Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here goes another army. The list is posted elsewhere but it's essentially four squads and two dreds in pods. So 40 infantry and 6 vehicles to go then.

To start me off i've done a squad of grey hunters led by a wolf gaurd.

All the wolf gaurd in this army will have the puppy helmet

I've also had a bash at making my own Ragnar as the GW one now looks uglier than Jo Brand.

And to break up the infantry painting one of my two FW dreds.

I've got another squad of GH nearly done and then it's into the blood claws. Drop pods probably done as a batch at the end!

·
Registered
835 Posts
Very crisp and clean cut looking wolf army. I like it a lot, and the shade of grey is pretty spot on for them too.

Nice on cabbage, have some rep for this, good luck with the rest I look forward to seeing it! :)

·
Febris Militarius
919 Posts
I like the bash the best. I was looking at t saying self "that looks like ragnar but not the GW version" excellent use of the space puppy options afforded to you. I also find your painting visually stimulating. Good work, can't wait to see more.
+ Rep

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been a bit busy at work this week, i've done the banner for the dred and another squad of GH will be on the table by the end of the weekend (The wife is of to the mother in laws)

·
Registered
2,996 Posts
I really like these, very nice looking army tbh mate! Keep up the good work, have some well deserved rep, also :)

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
update

I've done the banner now, i'm not 100% happy with it but I am to free painting what Jordan is to Philosophy so here goes.

I did a test model on one of the free termies from WD right at the start. The dry brushing hasn't been tidied up so he looks a bit scruffy.

I just this morning drilled him to see what the sentinel launcher would look like as a cyclone stand in. Looks pretty good I think. (thanks bitsandkits).

Got called out from work yesterday so didn't get the grey hunters squad finished but that is todays task!

Thanks for the positive feedback guys.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here comes squad two of the grey hunters, one will be led by Ragnar himself and the other by a wolf guard.

First three guys

Next three

Next three

And the whole lot so far, half of the infantry done but wish me luck with six drop pods!!

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here is the next installment,

A squad of Blood Claws

Some detail

More detail

More detail

And the army so far

If you look closely at the BC and GH models earlier in the project you'll see some differences. I have made a lot of the detail on the GH in Black and Gold on the BC's. This is to make the GH seem a bit older and more dour. I have also used all the legs and torso's with wolf tails and fur on the GH again because they have had longer at war to collect honours. There are only four wolf tails in the whole BC squad. Some individual GH have that many!

Hope you like them.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Next up is the second dred. I might go back to the BC faces as well. In ten years plus of painting I've always avoided faces!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Really nice, wish I could get the motivation to do stuff like that.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
a few things, first, ill say ive never been fond of the powder blue armor, BUT, I am amazed how good your models look. most people who attempt to make space puppies make them look horrable with the powder blue, but you have pulled it off nicely. +rep to you

·
Febris Militarius
919 Posts
I like the models, I agree that they have good contrasting colors. I do however find it odd that all the blood claws have the same hair. And maybe wash the hair to add some pop.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Looking pretty damn good there. I've been ambivalent toward the 'traditional' Space Wolves paint scheme, but I'm liking your work.

I completely understand your aversion to faces; I've never quite been able to get them right myself.

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the comments guys. To answer some.

The hair and faces just aren't where I want them and they might get more attention. As you might expect they look less cartoon on the table than they do on close up well lit photographs but I think the hair needs a highlight and another wash maybe. Currently it is just the orange foundation with a brown wash and a citadel orange dry brush. The hair will all be orange as will the next squad. I was aiming for a died orange rather than natural.

Many thanks for the armour comments. It is a very light spray white undercoat. Then a Humbrol tank grey undercoat. A wash of black/blue 9/1 to darken the crevices. Then a couple of dry brush layers with space wolves grey. And finally I take a wet brush with a tiny amount of paint and paint over large areas like the legs to get a more solid feel.

My target has always been mid level table top as a painting standard and I can bash them out at this standrad but evem with a lot more care they don't seem to get a huge lot better.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
yeah if your painting a large army, simplier is better if your not going for artists competition. For example take my warriors of chaos:

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=60813

atleast in my commanders, which I feel are never fully done so I keep fixing them up, I try to get competition quality on the paint jobs, im extending it to the rest of my army because of how it works.

for my wolves:

http://www.heresy-online.net/forums/showthread.php?t=54246

because I am going for a much bigger force (I have about 2.5k right now, but thats quickly escelating to the points I want to hit, which would be about 6k atleast, currently) I have not devoted as much detail to. Though, I have been retouching my "finished" wolves to give them a much nicer look, which ill be posting soon, once I feel they are where I want them.

Still as I said in my earlier post. your work is definitly good enough for a + rep in the least, regardless of my dislike for most peoples space wolf grey.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts