Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7,003 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, SMs are already catered for loads but realisticly what do you think could be the large model for an apocalypse size Space Marine army, excluding aircraft?

·
Registered
967 Posts
The two things I've heard most about are a special droppod, able to drop tanks, even Land Raiders.

The other is a walker, but that wouldn't fit the Space Marines.

Question is, what will the BA get? They can already deepstrikeLand Raiders. Will they use the drop pod/lander for other tanks, or will they get something special themselves?

·
nice boy, daft though !
10,212 Posts
Some form of large land raider format tank, would have said spartan in plastic, but seems unlikely with the release of the Forgeworld version. Personally i would never rule out the thunderhawk or something inbetween the storm raven and the thunderhawk.

though to be honest i would rather expect a "imperial" kit that can be used by pretty much anyone than one kit specifically designed for marines, plastic warhound would make the most sense and would be a great seller and would be easy to do as they could just plunder the FW one, then FW could do ungrade or pimp up kits for it.

this is assuming that marines get a kit, the last time around only the guard got a super heavy, and then guard and orks got them with the second wave,rest of us were left with the FW option.

word of warning folks place your forgeworld orders now, because when the book lands it could be months before you get your new shiney superheavy if last time was anything to go by

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
I'd like an super contemptor dread, not huge though, still on a 60mm base make it taller like the decimator engine and give the profile a boost and some awesome short mid range firepower like a rapid firing las cannon or something and better atomantic shielding, the fluff for it could be that during the heresy as the spacemarines lacked their own titans that they had to make uber dreadnoughts that when used in numbers could take on the more numerous smaller enemy titans, so still small enough to drop pod in. But no special chapter versions have it built as a dedicated close to mid range anti armor fire support unit.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Nothing. The Space Marines' way of war doesn't benefit from using huge war machines as the Titan Legions and Imperial Guard fulfil that role in a far greater capacity. Space Marines are themselves an elite detachment, not line troops, so outside of Thunderhawks I can only really see Stormbirds and orbital support as viable options.

Midnight

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Nothing. The Space Marines' way of war doesn't benefit from using huge war machines as the Titan Legions and Imperial Guard fulfil that role in a far greater capacity. Space Marines are themselves an elite detachment, not line troops, so outside of Thunderhawks I can only really see Stormbirds and orbital support as viable options.
This. Space Marines don't, or rather can't, fight standard wars like Guardsmen. I read somewhere that the Imperial Guard are the hammer and anvil of The Emperor, and the Space Marines are the scalpel. They're made for fast and hard hitting actions that devastate their enemy with as little troop commitment as possible. The Land Raider and Thunderhawk are as big as the Marines need. Giving them their own giant unit would be a really stupid move in my opinion. Now doing it for the Space Marine legions is much more believable.

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
None.

But knowing GW we will get some retarded titan sized Dreadnought. :(

Time to switch army to Sisters.. At least they wont be getting any retarded mini titan walker piece of shits.

·
Premium Member
12,830 Posts

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
A thunderhawk seems the logical conclusion for SMs. As said previous, super heavy tanks or walkers just don't fit their style of warfare. If they need heavy ground support, titans and IG will be there to handle it.

What I'd really like to see are some knight titans. With what we've seen in recent and forthcoming releases like the riptide and wraight knight, GW are more than capable of producing them.

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
A large model is not against the spacemarine way of war so long as it is not too big, the spacemarines used to operate in large numbers and with super heavies and then adapted to the surgical strikes after the heresy when the legions got broken up into chapters. Surely it would not be too much of a stretch fluff wise that the marines would still have sum in storage to be pulled out in dire times so long as they keep it on a 60mm base if its a walker

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
The whole point of the Codex Astartes after the Heresy was so that the Space Marines could not act as an army unto themselves. In BFG this translated to only having access to Barges and Strike Cruisers, which were purposed specifically for their role in Bombardment and deploying Gunships. In 40k, this is why they only have small armor, or land raiders. Dreadnoughts, of course, are Marines in Sarcophagi. You can't give them some super walker, because that would be giving them things that the IG and the AdMech already have, and therefore breaks the Codex Astartes.

The Thunderhawk makes the most sense, giving them the dropship they've always wanted. The other option, on Apoc scale, would be to refine the Lance Strike bombardment; you don't need a model (which is why GW would never do this, nothing to sell) because it's just dropping an Apoc blast.

If I was being forced to pick something as an SM choice for Apoc, I'd still side with either the Thunderhawk, or the Thunderhawk Transporter.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
A large model is not against the spacemarine way of war so long as it is not too big, the spacemarines used to operate in large numbers and with super heavies and then adapted to the surgical strikes after the heresy when the legions got broken up into chapters. Surely it would not be too much of a stretch fluff wise that the marines would still have sum in storage to be pulled out in dire times so long as they keep it on a 60mm base if its a walker
It's not a stretch that they might have a fellblade in mothballs, but that is just a modified baneblade left over from preHeresy time. They shouldn't have a new SM specific superheavy though. I think SM players would be happy enough with a plastic TH.

·
Closet Dictator
3,413 Posts
Damn your souls to Hades, I want a taller dread I'm only 5'8" and a very important bit and live my fantasy tall mans life through my models!! Ok just boost the regular contemptor to a contemptor maximus pattern or something. Personally though I do not want to see any riptide sized model for the marines and lets face it even if I had the cash I would not get a thunderhawk, not really a table top model i.m.o, hell the only marine flyer I would get would be the land speeder tempest or convert a regular speeder to a tempest, I don't care how good they are on the battle field I think the marine flyers are the ugliest models and I will not buy them

1 - 16 of 16 Posts