Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello!

My name is Mike and I am new to the game. After reading the CSM Codex my two sons, ages 8 “Matthew” and 6 “Erik”, and I are leaning towards a Night Lords and or Word Bearers Army.

I think that the Word Bearers would be easier to get up and going first. After a lot of reading on the Internet the Night Lords are for more experienced players. It was a fight though. I had to suppress the Nurgle troops because of Mom. We, the Guys, thought them cool but Mom saw them in a different light. Oh well!

We are here to learn and have our tactical minds molded by those with the experience of a millennium of war.

We are looking to get our army on a playing table soon and are in the process of collecting and painting. Any and all help in a 500, 1000 point starter army for either the Word Bearers or Night Lords would be appreciated.

Thank you all,

Archangel57

AKA Mike, Matthew, and Erik

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Heya. Welcome to the forums.

If you're reading the 4th edition CSM codex (the current edition), you'll find that there is no difference except painting scheme and fluff between any chaos factions. That being said, I think that night lords have a cooler scheme if you leave off the bat wing helmets. So first off, make sure you're using the 4e codex (which has no specific factions rules) instead of the 3e codex (which does).

Other than that, make sure you've got a balance of anti-infantry and anti-tank weaponry. Powerfists on your squad leaders is usually a good idea. The average CSM is a pretty good all-rounder, though the other troops choices available to you aren't bad either. Powerfists on your independent characters aren't very good because they can be targeted separately, lightning claws or force weapons are usually better for them so they can use their high initiative.

The chaos dreadnoughts aren't really worth it, due to the randomness of the crazy rules.

Buy and read the core rulebook as well, from the beginning til the fluff, it all comes up.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you but with some questions...

That was my thinking. The color scheme is what attracted my boys to the Night Lords.

I have read the 4th ed Codex and am wondering why all the armies are becoming so vanilla. After reading some old post on the net it seems that the Traitor Legions all had their own style of play.

Oh well.

Night Lords it is. I’ll save the bat wing helmets for the AC’s

Thanks for the information. We can start putting together our HQ and Troops.

Question… Why use Power Fists and not another Power Weapon? And is the addition of plasma pistols or guns to a squad a good idea against Infantry?

What is better against Arty, Havocs, Raptors, Oblits. or ?

Thank you in advance for you help,

Archangel57

1 - 6 of 6 Posts