Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought it would make an interesting read, I know you guys over in America arent big on the marvelous game:p(to scared to play without pads:p) but you gave us a lesson in the world cup so you may want to give your two cents.
Whats everyones prediction for this? England grandslam?(I hope!) A Welsh comeback? French revenge? Just post your thoughts:)

I personally think England will win though maybe not through a grand slam, letting themselves down in a arguably easier match against a team like Italy.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited by Moderator)
Yes rugby =] , The participating teams are england scotland wales ireland france and italy=] and we wear gumshields to protect our teeth=D work just as well.
Its like a European cup but basically all the big European teams as most don't have a team worth mentioning, not being harsh here but the teams listed above are the only ones truly in the professional era the other European teams are basically part time after work.
France won last year, beating Ireland on points difference.

For those of you who know English rugby, who do you thinks going to play wing I mean the volcanoe is being considered, David Strettle is a definite, Josh Lewsey and Mark Cueto are maybes and then theres Paul Sackey the surprise of the world cup.

Oh and RBS 6 Nations is the name of the upcoming tournament.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Got to say England after our last ditch performance in the World Cup but France may be out for for us.

For our cousins over the pond RBS stands for Royal Bank of Scotland who are the sponsors. It used to be 5 nations till Italy joined in (mainly because they were aussies) but its now becoming bigger world wide especially in the southern hemisphere. Got good teams in South America but the big players are still S Africa, New Zealand and Australia. As for hitting hard a back is a small player who runs and most of them are about 13 or 14 stone, hard hitting is the name of the game as well as pace. Game plays for 80 mins (40 mins a half) unlike American Football 60 mins in 3 hours. Plus now there are a lot of players joining the NFL from around the world with Rugby backgrounds. Still would'nt want to be hit by a football player though, they are seriously big dudes.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think Argentina should make the tri nations the quad nations lol as they're two far away for 6 nations. I also think there should be a cup for the teams which are tier 3 e.g USA eagles, Japan, Tonga, Samoa to name a few so they can have a annual competition to go to to test their mettle as a cup every 4 years isn't going to help them grow.

·
Registered
821 Posts
>> Scotland all the way. We goin to give ye all a big surprise by winning the Grand Slam and the whole competition.... Well, I can dream cant I. Honestly if its not Scotland, then anyone but England or France, or Italy. So either Wales Or Ireland.:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,588 Posts
England grandslam, we deserve it seeing WE WERE ROBBED AT THE WORLD CUP!!!
There is no way his foot was in touch the stupid remedial bastard of a third offical needs glasses a monkey in a bannana costume could have done a better job:angry:

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
As for hitting hard a back is a small player who runs and most of them are about 13 or 14 stone, hard hitting is the name of the game as well as pace. Game plays for 80 mins (40 mins a half) unlike American Football 60 mins in 3 hours. Plus now there are a lot of players joining the NFL from around the world with Rugby backgrounds. Still would'nt want to be hit by a football player though, they are seriously big dudes.
yes, we do tend toward the larger end of the scale :victory:

now, the topic of which sport involves harder hits has been quite the question at my college. the rugby team tends to talk smack about us football players, as we have an abysmal record. all smack-talk aside, i think the difference may be in the pads. they allow us to really lay into someone without breaking bones (most of the time....). that said, i think the net effect of getting hit by a rugby player w/o pads and a football player w/pads would be similar.

two side notes:

first off, i always wanted to try rugby, but never had the time :mad:

second, what's the conversion between stone and pounds? i've noticed weight being measured in stone for mma but never bothered to work out the conversion.

·
Registered
58 Posts
its something like 14 or 16lbs to a stone. Back to the topic of hitting in rugby you do a precise hit trying to get 1 on 1 so the game keeps moving if the ball is grounded you can keep going and the clock does not stop.

As for Argentina and Samoa, Fiji etc, the Pacific teams and most of that area (so for generalising) take part in in the Rugby 7's games (like full Rugby but a lot faster). Fiji I'm informed by a Fijian friend are very good at this style of Rugby and have won it several times. I don't know how often it is run but I'm sure 1 of the true Rugby fans on here can inform everyone.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
England grandslam, we deserve it seeing WE WERE ROBBED AT THE WORLD CUP!!!
There is no way his foot was in touch the stupid remedial bastard of a third offical needs glasses a monkey in a bannana costume could have done a better job:angry:

Yup I thought it was a tad bias having an Australian touch judge-.- He was in so in my mind we won the cup end of.

And yes Fiji are probably the best rugby 7's team in the world. They lost last year to Samoa in the final despite having not conceded a try until then. But rugby 7's is a completely different game to union as there are no backs and its all quick balls, which although exciting gains you very little experience in the rugby union world. I've not heard of Argentina being heavily involved in 7's. Their shock performance at the rwc was the talk of the town so to speak and it was strongly suggested they should join in one of the two major completions eg 6 nations or Tri nations, I personally think tri nations as it isn't just linked to Oceana/Australasia as South Africa are involved. Its a southern hemisphere game, its a southern hemisphere team, they should join=].

·
Registered
517 Posts
I have no idea what this thread is about, but one thing is for sure: Whoever wins, Canada loses.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts