Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

41 - 44 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
So I've decide to go with an Istvaan V look for my bases. I found a tutorial that says to use astrogranite as a base but I don't want to spend that much money for all my model's bases. Can someone tell me what color to use in place of astrogranite.

·
Registered
633 Posts
So I've decide to go with an Istvaan V look for my bases. I found a tutorial that says to use astrogranite as a base but I don't want to spend that much money for all my model's bases. Can someone tell me what color to use in place of astrogranite.
I went Istvaan V with these Salamanders.

I actually took a bag of low corse sand/rock I got from Michael's Craft Store and some smashed down egg shell. (Clean off all of the skin that lies directly under the shell) This gives a rocky shale type ground that I've always pictured Istvaan V as having.
Mixed the two together in a 2 to 1 (sand/shell) mix. To apply the basing mix, I put a bunch of super glue on the base and liberally covered it with the mixture.
Now painting it. I went with good ol' Chaos Black, then a drybrush of Mechanicus Standard Grey and followed by one more drybrush of Dawnstone. Lastly, a quick light wash of Nulin Oil to bring it all together. All of which you could do over the Astrogranite for a similar effect.
I liked the results and got a good Istvaan feel out of it.

Reactions: Iraqiel

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Thnx for the tip! I might try this or go with something a little bit brighter. Once again thnx.

·
Registered
633 Posts
Thnx for the tip! I might try this or go with something a little bit brighter. Once again thnx.
No problem. Can't wait to see what you make.

41 - 44 of 44 Posts