Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
IRONBORN
424 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if it was worth getting Deliverance Lost? or any other book in the HH series involving the RG. I hear bad things about Gav Thorpe but I am kind of interested in reading about the RG.

The RG have sorted piqued my interest recently, so any other titles you guys could recommend (40k or 30k) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I don't feel like Gav Thorpe was able to properly get under the skin of the Raven Guard as a Legion. Just as McNeill's Ultramarines can sometimes feel like Blue Space Marines or Swallow’s Blood Angels can feel like Red Space Marines, Thorpe's Raven Guard felt like Black Space Marines, not a highly stylised Legion with their own unique set of customs, philosophy and perspective.

On the contrary, I enjoyed Corax's flashbacks to his youth, and that one scene against the Word Bearers contingent was pretty cool. However, the Alpha Legion portrayal is pretty iffy, and is a significant part of the novel. With this habit of sneaking around, I’m beginning to wonder how they even fielded themselves at Isstvan V. :wink:

tl;dr - Deliverance Lost achieves its purpose of revealing to us more about the underpinning fabric of the Emperor's schemes and the botched rebuilding of the Raven Guard, but with a very mixed reaction.

·
Registered
4,190 Posts
I hated Deliverance Lost because I was looking forward to the first Raven Guard novel of the HH series.

What we got was a worse rendition of "Legion" set in the Raven Guard. I simply don't think there was a need to even involve the Alpha Legion given that there was no mention of them being involved with the botched experiments on accelerated growth. If they had to be involved, it should have been in a minor way. As it is, they take up like half the novel.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts