Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
One big loss from the new GK book was the loss of individual unique psychic powers for squads. Cleansing Flame got better for Purifiers, for sure, but the loss of Psychic Pilot and stuff like Reconstruction on Techmarines, combined with the loss of Psybolt Ammunition on the regular dudes (and to a lesser extent, on vehicles - it should have stayed with a price increase, ideally), did a lot to take the 'elite' feel out the book in my view. So, without further ado: GK psychic powers.

Quicksilver: Warp Charge 2
Brotherhood Champion, Castellan Crowe
Protected by their blessed Aegis suits and their own indomitable spirit, the Grey Knights skim the surface of the warp in a microcosm of warp travel, allowing them to move faster than the eye can readily follow and strike a flurry of blows before the foe can even raise his guard.
This is a Blessing that affects the Psyker and his unit. While this power is in effect, the unit gains +1 Initiative and the Fleet special rule. In addition, if a model under the effect of Quicksilver directs his close combat attacks at a unit with a lower majority Initiative than his own Initiative value, he may re-roll failed To Hit rolls.

Not sure on the wording of the re-rolling to Hit element, but I think it's fairly clear what the intent was even if it's not perfect RAW. Psuedo-always strikes first from Fantasy.

Might of Titan: Warp Charge 1
Brother-Captain, Grand Master, Kaldor Draigo, Brother-Captain Stern - the Special Characters have it added to their list of Powers that they know, while a Brother-Captain or Grand Master may choose to take Might of Titan. If he does so, he does not benefit from the Psychic Focus special rule.
By focussing their formidable will, the lords of the Grey Knights can deliver blows that pulverise ceramite and shatter plasteel like glass.
This is a Blessing that effects the Psyker. While the power is in effect, the psyker gains the Smash special rule.
It's only on one dude so I don't think it's a *huge* thing; although a Grand Master with Falchions can have 6 Str6 AP2 attacks with Instant Death with Force, Hammerhand and Might all up, that's a lot of powers to make yourself that nasty. You also have to give up a free Primaris on Telepathy/Divination.

Reconstruction: Warp Charge 1
Techmarine
The Techmarine seamlessly blends the lore of Titan and Mars, healing wounded machines with expertly precise telekinetic bursts.
This is a Blessing that targets a friendly vehicle within 12". While the power is in effect, the Techmarine is treated as being in base-to-base contact with the vehicle for the purposes of the Blessing of the Omnissiah special rule.

I was thinking about just resurrecting the original Reconstruction power, but I thought the whole Magneto/Dr. Manhattan repairing/building structures with his mind was a cooler effect so I went for that.

Astral Aim: Warp Charge 1
Purgation Squad
Mundane obstacles offer scant cover to the blessed fusillades of the Purgators, bullets and blasts making the most impossible shots with unerring accuracy.
This is a Blessing that targets the psyker's unit. While the power is in effect, all shooting attacks fired by the Purgators may be fired at targets out of the squad's Line of Sight.

I was originally going to go with Ignores Cover as I thought it made more sense than magic bullets that can go around/through buildings, but that is completely useless for Incinerators and has a danger of being a little too strong for Psycannons. There's still the issue of Purgators with Incinerators being left out in the cold. Alternative ideas were adding range to the guns, granting Skyfire, or Twin Linking, but I'm happiest with the Homing idea, even if it's not perfect.

Fortitude: Warp Charge 1
Stormraven Gunship, Land Raider/LRC/LRR
The mightiest war machines of the Grey Knights are inscribed with intricate pentagrams and holy wards that allow the pilot to psychically wrest control of the machine's workings in the event of system failure.
This is a Blessing that targets the psyker. While the power is in effect, the vehicle ignores Crew Shaken and Crew Stunned results.

Same again - not quite as relevant now that Shaken and Stunned are more rare, but since Shaken and Stunned are more damaging for the 200pt+ Stormraven/Land Raider, I think it's worth having. Not available to Rhinos/Razorbacks purely because I didn't want them to have Psychic Pilot and generate Warp Charge (I'm sure there'd be a way to abuse it, so I avoided it.)

Excommunicate: Warp Charge 3
Grand Master, Kaldor Draigo - add to list of Psychic Powers known in both cases
The ruling council of Titan reserve the ultimate sanction for their most abhorred foes; Excommunicate. This grim edict pronounces the heretic as an obstacle to the rule of the Golden Throne and an defiance of the Emperor's divinity. In His name, His chosen paladins will stop at nothing to eradicate the chosen target from creation in both the physical and immaterial realms.
This is a Malediction that targets a single enemy unit within 12". While this power is in effect, the chosen unit gains the Daemon special rule. If the psyker attempts and fails to cast this psychic power, the power may not be cast again by any friendly Psyker for the rest of the game.

It annoys me how every Grey Knight unit has Banishment and it almost never gets to use it. This power basically picks an enemy unit and makes it an eligible target for Daemonbane, Preferred Enemy and Banishment, which I thought was a sufficiently powerful effect to be Warp Charge 3 with an extra caveat that you can't cast it again if you fail it. If anything, it might be a little on the too powerful side, so feedback would be great for this one.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I love the idea, and they are fairly representative off the fluff. I really like your proposed reconstruction!

It would be nice for brotherhood champions to have something to make them worthwhile, although I still think that a points drop in the new codex (too expensive at the moment in comparison to a Captain) and moving them to a Non-FOC slot (ie: take a HQ and you can take a brotherhood champion as a bodyguard)

Not sure about Excommunicate thought. WC3 to give the opponent an Invun save? Even if it gives you preferred enemy, you then still have to successfully get banishment off to start reducing their save.

·
Rattlehead
6,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I love the idea, and they are fairly representative off the fluff. I really like your proposed reconstruction!
I thought it was a cool mental image, certainly.

It would be nice for brotherhood champions to have something to make them worthwhile, although I still think that a points drop in the new codex (too expensive at the moment in comparison to a Captain) and moving them to a Non-FOC slot (ie: take a HQ and you can take a brotherhood champion as a bodyguard)
A points drop would help, and being less challenge-focussed (yes, GW, I get it that they're the guys who go and fight the duels so the Captains and Grand Masters can get on with commanding, but that's too niche for them to do just that). Maybe have them as the pure fighty dudes and make the Brother-Captain/Grand Master more command-focussed? Something similar to old Grand Strategy? I might even do a Grey Knight fandex, the Dark Angel one was a while ago and GK don't need nearly as much work.

Not sure about Excommunicate thought. WC3 to give the opponent an Invun save? Even if it gives you preferred enemy, you then still have to successfully get banishment off to start reducing their save.
At warp charge 3 with the risk of losing the power, you're only going to cast it on something that needs it which is generally going to have an invulnerable already - you can put it onto Terminators or Warlocks, for example, and it only gives them Fear while giving your whole army re-rolls of 1 to hit and wound against them plus the possibility for Banishment to reduce their existing Invulns in the case of Storm Shields/Rune Armour etc. It's not really designed for killing Guardians or Guardsmen.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts