Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

41 - 60 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Man I want that book even considering my backlog. ;-; but the moneeeeeehs
I hope they offer a cheaper paperback version down the line.

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
They will. It will be released in every format, eventually. The question is, how long are you willing to wait?

Me, personally? I don't want to spend $65 on a novel that will, judging by the promotional art, be about 60% the size of one of A D-B's earlier novels. That having been said, I'm very picky when it comes to the quality of what I read, and I consider him to be at the top of what Black Library has to offer. I may buy this if for no other reason than to vote with my wallet and, hopefully, entice Black Library to exert as much pressure as they can to get him to write more... and faster.

:wink:

·
Registered
92 Posts
ADB is my favorite author, Ragnar is one of my favorite characters, but 176 pages for 65 dollars....cant do it....I am out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Not a hobby, but just one avenue of work. I'm freelance, with three regular employers, and sometimes I work for one of them so much I'm putting in double full-time hours, other times I work fewer hours for all three at once, and sometimes I take a break from one of them for a longish while because it doesn't suit me, but pop back to do the odd thing here or there to keep the avenue open and because I like the work, even if I like the other work more.
I imagine the careers of these chaps are pretty much the same.

Anyway, I was never going to be to spending 40 quid on a BL novel anyway, but for 176 pages? Yeah right.
This artificial scarcity, abuse the target-market thing has gotten to genuinely funny levels now. This book can be magnetically sealed, guys! Now you want it, right?!
I look forward to the return of food colouring sealed into plastic to look like blood, and little dinky padlocks, and faction charms on wee chains and embossed holofoil covers oh wait that was comics.

·
Premium Member
5,028 Posts
176 pages... for £40. Are they drunk?? They must be to think that this will be an item that everybody wants to have. I wouldn't buy this even if it was about Talos and First Claw.

LotN

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
The justification will always be: "Wait a few months."

And they're right. We can. I chose not to, and I'll regret it later.

Bottom line, Black Library can certainly do a better of putting out a consistently better product, on a better schedule, and with better marketing. At the end of the day, though, they're putting out a luxury product that no one is forced to purchase.

·
Registered
19 Posts
And they can cling to that justification while their audience shrinks as they grow sick of skyrocketing prices, scattershot releases, lack of communication, and shriveling content.

It says something when the first edition of Talon of Horus actually brought their servers to a screeching halt and was basically sold out as soon as it became available, while they're still trying to sell a book by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, one of their most beloved and acclaimed authors, about Ragnar Blackmane, one of their oldest and fan-favorite characters.

It says something when people used to pitch fits at their pricing and policies, their increasingly evident contempt for the customer, and now it gets met with nary a shrug and a blase "I'll pass."

The antithesis of love is not hate, but apathy. That applies to businesses as well. Of course outraged customers are an issue, but you know what? Those customers are still engaged, and still invested. When your customers just go, "Meh" and move on by, you've really lost them: they're disengaged, they're no longer invested, and it's one very small step until they're no longer your customers.

·
Dazed and confused.
8,496 Posts
At the end of the day, though, they're putting out a luxury product that no one is forced to purchase.
Very true. I think we're starting to see a change amongst the readers though. When they started releasing the likes of Brotherhood of the Storm and Aurelian they sold out instantly. Nowadays we're seeing the LE books hang around on the BL site for months. I think we might well see the same thing with this.

·
Deathwing Commissar
1,846 Posts
And they can cling to that justification while their audience shrinks as they grow sick of skyrocketing prices, scattershot releases, lack of communication, and shriveling content.

It says something when the first edition of Talon of Horus actually brought their servers to a screeching halt and was basically sold out as soon as it became available, while they're still trying to sell a book by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, one of their most beloved and acclaimed authors, about Ragnar Blackmane, one of their oldest and fan-favorite characters.

It says something when people used to pitch fits at their pricing and policies, their increasingly evident contempt for the customer, and now it gets met with nary a shrug and a blase "I'll pass."

The antithesis of love is not hate, but apathy. That applies to businesses as well. Of course outraged customers are an issue, but you know what? Those customers are still engaged, and still invested. When your customers just go, "Meh" and move on by, you've really lost them: they're disengaged, they're no longer invested, and it's one very small step until they're no longer your customers.
Spot on, csw.

And I'd like to reiterate: I don't think this is a good business model. I love Dembski-Bowden's writing, but I cannot wrap my head around Black Library's priorities. This is the latest in a line of stories that feature half the page count of the average modern novel for twice the price, while citing fancy packaging as literally the only justification for the added cost.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Good story, very throwaway though. 55 was steep but I enjoyed it and I haven't bought a BL book in ages so wasn't too put off by it.

·
Heresy Online's Pet Furby
8,723 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts

Had to test that. Been a while since I posted spoilers on a mobile.

Probably not a spoiler but Jarlsdottyr from emperors gift gets a mention as she was last seen by the wolves fighting alongside flesh tearers so she's not very popular with the wolves anymore.

·
The Emperor Protects
5,262 Posts
Probably not a spoiler but Jarlsdottyr from emperors gift gets a mention as she was last seen by the wolves fighting alongside flesh tearers so she's not very popular with the wolves anymore.
Is it said that she's not in the favour of the Wolves anymore? Or just that she was with the Flesh Tearers.

41 - 60 of 96 Posts