bolter and set of power armour just lying around.
There was likely to be well over half a million Astartes active during the Heresy.

The numbers fluctuate depending on which source material you refer to, but legions of 50,000-80,000 were common with the Ultramarines being suggested as totaling 250,000.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Chaos should definitly be into recycling their gear and scavanging. Fluff wise it makes perfect sense. Especially the Iron Warriors and Alpha Legion!
It would make sence and from a different propective it would make sense for chapters that have gone/go rogue to also have these. i do believe that most of the Tratior legions use some warp bastardization of a transporter but i may be wrong!

The Baron would be the best person to ask on that point he sees and knows all, or at least he said he dose

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
It would make sence and from a different propective it would make sense for chapters that have gone/go rogue to also have these. i do believe that most of the Tratior legions use some warp bastardization of a transporter but i may be wrong!

The Baron would be the best person to ask on that point he sees and knows all, or at least he said he dose
You're such a good little minion, I'm going to buy you a lollipop :gimmefive:

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
Human minions are for sissies. Cyborgs are where it's at. Lol

1 - 20 of 29 Posts