Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I'd like to start off by first stating my eternal debt to the Space Marine name generator. I'm also a recreational writer and have currently completed three mini-novels (varying from 10-13,000 words each), currently I'm working on my fourth story of the series. My main character is a Commissar-General, who is apart of a High Inquisitor's retinue, two minor characters are Majors and another a Commissar-Captain.

To avoid an onslaught of details, both Majors and Captain were required to undergo trials of purity and incorruptibility (their former Imperial Guard battle-group was completely absorbed into the Inquisition). My main question is; do the Inquisitor Stormtroopers use the standard ranks of the Imperial Guard? ie: Would my Major's/Captain retrain their ranks, or, possibly adopt new ranks?

I've searched around, but my searches have come up with nothing of substance. Any ideas, or speculation would be greatly welcome.

++ Calon

·
Registered
87 Posts
If the Inquisition commandeers the unit, I would assume that they would retain rank, but answer ultimately to the Inquisitor. I do believe that the Inquisition recruits and trains their Stromtroopers from basic to death. And are only recruited from certain world that are a very controlled environments. Most are mind wiped upon "signing up". So it would depend on just how the unit would be "absorbed" I think.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Inquisition Stormtroopers are actually plucked from the Schola Progenium, which begins at childhood. I hadn't even considered a memory cleanse (or at least a partial one), which, would be an easy way to incorporate the units. Many thanks.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Cleansing the troopers would be interesting, while leaving the officers their memories. Adds a layer of guilt, or tension between them and the stock troopers.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Actually, I worked it around the Commissar's keeping all their memories, as the words of a strong moral officer can be as uplifting as even the greatest prayers. While the remainder lost everything but their subconscious muscle memory.

·
Registered
194 Posts
It would all depend on the Inquisitor probably. The Holy Ordos have a large amount of Inquisitorial Stormtroopers to protect Inquisition holdings, meetings, assets and act as bodyguards for the Lord Inquisitors. But outside the official channel an Inquisitor can still do whatever he wants with them and it would come down to his philosophy. An Istvaanian would want them to have all of their memories and whoever passed through the fire would be worthy. A Commodus Voke character might want a bunch of mind-cleansed robots to do his bidding while another would want them to have personalities.

By the way I have five or six short stories I'm working on right now related to the Inquisition. I started on a novel but I put in on the backburner for now. I've basically been creating plot seeds for the past few weeks and doing more research but I would love to do some collaboration. Would you be interested?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, my original three stories featured around the expertise of the main battle group, which acted as a "black ops" unit for the Warmaster himself. Though, the High Inquisitor they now serve is quite an interesting character. She understands the values of each person's memories, though, the risk of their knowledge falling into Chaos hands has been a very real threat. I've purchased the Ravenor omnibus to dive into Abnett's research, but, that will have to wait until September until I can really sit down and read them.

If you want to throw some ideas around, I'd be more than glad to share ideas/speculation with someone else.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Commissars are traditionally not given ranks. Lord Commissars would be more common than Commissar Generals or Commissar Captains. The reason is they are outside of the rank and file, as polictical officers they don't take orders Gaunt is just an usual case of fun.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
There are several previously noted Commissar-Generals, but, yes, all are uncommon due to the opposing nature of the joint roles.
Tried to recall a few...
Commissar-General Viktoria Balshin
Commissar-General Delane Oktar

While, I can't find any existent Commissar-Captains, I decided to play with it a bit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts