Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started this thread becuase I've been getting into all this great tactical stuff, and yet all I see is tactics about the board game. I started this up to talk about anyt actics that would and can be used in the real warhammer 40k battlfield.

From landing troops to space battles to ork WWAAAGGHHHs, from massive tank charges to sieges to battles fought by the God machines of every faction. Bullets flying, how do your troops aviod being hit, how do your Eldar fight in space, how tough is space marine armor?? All these questions and more will be answered here, so please share your thoughts on how people would fight on the real 40k universe battlefields.:victory:

·
Registered
172 Posts
Personally i think that most real tactics would be broken by the inabillity to set up some suppressive fire and the movement phase without being shot at isn't to common on a battlefield.
The lack of instant return of fire at for instance a charging group of ork boys is also hard to translate to a real battlefield.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
But thats why I started this guys. Most of you are still thinking in the game terms. "Phases, rules, they mean nothing here. I want to start a discussion on real battle.

Imagine a battlefield, maybe one you've seen in a movie or video game and then imagine how real people would fight upon in the 41st millenia.

For example, I personally think on a real battlefield that Gaurdsmen would be a hell of alot more effective with full auto fire rifles. Or maybe if they used line volley tactics, esepcially against orks.

Stuff like that guys

·
Registered
388 Posts
Well, for your example with the charging Ork boyz, I think one thing they might do is set up barricades using something similar to those explosive-tipped spears used by Rough Riders. Set those up in front of the guardsmen, maybe nudge them with your foot toward an oncoming Ork, watch the first line explode, then lasgun the ones behind him while they're confused by the sudden explosion that just happened in their face.

Also on a real battlefield I think Daemons would be a lot more effective. The ability to appear out of nowhere roughly anywhere you want would probably win them any battle. Unless there's a big Terminator-esque lightshow just before it happens (probably represented by them not being able to assault on the turn they arrive in game terms) in which case they would probably die, because that starts up, everyone surrounds it, the Daemons appear, and then the Daemons take lasgun or bolter crossfire and die.

·
Premium Member
2,422 Posts
In real battle, there are no rough riders, every guard unit fights from five foot trenches and there is a far greater proliferation of heavy automatic weapons. Praetorian Guard units die within hours and cadians and krieg fight smart. Catachans win. Always. Spaceports become the single most vital planetary installation. Space marines don't get up and stike dramatic poses with their power swords, they fight fast and hard using teams to coordinate strikes on enemies in space stations, installations and hives where heavy firepower can't be used against them. Veteran Sergeants wear helmets, and call airstrikes if anyone even mentions plasma weaponry.

·
Registered
165 Posts
This might end up being a discussion on 'tactics', but it's really a fluff discussion because it has nothing to do with the mechanics of the game. And seriously, let me tell you how 95% of conflicts in the 41st millennium go; the tyranids show up on a planet with 95,000 points of units, at least a little bit of everything, and then the Imperial Guard show up with more tactical nuclear missiles than they know what to do with and roughly 250,000 points worth of units, again with a mixture of units that no one would ever play in a game, and just blast that tendril of the Hive Fleet into non-existence.

What I'm saying is that 19/20 conflicts in the 41m are completely one sided and unfair. Tactics aren't even required as one side uses it's superior numbers and position to just wipe out the opponent. The 1/20 conflicts that are actually interesting and involve maneuvering and roughly equally sized forces, are the ones in the book fluff.

·
Registered
378 Posts
The tactics for the Eldar would mostly be to not do the fighting themselves and use trickery or psychic powers to make other factions like the imperial guard, orks or PDFs do their fighting for them. But when they do have to get their hands messy they do it fast and very hard.

Bit in the book path of the warrior where they are getting an artefact from a complex or something and they basically open webway portals nearby and flood the place with aspect warriors.

And looking at the course of an eldar invasion of a planet sometimes just looks like mr messy. Alot of it it hink is to do with using overwelming force to split the opposing force into smaller chunks and deal with them seperately.

I agree with TimberWolfA that 19/20 fights are extremely one sided.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
Hahahaha, timberwolfa, good one. But you may be right, however, its about tactics, so i thought this would be the place for it

Also, tyranids don't just show up and kill everything everywhere, so I have to disagree here. Alot of people would be meatgrinded if we fought every battle with them.

And space amrines strike poses. Don't ya know, they gotta compete with the Gaurd boys for the ladies, hahahaha.

Anyway, anyone got any ideas on the Necrons, would they actually use tactics or would they just advance until all are dead. How would the Necrons fair against the Tyranids

·
Registered
388 Posts
Space Marines don't need to compete. They just show up and the ladies go "Guardmen? What guardmen?"

I think Necrons would still use tactics. They're not mindless per say. They're... complicated.

And while I don't think Tyranids would necessarily win every battle all the time, they would have a much greater advantage in real life just due to the nature of what they are. With how fast they can reproduce and how thoroughly they can wipe out a planet, along with the fact that they're not only a horde, but a horde capable of fighting smart... so basically unless everyone else banded together to try and hold them back, they would probably just roflstomp most of the galaxy.

Necrons vs Tyranids... Imperium wins. That's definitely the time for an Exterminatus I think ;-) Honestly though, it would depend on who controls the planet first. Tyranids generally ignore Necron worlds because there's no biomass for them to consume, so the only way they would really come into conflict is if a Tyranid invasion awakens dormant Necrons, in which case there would probably be at least one other faction involved, at least until they're wiped out.

Oh... and I don't think Dark Eldar would do a lot of fighting. Since they only really leave Commorragh for victims, I suspect they would probably just raid civilian towns instead of actually trying to engage actual armies.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts