Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently came into possession of the old chaos space marine battle, which has 5 posessed, three bikers, a rhino and a squad of chaos marines. I also have the dark vengeance set available, but I'm really not familiar with how to run CSMs. Traditionally I play normal marines and they work quite well but I'm not sure about chaos marines and the best way to run them, I have the codex but I don't know where to start. I was wondering if I could get tips on how to put what I have to use rather than taking the squads at face value.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
I would say wait for a few weeks, with the change to 7th edition, many things in terms of list building for any army could change.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I recently came into possession of the old chaos space marine battle, which has 5 posessed, three bikers, a rhino and a squad of chaos marines. I also have the dark vengeance set available, but I'm really not familiar with how to run CSMs. Traditionally I play normal marines and they work quite well but I'm not sure about chaos marines and the best way to run them, I have the codex but I don't know where to start. I was wondering if I could get tips on how to put what I have to use rather than taking the squads at face value.
I got this as a 1000pts list, assuming WYSIWYG is at a fairly tight level:

Chaos Lord with Mark of Nurgle, Sigil of Corruption, Power Sword and Burning Brand of Skalathrax

Helbrute with Multi-Melta

10 Chaos Space Marines with Bolters, 2 Plasma Guns, Power Axe, Veterans of the Long War and Mark of Nurgle
9 Chaos Space Marines with Bolters, Bolt Pistols and Close Combat Weapons, 2 Meltaguns, Power Fist, and Mark of Nurgle
10 Cultists with Autoguns, Heavy Stubber and Mark of Nurgle
10 Cultists with Autopistols, Flamer and Mark of Nurgle

3 Chaos Bikers with Mark of Nurgle and 2 Meltaguns

This list is pretty simply - the squad in the Rhino speeds forwards to burn people with the Burning Brand or pop a big tank if applicable, while the other squad moves into the midfield to score objectives and lay down covering fire. The Cultist squads try not to get killed too much and take objectives in the back and mid field. The Bikes and Helbrute rove around as mobile anti-tank (while the Helbrute is slow, it has a Relentless Multi-Melta which results in quite a long threat range).

This list does require a bit of conversion, but that should be ok - Possessed are, in all honesty, a pretty awful choice for most any list, but they make kick-ass mutated Chaos Space Marines, so I'd simply sprinkle the Possessed bits in amongst your regular dudes to make 15 CSM. You get two Chosen with Boltguns, and then two with the special weapons you need for the Champions, so you'd end up with 19 dudes to make the units with.

Go forth, and spill the blood of humanity's armies across the stars! Death to the False Emperor!

EDIT: Also, what scscofield said.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I got this as a 1000pts list, assuming WYSIWYG is at a fairly tight level:

Chaos Lord with Mark of Nurgle, Sigil of Corruption, Power Sword and Burning Brand of Skalathrax

Helbrute with Multi-Melta

10 Chaos Space Marines with Bolters, 2 Plasma Guns, Power Axe, Veterans of the Long War and Mark of Nurgle
9 Chaos Space Marines with Bolters, Bolt Pistols and Close Combat Weapons, 2 Meltaguns, Power Fist, and Mark of Nurgle
10 Cultists with Autoguns, Heavy Stubber and Mark of Nurgle
10 Cultists with Autopistols, Flamer and Mark of Nurgle

3 Chaos Bikers with Mark of Nurgle and 2 Meltaguns

This list is pretty simply - the squad in the Rhino speeds forwards to burn people with the Burning Brand or pop a big tank if applicable, while the other squad moves into the midfield to score objectives and lay down covering fire. The Cultist squads try not to get killed too much and take objectives in the back and mid field. The Bikes and Helbrute rove around as mobile anti-tank (while the Helbrute is slow, it has a Relentless Multi-Melta which results in quite a long threat range).

This list does require a bit of conversion, but that should be ok - Possessed are, in all honesty, a pretty awful choice for most any list, but they make kick-ass mutated Chaos Space Marines, so I'd simply sprinkle the Possessed bits in amongst your regular dudes to make 15 CSM. You get two Chosen with Boltguns, and then two with the special weapons you need for the Champions, so you'd end up with 19 dudes to make the units with.

Go forth, and spill the blood of humanity's armies across the stars! Death to the False Emperor!

EDIT: Also, what scscofield said.
That's awesome thanks, do you think there would be a better weapon layout option for the hellbrute if possible or would you still go with that?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
If you have the bits available for a conversion, the Reaper Autocannon and Twin-Linked Lascannon are both perfectly reasonable choices, although the Multi-Melta is still nice being as it's so restricted in the Chaos codex.

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
Get two more DV versions off eBay and do the data slate formation that has them deep strike

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I'd use Crimson slaughter and go with:

Chaos Lord, MoK, Daemonheart, Sword of relentless, sigils of corruption
Chaos Sorceror (using DA sorc) sigils of corr, balestar of mannon

10 Marines, 2 plasmaguns, rhino, icon of vengeance

5 possessed, MoK

Helcult Formation:
Helbrute (as stock)
10 cultist, flamer
10 cultists, 8 autogun, flamer

·
JUGGERNUT
2,558 Posts
Get two more DV versions off eBay and do the data slate formation that has them deep strike
Yes, completely agree. That formation makes Helbrutes very useful, suddenly. I'd run 'em with default equipment, myself.
@Nepherhet also has a good idea with the Helcult formation. Might as well make the fodder fearless.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Was just wondering if I have to drop a unit to 9 to make room for the lord in the rhino then that means the unit can only have one special weapon right? Also i tend to face dark eldar a lot, so they have quite a bit of poisoned weaponry, do you think it's best if I go for a different mark for squads?

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Was just wondering if I have to drop a unit to 9 to make room for the lord in the rhino then that means the unit can only have one special weapon right? Also i tend to face dark eldar a lot, so they have quite a bit of poisoned weaponry, do you think it's best if I go for a different mark for squads?
Yes, only one Special Weapon in the 9-man unit but they have the Burning Brand from the Lord, which is pretty spectacular.

Against Dark Eldar, I'm not sure which Mark I'd go for. Nurgle is pretty irrelevant against Splinter, although it can help you out against Disintegrators (does anyone ever take them though?), Khorne and Slaanesh seems a bit overkill, and Tzeentch again is wasted as DE rely more on weight of shots than on low AP. I think it depends - if you're fighting mostly/pure Kabalites, Trueborns etc. then perhaps leave out the Mark and go for more dudes, but if you're fighting a melee army then go with Khorne so you can push through attacks (Slaanesh will be pointless as Wyches/Incubi are I6 - but if it's a Coven army, bringing the Mark of Slaanesh will really put a dent in them as you'll strike first and hard). If you can afford Icons, then Slaanesh will definitely serve you most well against Dark Eldar as they'll likely be trying to push a lot of shots through your armour save rather than anything else.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Yes, only one Special Weapon in the 9-man unit but they have the Burning Brand from the Lord, which is pretty spectacular.

Against Dark Eldar, I'm not sure which Mark I'd go for. Nurgle is pretty irrelevant against Splinter, although it can help you out against Disintegrators (does anyone ever take them though?), Khorne and Slaanesh seems a bit overkill, and Tzeentch again is wasted as DE rely more on weight of shots than on low AP. I think it depends - if you're fighting mostly/pure Kabalites, Trueborns etc. then perhaps leave out the Mark and go for more dudes, but if you're fighting a melee army then go with Khorne so you can push through attacks (Slaanesh will be pointless as Wyches/Incubi are I6 - but if it's a Coven army, bringing the Mark of Slaanesh will really put a dent in them as you'll strike first and hard). If you can afford Icons, then Slaanesh will definitely serve you most well against Dark Eldar as they'll likely be trying to push a lot of shots through your armour save rather than anything else.
He tends to have a lot of warriors mounted in raiders and venoms a long with jetbikes and some ravagers, sometimes has a small squad of wracks, incubi and wyches in venoms to.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
I'd be quite tempted to roll Slaanesh with the Icon of Excess, although it is *very* expensive. If you have literally no more models, go for Slaanesh, but if you can add more dudes, go for more dudes.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts