Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone!

I hope I'm doing this right.. still trying to understand how this whole formation detachment/formation thing works..

If I've made any mistakes tell me! And of course C&C is more than welcome :)

Basically the idea is to have an army of mostly +2/+3 rerollable Jinkers, which basically makes them better than Deathwing :D

Ravenwing Strike Force
------------------------------
HQ
Sammael on Sableclaw
Ravenwing Command Squad w/ 3 Black Knights & Apothecary

Fast Attack
Bike Squad w/ 2 Melta Guns and Veteran Sergeant
Bike Squad w/ 2 Flamers and Veteran Sergeant
Darkshroud
Darkshroud
Darkshroud

Ravenwing Attack Squadrons
--------------------------------
Bike Squad w/ 2 Grav Guns and Vet. Sergeant
Attack Bike w/ Multi-Melta
Land Speeder w/ Assault cannon

and then ah... No idea how to put him in since he doesn't have the Ravenwing rule even though he can take a bike? (I wish they said 'you can take a bike and replace the DW rule with the RW one' so I'm waiting for the errata/FAQ)

Librarian (Mastery Level 2) W/ Bike

I really want a Librarian in here because of the amazing Interromancy stuff!
Basically Mind Worm + Darkshroud + Jink + Apothecary = amazing :D

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
Hey everyone!

Ravenwing Strike Force
------------------------------
HQ
Sammael on Sableclaw
Ravenwing Command Squad w/ 3 Black Knights & Apothecary
Minor thing, but the Command Squads are now Elite slots. Since you get one Elite Slot, this is fine.

Fast Attack
Bike Squad w/ 2 Melta Guns and Veteran Sergeant
Bike Squad w/ 2 Flamers and Veteran Sergeant
Darkshroud
Darkshroud
Darkshroud
I don't understand the purpose of 3 Darkshrouds. I personally don't like them at all, and you can already reroll jinks, but at the same time there are so many options for ignore cover that this feels wasted.

These are strong. What I would recommend is switching at least one of the Darkshroud for maybe a Typhoon so you get some range. Then, if you feel like it, you can make the entire army modular (check out the list I posted recently). If you have 4 Speeders in the army, you can decide to use the RW Attack Squadrons, AND you can also use the Ravenwing Support Squadron with the Ravenshield rule and the improvements for their attacks.

and then ah... No idea how to put him in since he doesn't have the Ravenwing rule even though he can take a bike? (I wish they said 'you can take a bike and replace the DW rule with the RW one' so I'm waiting for the errata/FAQ)

Librarian (Mastery Level 2) W/ Bike

I really want a Librarian in here because of the amazing Interromancy stuff!
Basically Mind Worm + Darkshroud + Jink + Apothecary = amazing :D
At this point in time it's just not possible. It's the obligatory error that every codex must come out with; Sammael is the only HQ available for this army.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response! Your tips are much appreciated!

As for the modular thing.. It's not something I can do mid game right? I'd have to decide whether I'm going with the Assault or Support Squadron?

In this case if at one game I choose to go support, the Remainders of the assault squadron will just move to the detachment right?

Also I decided to take the command squad instead of the normal Black Knights because of the Apothecary.

Darkshrouds give you a higher jink save, no?

Cheers!

·
Registered
2,848 Posts
No, you couldnt' change mid game.

What I meant was this:

You currently have 5 Speeders in your army. 2 are standard 'gunships', 3 are Darkshrouds. As it stands now, 2 are assigned to RW Attack Squadrons.

You could also use 4 Speeders (3 'gunships' and either a Darkshroud or Vengeance) in a RW Support Squadron. That gives the Speeders Strafing Runs, Interceptor, AND that nifty Overwatch ability. Then the bikes/attack bikes just end up in the main detachment as Fast Attack squads. You just decide before each game which one would work better.

Darkshrouds give you (I think) Stealh + Shrouded, which means a 4+ cover save, and then Jinking improves it. The Darkshrouds don't stack, so while you COULD run more than one, that's only for board coverage, not to make them harder to see. 3 might be overkill.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts