Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

801 - 820 of 1113 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
To be fair they do have some understandable reasons for their current attitudes. The Iron Men did nearly destroy humanity and usher in the Age of Strife after all. Additionally theirs is a universe where machines can become corrupted by chaos and become malevolently sentient, a certain degree of caution is understandable.

Change and new developments in technology do occur but they are mostly in the vein of adaptations to existing technologies or rediscoveries. The Imperium has shown itself to be capable of innovating though- their naval designs are example of this.

Also the Golden Age and Dark Age of Technology are different times. The Golden Age under the dominion of the 'golden men' occurs entirely on earth. Once earth is unified and galactic colonisation begins the 'men of stone' appear and the Dark Age of technology begins. (this occurs in m20 and lasts for 5 thousand years or so). The men of stone then built the Iron Men, and the Mechanicus are founded. The Iron Men later rebel ushering in the Age of Strife as warp storms increase and alien threats grow. This continues for about 5 thousand years then the Emperor emerges to create the Age of the Imperium.

·
Registered
279 Posts
is it true that the people of terra have a fear of space marines because of the events of the horus heresy and the seige of terra...

what does the imperium administration think about this.. i mean they still use space marines as a fighting force, even though terra citizens are scared of them..

·
I am Alpharius.
8,375 Posts
is it true that the people of terra have a fear of space marines because of the events of the horus heresy and the seige of terra...

what does the imperium administration think about this.. i mean they still use space marines as a fighting force, even though terra citizens are scared of them..
I cant think of a normal citizen in the Imperium who would not piss in his pants if a Space Marine glared at him...

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
No, that's not quite true.

Astartes are scary yes, but that's because they're giant killers in baroque armour with large weapons. However they are also the Emperor's Angels of Death, nigh mythical beings who dispense his wrath.

So a 'average' (not that there is such a thing, the Imperium is too large for generalisations) citizen, upon seeing a Astartes would be battling feelings of awe, fear and reverence.

The people of Terra would not know much of the Heresy. They would likely know of it in a apocryphal manner, that once a great evil was defeated by the Emperor. They wouldn't specifically know that Horus was a primarch and that other astartes turned traitor. Knowledge of Chaos is heavily restricted in the Imperium.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Weird how Lorgar owned the Unbound then proceeded to get owned by Corax in a way that felt as though it was Lorgar's first real fight against something as strong as him and rebuked by Curze. Would have made more sense imo if he had fought the Unbound after Corax.

And it does feel like it was set-up, it felt like the Unbound was holding back and letting Lorgar win in a convincing fashion was the final push to convince him into following Chaos and to believe in himself. That bit from Ingethel about nothing being immune to death seemed to foreshadow the Unbound's arrival.

·
Registered
279 Posts
are imperial citizens ignorant of current events and past history

are the IG, space marines, inquisistion and administration the only ones that know what the hell is going on.. on a day to day basis

·
Super Moderator
10,976 Posts
I was about to answer the question, then I realized that Baron had the better idea.

Just do some fucking reading for fuck`s sake.

·
Registered
279 Posts
it seems like if GW was to ever bring back the primarchs in the story (maybe 6th edition, highly doubt it) the only ones that are capable of bringing back is the Lion and Guilliman... all the other ones have dissapeared or have been slain

is this correct

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
it seems like if GW was to ever bring back the primarchs in the story (maybe 6th edition, highly doubt it) the only ones that are capable of bringing back is the Lion and Guilliman... all the other ones have dissapeared or have been slain

is this correct
For the record they will never be brought back. But, hypothetically if they were, the ones potentially capable of returning would be the Lion, the Khan, Russ, Vulkan and Corax.

Sanguinius, Dorn, Ferrus Manus and Guilliman are dead.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter #814
I know there are probably billions of threads about the Alpha Legion and questioning their loyalties (probably started by the Hydra Cult itself to stir up confusion lol) but are there any stories of an AL force attacking another Chaos Force?

·
Bane of Empires
5,131 Posts
who is Cacadomius?
An alien cyborg who also happened to possess a very powerful psychic presence.

(Nice of you to ask this question in this thread after you had already started an individual thread on it).

·
Craw-Daddy
4,416 Posts
For the record they will never be brought back. But, hypothetically if they were, the ones potentially capable of returning would be the Lion, the Khan, Russ, Vulkan and Corax.

Sanguinius, Dorn, Ferrus Manus and Guilliman are dead.
I think Graham McNeill is more than capable of bringing Guilliman back from the dead with some bullshit story.

All we have to hope is Lux doesn't become a BL author, because he is also capable of bringing Ferrus Manus from the death with his papermachett head theory.

I could see Dorn banishing himself.

But in all fairness, and with all Black Library has done with some of its "creativity" they could bring any of the primarchs back into the picture, except for Sanguinus and Ferrus Manus. Sorry Lux.

But "realistically" they are all very much dead. Even the ones, that are most likely. Khan being able to survive in the webway with all the eldar and dangerous things in there for 10,000 years... he is just as likely to be alive as Guilliman getting stabbed in throat. Even Leman Russ and Corax, going straight into the Eye of Terror... are we seriously expected to believe they were able to survive that long without replenishing their strength, and not being challenged by all the warbands and champions lurking around there? And Vulkan... I wouldn't be surprised if he just put himself into exile. He from all the Primarchs suffered the worst fate of all the legions in the Heresy. Pretty much literally watching his entire legion literally destroyed. I think he is a broken man and will be... forever.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
But "realistically" they are all very much dead. Even the ones, that are most likely. Khan being able to survive in the webway with all the eldar and dangerous things in there for 10,000 years... he is just as likely to be alive as Guilliman getting stabbed in throat. Even Leman Russ and Corax, going straight into the Eye of Terror... are we seriously expected to believe they were able to survive that long without replenishing their strength, and not being challenged by all the warbands and champions lurking around there? And Vulkan... I wouldn't be surprised if he just put himself into exile. He from all the Primarchs suffered the worst fate of all the legions in the Heresy. Pretty much literally watching his entire legion literally destroyed. I think he is a broken man and will be... forever.
Regarding Russ and Corax(possibly Vulkan for all we know), it would be entirely possible and even plausible to have them emerge from the Eye in the current timeline having only been in there for a day, hell even an hour. The 13th Company managed to survive all that time in there, granted it's a whole company, but even so.

As for the Khan, i've always had this thought of him being captured by the Dark Eldar and imprisoned within Commorragh. The Dark Eldar are more than capable of keeping a subject alive for extreme amounts of time to torture, maybe even indefinitely, imagine the fun they would have with a being like a Primarch. No backing of course, just my own little theory.

·
Registered
81 Posts
On the subject of Dark Eldar and their....consumption, do they become more blase as time passes? For example do they need more souls as they get older? Vect who has been alive for like what.. a few thousand years would need a lot of souls at that point in time.
Yes, to use the analogy employed by the White Dwarf (whatever issue it was when the new Dark Eldar codex came out) they're like rusty buckets, the more time passes, the more holes they get, the more "water" they lose (water being the equivalent for "soul") ... and they need other people's suffering as a way of replenishing the bucket.

801 - 820 of 1113 Posts