Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

After reading alot in these forums and talking to alot of chaos players out there, i have heard lots of bad things about Raptors and nothing good. I know they are not the best unit in the codex, but why do people dislike this unit.

I on the other hand, actually think they are really useful as a shock troop or a speed bump, with the options to take some good strong wargear, such as melta and plasma.

What do you and your local gaming community think about these "often over looked" units?

·
Death Before Dishonour
1,430 Posts
it doesnt make sense. I think more people want to spend their points on Oblits to blow shit up (i did love the 0-1 cap in 3rd for Oblits)

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
I think alot of it comes down to the cost... A boxed set of Raptors will cost you £25, while normal assault marines are £18.

·
Registered
2,122 Posts
they are expensive in large units and don't do much.
They are best used in squads of 5 with 2 meltaguns. Deep strike them in, pop a tank, there job is done. Thats what? 120pts? and you just popped a 240pts leman russ.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Theres nothing stopping people kit bashing plastic Assault marines with Chaos heads and torsos etc.

General rule of thumb is that Raptors just take points away from units that could be bought instead of.

A Raptor is not as good in assault as a KB. And not as resilient as a PM. Granted it's cheaper and more mobile, but thats all.

Why would anyone wanting to win win win pick a raptor over a cult?

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Say you had to play a low points game and you could not afford the cult troops, people would just pick rhinos and normal CSM as their options, no raptors again. Also do you think they where better in a prvious ed of the codex or have they never really had love?

·
Registered
534 Posts
They are best used in squads of 5 with 2 meltaguns. Deep strike them in, pop a tank, there job is done. Thats what? 120pts? and you just popped a 240pts leman russ.
This.

I can always find 120pts in my Chaos list for this unit. If they scatter and mishap, oh well not too bad. if they land near or on target, something is going to get slagged

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hell I enjoy run 600 points of raptor fun in some matches two ten man squads that fly with two MoT Warptime Sorc's or just behind the Princes makes fast CC and giving them meltas makes it a tank popping MC popin, BLASTY!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Raptors have their uses, keeping up with a winged rapelord, or winged tank popping sorcerer (or deepstriking within 6'' of another HQ/important unit, and popping gift of chaos on them lol)

also, a unit of 5 raptors can take dual plasmas, or meltas. perfect for popping anoying tanks and then assaulting a threat to keep it occupied.
but the problem is, for the amount of points you pay per raptor, its just far too much. Let say raptors were JET troops, or given better upgrades (fleet, able to assault the same turn they deep strike, their clawed feet should give them an extra attack on assault(not including other modifiers so they would have 1 from claws 1 from weapons and 1 for charging)

20Points for a basic marine who can move faster.. woo.

thats why people don't like them much.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
the reason why people like assualt SM mopre than Chaos Raptors is because SM can take there jump packs off and take a free rhino use them as an assualt force. Chaos Raptors have infused packs so they cant remove them plus they are expensive.

·
Registered
594 Posts
They're just too expensive, especially when there is a better unit in our codex for almost every role. KB are better at CC, Chosen are better at vehicle popping, and Vanilla or Plague in a Rhino are better for shooty.

The only way i'd use them is for a Greater Daemon bomb.

·
Registered
4,277 Posts
I avoid them, but that's just do to the current kill point rules (I use them in small 5 man squads) and the fact their awkwardly weighted pewter models. Still I often find use for small units with melta's against heavy armor lists.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts