Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

321 - 340 of 340 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Rise of the Ynnari: Ghost Warrior 5/10

Something about it just didn't inspire me - maybe the eldar were just too human. Also, plugging in one of the villains saying "make NNN great again" was really cringe-worthy. There's a difference between having political relevance and shunting the reader out of the story. But when the book worked, it worked.

The Last Hunt 8/10

The ending was a bit too tidy, but generally, it was a very solid book with a great feeling of atmosphere.

Ferrus Manus: Gorgon of Medusa 9/10

This one is still in flux. In general, it was a phenomenal book. The downside was the portrayal of Ferrus being insufficiently awesome, so to speak. Ferrus needed a portrayal that showed why he was chosen to lead seven Legions at Isstvan, and this wasn't it. At all.

Perturabo: Hammer of Olympia 1/10

The rest of the book was decent, the hrud were fittingly scary, but the portrayal of Perturabo was so abysmal as to break any numerical scale. I think Haley is just bad at writing "left-brain" characters - he writes Guilliman badly in Dark Imperium, and this abomination is even worse.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Legacy of Dorn - 9/10

Watchers of the Throne: the Emperor's Legion - 5/10

Blood of Iax - 7/10

The Lords of Silence - 10/10

Shroud of Night - 9/10

Carcharodons: Outer Dark - 8/10

The Voice of Mars - 10/10

Ciaphas Cain:
For the Emperor 9/10
Caves of Ice 7/10
The Traitor's Hand 9/10
(yeah, I'm a bit behind on actually reading those....)

The Beast Arises:
I am Slaughter 7/10
Predator, Prey 6/10
The Emperor Expects 8/10
The Last Wall 8/10
(on sheer entertainment value, the Emperor Expects + Last Wall were both 10/10, but the inconsistencies are already piling up, and more generally I have issues with the presentation of the M32 setting.)

The Solar War - 7/10

·
Registered
430 Posts
Garro (Horus Heresy 42) - 4/10

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nemesis 7/10

I quite like that it doesn't really have much to do with the overarching plot. My main gripe is that a lot of the assassins didn't particularly act like assassins.

Mechanicum 6/10

The reveals about the truth of Mars and the Mechanicum were the best bits. The titan battles I could take or leave. The main character's journey was interesting but she was frustratingly idiotic (for a genius).

The Solar War 8/10

Enthralling non-stop action (and I'm not usually keen on the battle based books), with a fantastic reveal at the end which we should have seem coming!

321 - 340 of 340 Posts