Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now, I like my armies to be fluffy first and foremost, so that's what I've gone for here. I like Shrike so I've made a list for the Raven Guard 3rd Company, so no terminators or anything. Lots of drop pods though. Anyway, list is:

HQ
Shadow Captain Kayvaan Shrike

Librarian
w/ Epistolary, terminator armour, storm shield, avenger, might of ancients

ELITES
Dreadnought
w/ Plasma cannon
Drop Pod

Dreadnought
w/ Multi-melta, heavy flamer
Drop Pod

TROOPS
Scout Squad
5x w/ Snipers, 1x missile launcher, camo cloaks

Scout Squad
5x w/ Combat blades, power fist

Tactical Squad
10x w/ Plasma gun, multi-melta
Drop Pod

Tactical Squad
10x w/ Melta gun, multi-melta
Drop Pod

Tactical Squad
10x w/ Flamer, multi-melta
Drop Pod

FAST ATTACK
Assault Marine Squad
10x w/ Power fist

Land Speeder Storm
w/ Heavy flamer

Land Speeder Squadron
3x w/ Heavy flamer, multi-melta

Total

So the plan here revolves around an alpha strike, with the two dreads and the melta/multi-melta tac squad dropping turn 1. Combined with the land speeder squadron this should mean 3 popped tanks in the first turn, crippling the enemy's movement, with the plasma dread blasting away some valuable infantry. Shrike goes with assault squad and infiltrates, 18" away in LOS if going first for a turn 1 assault, hidden away out of LOS if going second for a turn 2 assault at the latest. Scouts camp on objectives and harass, and the librarian goes with the flamer tac squad and drops in when available.

An option would be to get rid of the epistolary upgrade and the plasma dread for a devastator squad with two plasma cannons, a lascannon, and a missile launcher. This would give me more plasma cannon blasts on turn 1, but means the multi-melta dread would be on its own, lessening its survivability as the enemy wouldn't have to split their fire. I'll have to test both I think.

Thoughts would be much appreciated, but please stick with the fluff when making suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Where is your librarian going? TBH I'd drop the terminator armour as you have no other terminators and just bulking the libby up for protection. I'd add a jump pack and throw him in with the assault squad, or better yet replace with a jump pack chaplain which will benefit the assault squad better with those re-rolls. I don't think the libby is adding anything to your army tbh.

If I remember right you cannot combat squads in a drop pod, so they come as one unit or split in deployment. So you've got a anti troop flamer and a anti tank multi melta in a single unit, you see where I am going with this?

Double your assault squad for multi threat but mainly target saturation. Jump troops are easy to take down and can be a threat to some armies, taking two helps with target priority ;)

Don't take speeders in squads because squads get destroyed on a immobilised result and armour 10 isn't hard to pop. I'd trade these in for some heavy support as you really need two assault squads rather than one.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You can combat squad in a DP. They seperate when they hit the ground. I believe you must state that you are combat squading during setup.

I agree with the Lib Term. It fails the fluff test.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hm, I thought that multi-meltas were assault weapons. Whoops. Should change that then. What would be the better choice of the free upgrades then, missile launcher, heavy bolter, or just standard bolter? Or should I fork out for an upgrade? Knowing I can't fire my multi-melta when I drop then, I should add a combi-melta to the melta/multi-melta squad too.

Librarian's terminator armour was just point filler to be honest, I'll drop that for the combi-melta(s?), flamers in the assault squad. I thought about giving him a jump pack and putting him with Shrike and the assault squad, but I thought it might be a bit much, so he's just dropping in with the flamer tac squad. He's there for psychic defence mostly (which I will definitely need in my gaming group), and that AP3 flamer template is pretty nice.

If I could have another fast attack slot, another assault squad would be there in a flash, but I think I need the speeders for the alpha strike. The assault squad with Shrike will usually be in combat in turn 1 so shouldn't even be able to be shot at all too often. I'll try with a full squad and jump pack librarian instead of the speeders though.

As for the speeders, they're in a squadron for more melta shots, as I really need it first turn. Besides, I don't think they'll be that high a target priority for AV with two dreads in the midst of the enemy, so the squadron rules shouldn't be too much of a hindrance early on.

·
Registered
670 Posts
No multi meltas are heavy weapons which means when you land via drop pod you cannot shoot them as the drop pod has moved.

Jump pack librarian would be fine :)

No, your multi melta speeders will be a target priority for how fast they move how many melta shots they have and how easy they can be taken down. If you have them seperately you can have them fire at three seperate targets because one melta might get the job done and you have another two standing there but in seperate squads you can fire at other choices.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
But that's the thing, I can't have them separately as I'm using the other two fast attack slots. While three might suffer due to the squadron rules, one on its own might be too weak. I'd rather have the overkill than not enough kill. They're really there to just pop a tank first turn and then just be a nuisance for as long as they survive. Whether or not they make their points isn't important as it's the synergy they provide the rest of the army.

And yeah, I realised my mistake with the multi-melta before when I rechecked the codex. I guess I'll change a couple of them to missile launchers, maybe a plasma cannon.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
Now, I like my armies to be fluffy first and foremost, so that's what I've gone for here. I like Shrike so I've made a list for the Raven Guard 3rd Company, so no terminators or anything. Lots of drop pods though. Anyway, list is:

HQ

Librarian
w/ Epistolary, terminator armour, storm shield, avenger, might of ancients
Terminator armor isn't really fluffy for Raven Guard. Put him in a Jump Pack - that's the Raven Way.
ELITES
Dreadnought
w/ Plasma cannon
Drop Pod
Plasma Cannon in a Pod? Really? What's his purpose here? PC dreads should really be on the table 1st turn to start spewing forth death on the Enemies of the Emperor. And if it's a shooterdread, add in the Missile Arm. Just an opinion.
Dreadnought
Drop Pod
MM/Flamer in a pod. That I understand.
TROOPS
Scout Squad

Scout Squad

Tactical Squad
10x w/ Plasma gun, multi-melta
Drop Pod

Tactical Squad
10x w/ Melta gun, multi-melta
Drop Pod

Tactical Squad
10x w/ Flamer, multi-melta
Drop Pod
Honestly, I see a Vulkan list here, not a Raven Guard. MM/Flamer in all squads? What benefit are you getting from Fleet for these troops? They don't even have a Pistol/Power Weapon Sgt! I'd suggest putting Power Weapons on your Sgt to get the benefit of Fleet/assualt, as well as putting Plasma Cannons in instead of Multi Meltas. Better range, pattern. And it's not so "Vulkan" a list.
FAST ATTACK
Assault Marine Squad
10x w/ Power fist
I have to assume this is Shrike's Boys. Why Power fist in the Sgt, as opposed to PW/Melta bombs? Shrike needs fast folk with him, not a slooooow smack from the Fist. And you lose an attack
Land Speeder Storm
w/ Heavy flamer

Land Speeder Squadron
3x w/ Heavy flamer, multi-melta
I'd drop one of the Speeder squadron for a Whirlwind. Dropping the 2nd Dread to a shooter probably does it.
Total

So the plan here revolves around an alpha strike, with the two dreads and the melta/multi-melta tac squad dropping turn 1. Combined with the land speeder squadron this should mean 3 popped tanks in the first turn, crippling the enemy's movement, with the plasma dread blasting away some valuable infantry. Shrike goes with assault squad and infiltrates, 18" away in LOS if going first for a turn 1 assault, hidden away out of LOS if going second for a turn 2 assault at the latest. Scouts camp on objectives and harass, and the librarian goes with the flamer tac squad and drops in when available.

An option would be to get rid of the epistolary upgrade and the plasma dread for a devastator squad with two plasma cannons, a lascannon, and a missile launcher. This would give me more plasma cannon blasts on turn 1, but means the multi-melta dread would be on its own, lessening its survivability as the enemy wouldn't have to split their fire. I'll have to test both I think.

Thoughts would be much appreciated, but please stick with the fluff when making suggestions.

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
You could put a squad of Sternguard in a DP with some combi - weapons to drop in with the Lib. That will give you a hard hitting fire unit.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Plasma Cannon in a Pod? Really? What's his purpose here? PC dreads should really be on the table 1st turn to start spewing forth death on the Enemies of the Emperor. And if it's a shooterdread, add in the Missile Arm. Just an opinion.
I have 5 drop pods, so this guy will be on the table first turn. I'll keep marching him towards the enemy so the DCCW will inevitably be used.

Sternguard, hmm, I could say they're just a veteran squad from the 3rd company, 1st tactical squad maybe, to get out of the whole 1st company thing so it stays fluffy...

How about this list then?

HQ

Librarian
w/ Epistolary, avenger, might of ancients

ELITES
Dreadnought
w/ Plasma cannon
Drop Pod

Dreadnought
Drop Pod

Sternguard Squad
10x w/ Power weapon, 4x combi-meltas
Drop Pod

TROOPS
Scout Squad

Scout Squad

Tactical Squad
10x w/ Plasma gun, plasma cannon
Drop Pod

Tactical Squad
10x w/ Flamer, missile launcher
Drop Pod

FAST ATTACK
Assault Marine Squad
10x w/ Power weapon, melta bombs

Land Speeder Storm
w/ Heavy flamer

Land Speeder Squadron
2x w/ Heavy flamer, multi-melta

Total

Shrike will go with the assault squad, librarian with the sternguard.

·
Registered
4,166 Posts
I still think the Plasma Dread has no need of a pod. Spend the points on missiles and Extra armor. But that's all I will say about that.

You still lack AT punch, but the 2nd list is somewhat better :)

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
I think it looks good. I would see about a melts on the scouts in the storm just to give him an added "I hate AV 14" statement. Also with the Sternguard, switch a combie melta for a combi flamer just incase you land next to that massive horde and have a perfect shot. Thats all I think I would change. Of course your lib has Avenger so its not that high on the list.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts