Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:angry: I've been playing a friend of mine who runs Vanilla Space Marines. And I've been running into a problem every game. He runs an extremely expensive Terminator Assualt Squad with a Space Marine Terminator Captain in a Land Raider Crusader, about 750 points altgoether. Honestly...they beat the hell out of me. I have no answer. We even set up the equivalent of what Chaos can run (Abby w/4 Termie Champs in the LR) just a little test battle to see how it would fair just against it. We found that if I get the charge and fire everything I have, including the LR weapons, after the assault, I win by 1. If he gets the jump, after the same assault, I lose all termies and even Abbadon sometimes. :mad: That unit ran about 700 points and it seems that unless it gets the charge, it's eventual suicide against his unit.

We talked about the only answer chaos have for this. I figure my best chance is to get 3 squads of 3 Oblits, and fire at them until the LR is popped. Then run in a rhino with some Marines to make him charge them....and THEN have my LR with Abby charge in. Or I could run a squad of raptors with Melta and try a suicide jump.

I'm at a loss...I dont have 9 oblits, so I've yet to try that method. I also have no raptors, so haven't tried that either. I had 5 chosen in a rhino come on the board and bust a predator...but his Land Raider cam next turn and demolished them.

How does Chaos counter these kinds of "Epic" sqauds? :ireful2:

·
Registered
594 Posts
you could load up a few squads of Havocs with
lascannons and try to pop his LR. Thats the first thing that comes to mind if you dont have any Oblits at hand.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Suicide melta squads to pop the LR (or lucky Oblit shots, but I don't count on lascannons to pop LRs), Lash Prince to lash the squad away so they never reach any of your squads, and Oblits to plasma them to death.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Lots of ways to deal with those guys. 2 winged Tzeentch Daemon Princes will make a complete mess of them. With Warptime, Wind of Chaos, and 4+ inv save along with Init 5 and WS 7 plus S 6 they will chew through them like nothing. Use Warptime, then Wind them, reroll all your fails to wound. He has to use his invul save. Next assualt him. Reroll all your fails to hit. Then all your fails to wound. Again he only gets his invul save. 1 Prince would prolly kill them all but 2 guarntees it. This is only a lil over 1/2 the cost of his unit.

How about your own squad of termies with the Icon of Slaanesh and pairs of lightning claws in a Raider? Even if he charges you, with your guys having Init 5, you go first! Plus rerolling all your fails to wound and him having to use his invul save of 5+ he's screwed. Make all your guys champs and it gets even uglier. If Abbadon is in there he's got absolutely no hope. Heck, a Khorne Lord with Terminator armour and Bloodfeeder could kill his whole squad!

Putting a simple combi-melta on top of a Rhino and filling it with Berzerkers will scare him too. You pop the Raider with the rhino and charge his guys hitting on 3s. Wounding on 3s. You go first at Init 5. Oh yeah, and over 30 attacks out of 8 guys! He's rolling some 1s for sure. And this isn't even 1/2 the cost of his unit. You could use 2 of these units and lose them both and still come out ahead points wise.

Oblits aren't the be all and end all when it comes to taking out ugly units. Doing a drive by in a rhino with a squad with 2 meltas will be the end of the raider.

Lots of options. Don't get frustrated. There is no unbeatable unit in 40K.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Suicide melta squads to pop the LR (or lucky Oblit shots, but I don't count on lascannons to pop LRs), Lash Prince to lash the squad away so they never reach any of your squads, and Oblits to plasma them to death.
I've thought about this tactic until I realized Lash only works on non-vehicle units.

Death, I do have some Havoc laying around somewhere...I might give them a try next go around.

Uilleam, thanks for the advice...lots of things I never thought about. I like that idea about the Unit of termies with MoS and LCs...that sounds deadly. I did have 2 MoT Princes in todays fight...and he got the charge on one, and it was annihilated...I didn't take out any of his guys because he allocated the 2 wounds I made on his TH/SS Temies with 3+ saves and made both saves. If my second prince was rolling on that side of the board I think it might have changed things...I did have 2 squads of 8 Zerkers behind the first prince...and 1 squad assaulted the Termies with their 30+ attacks and took out 2 termies...but the other squad was shot up before my turn came.

I do like the advice...I'll definitely have to try some of these ideas next go around. Its just frustrating when ever since he began using this unit...I have no answer. But I guess that's the glory of 40k...the never ending chess game. :grin:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts