Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking it up a bit and I cant find any mentioning of Skaven in 40K, maybe they are not capable of building ships or weapons but anyway do they still exist in the 40k universe and if not dont you think it would be nice, lets say they can be recreated or mutate from rats in one of the bigger ships.
What do you think?

·
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know what you are talking about, they are supposed to be some kind of replacement to skaven but they aren't, they are more like insects then mammals also.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well depending on how your wanting to play them it is possible. I've never read much about the Skaven, but I don't see any reason you could not convert skaven minis and run IG rules (or something along those line) on them and give them some good background fluff to explain everything.

·
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yea is it possible just its weird how they just vanished from the records of history :p

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well 40k and Fanatasy aren't set in the same universe so not everything in Fantasy will have an equivalent in 40k.
Uh I would say that they are in the same timeline. I am willing to bet that fantasy is simply a world cut off by warp storms. Since you have 4 chaos gods active this suggests that the timeline of Fantasy can be no more then 10,000 years back given that Slaanesh did not exist before then. Also if you not the Elves worship in one form or another the same gods the Eldar so. In fact if you look at fantasy and 40k it's almost the same thing. I would say that the most likely prospect for the Fantasy world is one that was contested over by all the major races of the time (think Battle of Armageddon), and then a warp Storm cut it off. Give it a few thousand years or so and technology falls backwards as it is slowly lost. The Eldat trapped on world may have been exodites to begine with so they already had little technology. As for the Orks lacking any genetic memory of how to make and build technology: that could easily be explained in that the Orks on Planet were Feral/Snakebite orks, thus already possessing limited technology.

Basicly every race in one is represented in some form in the other.

If you really want to ponder something, ask yourself this. Why does the fantasy world look alot like ours? All the contents are the same with some minor changes that could occure with the addition of the High Elf kingdom.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Valid theory if GW hadn't explicitly said Fantasy and 40k aren't in the same universe, sorry.

My belief is that the Chaos Gods are present in both universes is because the Warp is a buffer between the 2 realities, that would also explain how the Old Ones were able to visit the WHFB world and seed it with races similar to that found in 40k.

Edit: And it would explain why the Warhammer World resembles Earth/Terra because it's an alternate reality version.

·
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
but then if you say that the chaos gods are present in both universes why not let their worshippers have a more powerful technology or teach them because technically they do know it from the other more advanced universe.

·
Registered
63 Posts
to them its all a game, they want to see who will do more to please them.

·
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
it is possible but who knows maybe its just a really really big plot hole :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
As is the usual approach of the chaos gods they will only help their subjects as little as they think is possible to help themselves, hence the lack of inter-universal crossovers, its deemed unnessary for the world fantasy (pure conjecture, but what i like to think)

however back to the original post, i believe the hrud were intended as the 40k version of skaven, however they failed to become relevant/interesting enough in a 40k setting and were just abandoned as a concept like the squats

·
Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn!
1,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i agree with the hrud thing not only this but the skaven were more like a major race in the fantasy warhammer but the hrud in 40k are just a minor unimportent race.
I think that if the orks could have adopted to space and using weapons( rifles, pistols...) so do skaven.

·
Slaanesh's Plaything
1,290 Posts
You use to be able to give WFB chaos champions 40k style weapons and alot of the older artwork had Titans fighting in the background with Chaos Knights and warriors in the forefront but that was a long time ago.

The hrud fit skaven a bit but they seem to have insect like limbs but they do have a rat like tail.
I think either the IG codex or the ork codex would be a good counts as for them.

·
Registered
364 Posts
It was possible to play in early versions of WFB using both 40K (Lost in Space-stylee) and WFB minis.

The best example of this is the Warhammer Siege book, which had many references - plus picture examples - throughout IIRC.

As has been mentioned earlier, I understand that GW have publicly disavowed the link between the two game systems, but there are too many race-links for that to be a credible position for them longer term.

Having said that, the recently published Liber Chaotica - an omnibus of the Liber Chaotica books published a few years back - has references to dreams the "writer" has of a blasted future with great armoured monsters (illustrations and allusions clearly point to Chaos Space Marines). This book is based in the WFB world, so GW's own position is contrary to material they are currently selling!

Bottom line? If you have willing players, a good enough imagination and enough minis then why not mix the two game systems? It would be a great laugh...

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
If you look far enough in the past you will find that WFB and 40K were linked.

If any of you have any WFRP books you will know that there is a suit of power armour, a bolt gun AND a chain sword in the warhammer world.

Power Armour - High Elves have it
Chain sword - Lost in the chaos wastes
Bolt gun - I believe the empire have that (with no ammo)

In some 40k fluff (i mean old) a Mighty Chariot of the Gods of chaos came forth from the "Eye of the north" (warp portal) and was going to lay siege to the world and plunder, only the intervention of Morr (human god of death and gateways) stopped them and destroyed them, but in its wake left a new moon made entirely of Wyrd Stone (warp stone)

·
Registered
12 Posts
the link between the two systems is undisputable, however it just seems some races seemed to not catch the imagination when put into a galactic environment, eg dwarves, skaven, which frankly is a shame, would've loved to try the hrud on the tabletop, 40k versions of warplightning cannon and jezzails anyone?

effigy22, would definatly like to look up those sources, how far back are they 1st, 2nd... edition fantasy?, cos i only started playin fantasy late 5th edition, likewise are the 40k ones old rogue trader sources?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts