Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
re: Favoured/Hated Scenarios

I was thinking this morning about 40K scenarios and wondered if folks had ones they liked or loathed and why.

For me I really enjoy playing most of them, I like to play story based campaigns and interlinked scenarios so that helps. Favorites would probably be..

Blitz - always really hard fought close games in my experience, although pretty tough on foot slogging armies when they are attacking. and the deployment zone is a nightmare for horde armies.

Ambush - the defender in this has such an uphill struggle even when playing as the attacker I can help but want the underdog to win. Tough to escape against a horde army too as they can fill the escape edge and mob the escaping units.

Patrol - seems to promote a good ebb and flow with the army turning up so randomly.

Sabotage - the desperate defence that I have seen in these games really stirs the imagination.

The only one I don't like is Recon, bring up too many bad memories of the old 2nd Ed Dawn Raid mission for me. Completely unfounded but there all the same.

So what about the rest of you?

·
Premium Member
2,648 Posts
I like escalation missions, though everyone else in my gaming group seems to really dislike them. Playing primarily IG and Eldar, and lately a bit of Tzeentchi Chaos, I get a kick out of just how interesting these games can be. And while the first turn is usually not as exciting as would normally be the case, the subsequent turns more than make up for it. The biggest issue with these scenarios is to get players to understand that they should expect one every once in a while and to ensure that their list is flexible enough to prevent total ownage because they just were not prepared.

Anything with a first turn night fight is cool, too. In many match-ups, it kinda evens up the odds so the person going first does not have such a huge advantage. In other match-ups, it really sucks, as it will give an uber-combat oriented army a bit of an advantage, but I'm willing to duke it out all the same.

What's the name of the mission that requires the victor to claim a single central objective? That mission has got to be the most exciting and usually most balanced mission in the books, no matter the A/G/O level being played. Shooty armies HAVE to move, while combat armies are really tempted to slow down and hold that objective. Consideration of each unit's move/fire/assault options are critical to mission success, even from the first turn.

·
Registered
372 Posts
Meat Grinder, isn't it?

I haven't played 40K with missions yet, so I can't really talk with much authority. there is one mission where you have to annihilate every single model in the opponent's army, and if you don't they win, even if it's a single Grot or whatever; that one seems awfully unfair, although I suppose that's the point.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hespithe - The centre of the table scenario is Take and Hold. I agree its good fun, I find a lot of combat armies either play that in waves so the first wave charges whilst the second wave sits on the objective or charges in and drops back onto the objective after.

Kel - Yup Meatgrinder is the one where you have to wipe out your opponent . Pathfinders are the bane for me in this one for me sitting in cover right out the way. Like the 2nd Ed Tyranid Attack mission

The night fighting rules are great, try the night fight scenario if you like that rule. The very idea of trying to combat the Tyranids or Dark Eldar in the dead of night as my Guard is scary.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is the expanded scenario table I use. Page reference is for the BGB, I have included race specific as the recent BA codex had a special mission in the back as does the DE one (both opponents I play regularly). Hope you enjoy. :D

Scenario Table

D20 Roll - Scenario - Page Reference
1 - Strategy Roll, winner chooses - 80
2 - Race Specific (Strategy roll if both/neither have one, winner chooses)
3 - Cleanse - 81
4 - Secure & Control - 82
5 - Seek & Destroy - 82
6 - Recon - 83
7 - Take & Hold - 83
8 - Rescue - 190
9 - Night Fight - 191
10 - Patrol - 191
11 - Bunker Assault - 194
12 - Hold at all costs - 195
13 - Meat Grinder - 195
14 - Sabotage - 206
15 - Ambush - 206
16 - Strongpoint Attack - 207
17 - Rearguard - 212
18 - Blitz - 213
19 - Breakout - 213
20 - Strategy Roll, winner chooses - 80

Determine Level (Not required for all scenrios obviously)

D3 Roll - Game Level
1 - Alpha
2 - Gamma
3 - Omega

·
Registered
372 Posts
stormshroud said:
Kel - Yup Meatgrinder is the one where you have to wipe out your opponent . Pathfinders are the bane for me in this one for me sitting in cover right out the way. Like the 2nd Ed Tyranid Attack mission.
Ah, I got them all confused! :) I don't think I've seen a Meatgrinder battle report where the attacker has won. It'll be my ambition once I start playing again!

I wish they'd put the race-specific/tournament/etc missions online, as I'm sure there are people who'd like to play the mission without necessarily owning the army it's based on, or going to the event at which it was played. Still, I suppose it means they can sell a "Battle Book" sometime down the line.

Edit: You know what? Even though it's the edition I played the most (and I played it a lot), I have almost no memory of playing missions under 2nd Ed! I don't know if it's because we never used them, or if the missions themselves were less memorable than standard battles, but I can't recall them at all!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Well the only army I've played for the last 6 months or so is my Death Guard. I have real issues with Recon, Ambush Defender and Break out Defender.
With the models I have available the only ones that aren't foot slogging infantry are one predator and a dreadnought... oh wait.. that's a foot slogger too!! I also don't use infiltrate as I consider it un-death gaurdy....

So especially on Ambush and Breakout, I rarely have enough turns to get any units of the board!! :cry: Ah well thems the breaks! :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I played against a white scars army once and was trying to stop him on breakout, was in the bar within 20 mins, was a 1900pt game as well!!!!!

·
Registered
372 Posts
Breakout is probably the only mission that my Genestealer Cult would do well in, and perhaps even win! :lol: An army made up of Genestealers and tanks is bound to do well in that situation.

·