Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have been looking at codex marines lately and i have come to realize that scouts can be effective as assaulty troops. not the best but decent. better than taking tac marines with an assault mind set.

shrike

scouts x10
9x combat blades
power fist
combi melta
camo cloaks

scouts x10
camo cloaks
power fist
combi melta
4x combat blades
4x sniper rifles
missiles launcher

scouts x10
camo cloaks
power fist
combi flamer
4x combat blades
4x sniper rifles
missile launcher

land speeder storm
multimelta

land speeder storm
heavy flamer

assault terminator squad x8
th + ss x8

dreadnought
2x TL autocannons

thunder fire cannon

this is mostly just a fun list but it is slightly competitive. kind of a go between. im pretty sure raven gaurd didnt have 8 man squads of th + ss termies but i would prolly lose pretty hard without them. i dont have a lot of anti tank with 2 combi meltas, 1 multimelta, 2 missiles, 8 snipers (if you wanna even count that as anti tank), and 1 rifleman dread.

i do have some strategy planned, 2 scout squads combat squad, the missiles and snipers go into a ruin with the thunder fire cannon, the tech priest bolsters that ruin so he gets a 3+ cover and the scouts have a 2+ cover when you add in the camo cloaks. helps protect them a bit.

the other five go into their land speeder storm transports. the large scout squad infiltrates and then scout moves to be 12" away from something worth assaulting turn 1. shrike gives them fleet so the get 12 inches away, move 6 or 3D6 through cover, fleet D6 and charge 6/3D6. on average, even with cover, they get there turn 1.

the termies infiltrate with shrike as close as possible and try for a turn 1 assault, if not possible shrike may break off in the movement and try on his own of something is juicy enough.

the land speeders get a scout move before the game starts of a possible 24 inches which i believe can give them a cover save if the opponent goes first or seizes turn 1. so most missions the scouts inside can assault turn 1 if they so choose. start 24 inches or more away (pitched battle/ spear head) scout move 24 inches, move 12 inches, scouts get out (open topped) within 2 inches, charge 6 inches. they have the charge anywhere they want it. 5 scouts isnt really scary but if you double charge with both speeders you have 2 sargents with fists plus pretty much assault marines. against most hit on 4+ wound on 4+, 3 attacks on the charge. they have worse WS and BS and a 4+ save but they can assault turn 1 in vital areas.

pretty long reasoning for everything but i hope you understand my choices.

·
Registered
304 Posts
This looks like a fantasically fun list to play!!! :)

·
Registered
220 Posts
id be afraid for the fragility of the list. i like the scout aspect but i feel that you need some punch. cc termies are punch but they are not a sure thing and if they don't get into cc by turn two, the rest of your forces would be pretty beat up vs. a prepared opponent.

for a fun list my mod. might be to drop the termies and add a 5 man assault to shrike, while adding in 2 autolas preds. preds will be good targets as well as good fire support vs. all. i personally don't care for the thunderfire cannon. i rammed one with my rhino last week and blew it up. it was pretty fun.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
huh, if you move 12" thats what? 1 S5 auto hit, you need a 5 to glance. possible but not probable, nice if you pulled it off though.

also i dont really see how thunder hammer storm shield terminators are fragile. and they are almost guaranteed assault turn 2 with fleet and infiltrating them with shrike. they can get it turn 1 if your lucky.

plus you do have the 10 man scout squad assaulting too on turn 1. and the speeders too. i would use the speeders together as 1 unit for assaulting purposes and have 3 units where i want them assaulting his front lines turn 1. 4 if he has devistators or long fangs etc, the speeders can split up between them. or combat squaded tac squad with the heavy weapon.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah, i also like the idea of assaully scouts, they arent really scary but they can do some damage to people who dont expect them. often enough people are making all shooty armies or alpha strikers and this is my kind of counter measure. assaulting turn 1 and thunder hammer storm shield termies. people often forget about multi assaulting as well, if i infiltrate where i want even 18"s away i am going to set up a bunch of targets and try to get as many in cc as possible. plus the scouts help tie things down for a while.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts