Missile launcher

Fast Attack

75- Landspeeder
Typhoon missile launcher
Heavy bolter

70- Landspeeder
Multi-melta
heavy flamer

I know I only have two troop choices but with the combat squads, attack bikes and Landspeeders they are actually 6-8 extremely mobile fearless scoring units. The two dreadnoughts provide some good anti-tank. Sammael will be in his Landspeeder. Two more speeders in fa slot equals 5 total (2 scoring and one with av14). I hope to get whatever firepower where I need it fast while i boost and shoot around until i need to grab or contest an objective. Any comments or suggestions are more then welcome. Is it worth playing ravenwing or am I better off regular space marines.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Well, you are almost certainly better off with using the C:SM for a biker army. I'm afraid our poor DA codex just doesn't bring the same oomph the C:SM codex has. Still, we can perform aptly if used correctly.

To start, I would suggest you never use the Typhoon Missile Launcher with C:DA. It's only a single shot, whereas it has two in C:SM. Use MM/HF instead!

I would also look at maybe dropping the two dreadnoughts and maybe one of the land speeders in the attack squadrons for another bike squad.

Also, drop the banner on the bikesquad. You don't want to go into close combat. Ever. Therefore, you could also drop the 2 flamers and make them melta-guns. If you flame the opponent, you are to close! :)

Personally, I would drop the attack squad land speeders all together and went with another support squad MM/HF land speeder and another bike squad, giving you 3 bike squads, sammael, and 3 mm/hf speeders. I would also use Sammael in his Land Speeder.
His added weight of fire adds greatly to your army, with a guarranteed 4 assault cannon and 3 heavy bolter shots (BS5 and twin linked is almost a certainty). He will almost always outperform the jetbike version of himself. Also, I suggest powerfists on all sarges - if you're in combat in the first place, you're never coming out unless you win or die. The powerfist helps tremendously on that, in either dealing some damage before it dies - or tipping the scale of combat in your favour.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I see the problem with the typhoon missile launcher. Unfortunately I got it modeled that way. As far as the two speeders in the bike squads that makes them scoring units. They will probably hang with sammael. Try to catch some cover off of hiding behind him with his av14 speeder. I normally play Deathwing with just a few bikes for teleporting and melta.This is my first attempt at just bikes.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
As far as the two speeders in the bike squads that makes them scoring units.
Sorry but no, they are still vehicles and vehicles cannot be scoring units. Check out page 90 of the rulebook for that one.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes but codex trumps brb correct. It says " attack bike and Landspeeder are purchased together with the squadron and then deployed at the same time as the squadrons bikes, but from then on they always operate as completely independent SCORING UNITS of one model." Codex makes them the only scoring vehicle in 40k.

·
Premium Member
6,993 Posts
I don't know man, that was written before the 5th edition rulebook changed things up. Might be something to shoot over to the rules guys here and see what they have to say. I mean, awesome if they get to count as scoring units despite being vehicles, but if they don't and you believe otherwise it can cause tension when someone does not let you in a game.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I asked in the rules forum and got a few answers. Those guys are quick. They agree that it counts as a scoring.g unit but that this is something that should be discussed before a game starts. Ill just bookmark that thread on my phone to have it with me. That's what I get for the ten points more da speeders cost compared to regular sm.

·
Registered
622 Posts
Yes, they are scoring units. The codex is very clear on that.

DA are very hard to play in 5th. Not undoable, but difficult. I would absolutely advise using C:SM for a biker army at this time.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts