Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok long story short I stopped playing in 3rd edition around the time Tau came out.

New game store opens by my house and I get sucked back in and decide to do a Raven Guard army.

I have picked up some of the foundation paints and the new washes but mostly still use my 5+ year old Vallejo paints, which needed a good shaking and remixing on a few.

So with out picking up a brush in about 4 or 5 years it has been a harsh lesson in how much water to add, when the paint gets thick, what colors blend better, etc, etc.

So please be gentle, I know I'm not taking a Golden Daemon but I am trying to get a nice table top quality force together.

None of these guys are really done but you should get the idea of where I am going with my base colors, shades, high lights, etc.

First thing was to start with some Terminators. Being Raven Guard I'm going all black and white with some grey high lighting. I got the hammers from a friend and shield is from a Menoth shoulder with a bretonnian crest over it.

Same feel for these guys, have to rock some lightning claws for fluff

And my base colors start with black of course, astronomicon grey, then adeptus battle grey and build up to white skull white from that.

I'm going to run 3 drop pods so I can get 2 Dreadnoughts down 1st turn

Thank God the transfer sheets are coming out because my free hand is sketchy at best

Can't have Terminators with out a Landraider

I did find out the hard way on the land raider that black is not always black. After a primer coat with black, I washed the entire tank with Vallejo air black, then on the touch ups tried to use Vallejo game color black which came out really shiney and almost a darker shade... Not sure how I'm going to get around that just yet.

Had to have Shrike of course

A Pred for punch and some Razor Backs for the Tac squads

Most of tac guys are in primer but I wanted to start working on the Sargent's for them and used some veteran models and a few old bits I had around

And last for this update my dreads

I'll add more when I can, just a slow going process building up to white over a black under coat with out getting my paint too thick or have brush streaks.

Again, its been a while so don't be overly harsh on me :scratchhead:

·
Registered
427 Posts
awsome work, painting is clean and crisp

my only suggestion is that you could do with another spot colour, or maybe just add more of the red to bring the whole model out

cheers

edd

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh yeah the new forge world goods are on my list of things to get next :D I had to have the Land Raider doors first though.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I'm very impressed by your freehand work, and loving the effort and -dare I say- patience that has gone into it, thus far. Excellent Chapter and I'm eagerly awaiting more Drop Pods to fit their guerilla ethos :)

.... Reminices of Isstvan V and steel-rain. Awesome!

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
And my base colors start with black of course, astronomicon grey, then adeptus battle grey and build up to white skull white from that.
Nice work! The only thing I will say is the white looks a tad flat, I would personally build up from the foundation grey, but leaving some in the recesses, meaning it gets some definition. All in IMO :).
But great work! +Rep!

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah I'm going to work out to a flat white as hell white then go back and black line and wash it down some.

·
Angryman
4,304 Posts
These are magnificent. Clean and crisp. Very nice indeed. I would be proud of these if they were mine. Rep for the great work.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys! I'm going to try and work on those 2 Sargent's tonight and if I have time another Terminator.

I'm leaving for LA tomorrow to so some work and I won't be back until the 17th : /

I have to get my paint fix in while I can!

·
Bleh
3,785 Posts
Thanks guys! I'm going to try and work on those 2 Sargent's tonight and if I have time another Terminator.

I'm leaving for LA tomorrow to so some work and I won't be back until the 17th : /

I have to get my paint fix in while I can!
Take them with you! You're not the only one with a need for a fix :p.

·
Registered
176 Posts
nice work thus far the white is really clean and crisp

·
Registered
82 Posts
I like the work mate, very cool and clean, I love the Raven Guard they look great! :grin:

·
Registered
160 Posts
AHhh finally another Raven guard player *high five* :biggrin:
I was thinking about re-painting all my marines because there were no other raven guard players but this has given me inspiration :victory:

Your models look awesome! Nice and clean.. Unlike mine

And how do you do your snow!?!?!

Here are some photos of mine..

How can It be raven guard without these guys??

I don't know why but I painted up a few Vets using gold :p

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I am back from Los Angeles so I can get to work and post some more images soon!

And my snow is a mix of elmers glue mixed with water then painted on my bases, thin in some spots thick in others then while its still wet I dip the bases in baking soda.

Let it dry for a bit and then shake off the excess.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
AHhh finally another Raven guard player *high five* :biggrin:
I was thinking about re-painting all my marines because there were no other raven guard players but this has given me inspiration :victory:

Your models look awesome! Nice and clean.. Unlike mine

And how do you do your snow!?!?!

Here are some photos of mine..

How can It be raven guard without these guys??

I don't know why but I painted up a few Vets using gold :p

That is one bad ass looking Terminator Chaplin. Love it! We need to get all the Raven Guard peeps together.

Stupid Black Templar's always steal our B&W color scheme. :laugh:

·
Registered
160 Posts
That is one bad ass looking Terminator Chaplin. Love it! We need to get all the Raven Guard peeps together.

Stupid Black Templar's always steal our B&W color scheme. :laugh:
Damn Right! the guys at Games workshop were like.. 'oh hey cool black Templar' and I said.. 'No thanks I'm not a wank' :so_happy:

We should show people how much better Raven guard is and hopefully get some more playing :biggrin:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Me Likey alot keep up the good work:victory:

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
niece and clean. but clean is just not my cup of soup i love battle damage but for a 5 year break pretty deasant
Yeah I'm thinking of doing some weathering on the tanks. I'm going to try my luck with the Tamiya weather kit and the snow stick.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts