Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I was sitting down and finally reading through the Eisenhorn novels by Dan Abnett and was thinking about all the different psykers he has been encountering through the books. I have previously read many novels from 40k including Ravenor, Thousand Sons, Gaunts Ghosts, and so on. Throughout these there is sometimes different "Classes" of psykers listed but that is not always the case (especially when referring to horus heresy novels).

I was wondering what people thought in terms of how these various different characters rank in terms of psychic ability? Lets hear your thoughts!

My first guesses of psykers i can remember off the top of my head would be something like this:

1) Emperor
2) Magnus the Red
3) Ahriman
4) Thousand Sons elites
5) 40k Librarians
6) Ravenor
7) Psyker "pets" from the Gaunts Ghost novels in The Saint (the ones that got in Cuu's head)

These are obviously speculation and not exactly great since it is hard to balance one psyker versus another. However, I think it would be interesting to see where some of the more notable ones stack up. Do you guys think that Pre-Nikea librarians would be stronger or weaker than the current 40k librarians? Is Ravenor's psychic prowess really that high up in the chain, or are there a shitton of eldar that should be before him?

·
4,491 Posts
Would Mephiston make the top 10?

Also, i think the Doom of Malan'tai should be up there somewhere.
Considering he did wipe out a whole eldar planet by himself using purely psychic powers.

·
Registered
12 Posts
1)emperor
2)the hive mind, albeit you may not class it as a singular psyker
3)magnus the red, especially since his elavation to daemon prince
4)Eldrad Ulthran as he was the most powerfull psyker of the elder before his apparent death in the 13th black crusade
5)certain higher ranking Greater Daemons of Tzeentch
6)Ahriman

·
Registered
948 Posts
Malcador the Sigilite (Spelling?) was a psker second only to the Emporer so he should be above Magnus.

Also on the list I think should be Mephiston, Eldrad and maybe Lords of Change

·
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
1,443 Posts
Should the hive mind be in the top 5? not really as its power isnt really a power that it means to use it just happens. Tigerus v.s memphiston = draw in my opinion as the are both chife librarians. Would you consider actual gods as psychers?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
1) emperor
2) hive mind
3) magnus
4) eldrad
5) tiger

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
Malcador the Sigilite (Spelling?) was a psker second only to the Emporer so he should be above Magnus.
Actually if you look at the evidence, Magnus is clearly above Malcador, even pre-Daemon Prince. Its not even a competition after his elevation to Daemonhood.

The Emperor's initial plan was to have Magnus the Red sit on the Golden Throne to maintain the Imperial Webway and direct the Imperium's armies through the both the Imperial built section of the Webway and the Eldar network. Therefore its safe to assume that Magnus would have been able to maintain himself whilst on the Throne.

Malcador the Hero on the other hand, was the Emperor's second choice in sitting on the Golden Throne. Malcador had to maintain and keep the Imperial Webway sealed whilst the Emperor confronted Horus, merely a few hours later Malcador was drained and swiftly died. Thus its safe to assume that Magnus (being capable of surviving on the Golden Throne) is a more able Psyker. And thats without bringing the Primarch argument into it.

Aside from that, I personally think its very hard to even class the Hive Mind as a psyker. I wouldn't include it in the running at all.

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
I would not put Ahriman on the list. Granted he is powerful, but he himself admits to using daemonic allies as the source for most of his strength. His followers are unaware of this fact. DoW Tempest.

imo:

1: The Emperor. Commonsense.
2: Magnus. Also commonsense.
3: Tigurius. One on one with the Hive Mind.
4: Ravenor. Made of awesome. Strength and cunning.
5: Eldrad. One on one with a Blackstone Fortress?! (theory)
6: Mephiston. Resisted the RT or BR (I don`t know) and grew stronger from it.
7: SwarmLord. A single Hive Tyrant able to transcend fleets and supercharge boneswords.
8: Doom of Malantai. Demolished a craftworld`s population!
9: Ahriman... Yeah, alright.
10: Probably some rogue alpha psyker or something...

I did not include the Hive mind, since it`s not a single entity. I also did not include daemons, because they`re not technically psykers.

·
Registered
24 Posts
1: The Emperor. Commonsense.
2: Magnus. Also commonsense.
3: Tigurius. One on one with the Hive Mind.
4: Ravenor. Made of awesome. Strength and cunning.
5: Eldrad. One on one with a Blackstone Fortress?! (theory)
6: Mephiston. Resisted the RT or BR (I don`t know) and grew stronger from it.
7: SwarmLord. A single Hive Tyrant able to transcend fleets and supercharge boneswords.
8: Doom of Malantai. Demolished a craftworld`s population!
9: Ahriman... Yeah, alright.
10: Probably some rogue alpha psyker or something...

i would deffinatly not rank Tigurius higher than Eldrad , the guy has been around for a hell of along time. he has shown he poseses extremmly powerful abilitys when it comes to scrying the future , Foresaw the heresy before the emperor for eg , he predicted the fall of iyanden and the 13th black crusade!

not only that but he defeated Abaddon in single combat proving he is no pushover when it comes to close up and personnal fighting!

id put eldrad rank 3 in raw power , the emperor and magnus probably beat him in pure destructive ability .

Farseer Dave.

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
I would not put Ahriman on the list. Granted he is powerful, but he himself admits to using daemonic allies as the source for most of his strength. His followers are unaware of this fact. DoW Tempest.
Does it matter? All sorcerers use Daemonic Pacts, even Magnus.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah they rank Alpha and Alpha plus as being the top dogs but really the lists that have been in this thread so far are all superior to that. Ravenor would an Alpha plus if I remember the books correctly but that would still put him fairly well below any of the superpower entities throughout the 40k galaxy.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Why Alpha being the top dogs. I reckon it would sound better being Omega, as in if they ever get possesed that's what it will be- Omega, the end.

I could see the Emperor being a Omega Plus level (if they followed my scale)

·
Registered
843 Posts
I don't think it's fair to compare psykers of different races. The Eldar have much more refined psychic abilities than the psykers in the Imperium while the sorcerers of Chaos are further empowered by the Chaos Gods. So it's hard to fairly judge and compare their strength.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts