Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to throw it out there and say that these two space marines are pretty badass.

I really enjoyed reading about there adventures

Additionally why do so many people on this forum hate the space wolves? i reckon its great that the loyalists have an insane chapter who lays the smackadown on some candy chaos ass.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
I can't say for everyone, but I know some people dislike the Space Wolves because of their portrayal in A Thousand Sons. Which, when you think about it, is absolutely stupid; of course they are going to be portrayed as brutish, monstrous, simpletons that are little better than mindless killing machines. The whole point of the book was the tragic fall of the Thousand Sons, its ever more tragic that the most different of legions were the ones that did the most damage.

I mean what? Are some people so blind that they don't realize the Thousand Sons are going to be portrayed in much the same way? Its not like they are any more innocent than the Space Wolves, the Thousand Sons were duped just as badly if not worse.

Sorry 'bout that, its just that the reason why some people hate the Space Wolves is as dumb as why some people hate the Ultramarines.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
I mean what? Are some people so blind that they don't realize the Thousand Sons are going to be portrayed in much the same way? Its not like they are any more innocent than the Space Wolves, the Thousand Sons were duped just as badly if not worse.

Sorry 'bout that, its just that the reason why some people hate the Space Wolves is as dumb as why some people hate the Ultramarines.
THANK YOU!:thank_you:

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
+rep reever for proving i'm not crazy(ier)

·
Registered
138 Posts
I dislike them because they are hypocrites.

There is a tale of a Muslim leader who was seen drinking brandy or some other alchoholic drink banned by the religion. When asked how he could so flagrantly break the rules he applied so strictly to others he responded thus, " I am so Holy, that when the alcohol touches my lips, it becomes water."

That in a nutshell is the rubbish that Space Wolf Priests tell themselves and the other drunkards.

They use Chaos, like ALL other priests, pskers etc, yet claim it is "Storm power", or some other bullcrap, gross delusion.

Their primach is a braggard, drunkard, and a brute. He assaulted the Lion over an imagined slight and had to get knocked the hell out.

He threw away the Chapters relic trying to hit the moon like a moron.

They wear the skins of HUMANS on their armour.

"There are no wolves on Fenris" Said Magnus. Those huge wolves are basically humans devolved over years of mutation.

So not only do they use chaos, they harbour mutants. Yet they are so "anti-witch" and "anti-mutant"

Goddamn them to the pits of Slaneesh.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
There is a tale of a Muslim leader who was seen drinking brandy or some other alchoholic drink banned by the religion. When asked how he could so flagrantly break the rules he applied so strictly to others he responded thus, " I am so Holy, that when the alcohol touches my lips, it becomes water."

That in a nutshell is the rubbish that Space Wolf Priests tell themselves and the other drunkards.
Wait what? Where in any of the fluff have the Space Wolves ever said such a thing?

I agree that the rune priest thing is hypocrisy, but what other things do they stand behind and then blatantly ignore them?

Their primach is a braggard, drunkard, and a brute. He assaulted the Lion over an imagined slight and had to get knocked the hell out.
It wasn't an imagined slight, Russ ignored the carefully laid plan of the Lion and made his attack. But while the Wolves attacked, the Dark Angels stood by and waited until those who were being attacked were to distracted, and then made their move. Even though Russ was in the wrong for ignoring Johnson, Johnson still used Russ and the Wolves as cannon fodder so that his own forces would not take many losses.

Russ may be far from blameless in what happened, and what occurred later but Johnson still used the Space Wolves like little more than cannon fodder. And even though he may have attacked Johnson first, he was the one to stop fighting first, only to be sucker punched after he had his back turned and was laughing.

He threw away the Chapters relic trying to hit the moon like a moron.
I've never even heard of this, so not much I can say for or against it.

Uh, source please?

"There are no wolves on Fenris" Said Magnus. Those huge wolves are basically humans devolved over years of mutation.
Pretty sure that was not the point of that comment; more along the lines of the fact that the Wolves that were brought to Fenris could not survive as they were and had to evolve into something different. At least thats what I remember getting from that, not devolved humans.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts

So not only do they use chaos, they harbour mutants. Yet they are so "anti-witch" and "anti-mutant"

Goddamn them to the pits of Slaneesh.
Wtf!?

Where does it say the Wolves of Fenris are actually devolved humans?

Note- if you say that it's just the logical conclusion you've come to after reading the source, and I read that source and don't see even a hint that the Wolves are devolved humans then I'm going to edit your post with a bullshit warning on it.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Wtf!?

Where does it say the Wolves of Fenris are actually devolved humans?

Note- if you say that it's just the logical conclusion you've come to after reading the source, and I read that source and don't see even a hint that the Wolves are devolved humans then I'm going to edit your post with a bullshit warning on it.
At the very least, they are not WOLVES as in Canis Lupus, they have some human DNA in them.

That is what I got from it. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is EXACTLY what I got from it.

An I am sure the Wolfen curse is basically that happening at an advanced state. From what I read of the 40K Universe, Genetic Manipulation is done on a level we cannot even comprehend. Considering a puny human can become an almost ageless living instrument of death over the course of decades, imagine what the scientists (Pre Heresy when Science was evolving (as per Mechanicum), were getting up to. Especially when the survival of the colonists on Fenris were in question.

I am really convinced, human genetic manipulation went amok, and the Fenris Wolf is a mutated result.

As for tossing the Spear of Russ at the moon one of the Space Wolves in the Eye of Terror says this to Ragnar during one of the novels.

Russ ignored the carefully laid plan of the Lion and made his attack. But while the Wolves attacked, the Dark Angels stood by and waited until those who were being attacked were to distracted, and then made their move. Even though Russ was in the wrong for ignoring Johnson, Johnson still used Russ and the Wolves as cannon fodder so that his own forces would not take many losses.

Russ may be far from blameless in what happened, and what occurred later but Johnson still used the Space Wolves like little more than cannon fodder. And even though he may have attacked Johnson first
So if this was your brother, you would not have whupped his ass too ?

Start a fight then laugh when it's not going your way? Yeah sounds like something Russ would do.

Death to the Corpse God.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
At the very least, they are not WOLVES as in Canis Lupus, they have some human DNA in them.

That is what I got from it. Correct me if I am wrong, but that is EXACTLY what I got from it.
I didn't think they were descended from the Canis family but I haven't seen anything that suggests human DNA- you've just come up with a wild conspiracy theory there.

An I am sure the Wolfen curse is basically that happening at an advanced state. From what I read of the 40K Universe, Genetic Manipulation is done on a level we cannot even comprehend. Considering a puny human can become an almost ageless living instrument of death over the course of decades, imagine what the scientists (Pre Heresy when Science was evolving (as per Mechanicum), were getting up to. Especially when the survival of the colonists on Fenris were in question.

I am really convinced, human genetic manipulation went amok, and the Fenris Wolf is a mutated result.
But the Wolves of Fenris pre-date the Wulfen by millenia other than wolfish aspects what actually connects the two?

·
Registered
138 Posts
I didn't think they were descended from the Canis family but I haven't seen anything that suggests human DNA- you've just come up with a wild conspiracy theory there.

But the Wolves of Fenris pre-date the Wulfen by millenia other than wolfish aspects what actually connects the two?
Been doing some googling around, and I don't seem to be the only one who thinks so.

The first Space Wolf legions were from Terra (Pure geneseed, no Fenris natives) I am 100% certain they were immune to the Wulfen.

If that is so, then it is something endemic to Fenris which causes it.

Hmm, what could that be ?

What I am thinking is that a native predator on Fenris was spliced into Human DNA for whatever reason. eg. Hyper aware senses, resistance to cold, as happens in all things, some of the splicing went awry and the "Fenris Wolf" is the result. Not a native animal, not a pure 'dumb animal', but something different. So different that I am sure the Ordo Hereticus would have long words with the Chapter Master.

I am aware I may be totally off base and in-correct, but based of the little I know of the Wolves (Chaos damn them), and of the 1K sons from the HH book, I stand by by statement until someone steers me different.

Aside from that.

When the Emp said all "Librarians/pskers" should go back to being regular battle-brothers, I suppose the "Wolf Seers" thought themselves exempt ?

nb. I don't really hate the Ulties, just dislike their Primarch. They are serving a purpose as Tyranid chow, so I am well satisfied.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
We know there was genetic manipulation of the natives/colonists, we know there was genetic manipulation of the animals they brought with them- but you're suggesting that the Wolves are infact genetically manipulated humans rather than the animals brought along with the colonists.

I'm sure there is support for your theory, it's not like you're the only crackpot conspiracy theorist out there :p

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
me said:
Russ ignored the carefully laid plan of the Lion and made his attack. But while the Wolves attacked, the Dark Angels stood by and waited until those who were being attacked were to distracted, and then made their move. Even though Russ was in the wrong for ignoring Johnson, Johnson still used Russ and the Wolves as cannon fodder so that his own forces would not take many losses.

Russ may be far from blameless in what happened, and what occurred later but Johnson still used the Space Wolves like little more than cannon fodder. And even though he may have attacked Johnson first

Start a fight then laugh when it's not going your way? Yeah sounds like something Russ would do.
Yes, perfect; next time your gonna try to misquote someone to try and lend strength to your argument you might as well go the whole way and edit out the bits that don't help you.

Now once again, while Russ did ignore Lion's planning, the Lion made damn well sure to use the Space Wolves so that his own forces would not suffer many losses. Johnson still treated his brother like something far from one, still used his brothers forces like expendable troops.

And Russ did not start a fight and then stop and start laughing because it was not going his way. He started laughing because between the two he realized first that the fight was pointless and would get neither of them anywhere. He stopped fighting first, he was the better one and stopped fighting only for the Lion to sucker punch him.

So if the Lion had done that to you, you wouldn't have whupped his ass too?

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
The wolves of fenris have more genetic similarities with rhinos was what I got from thousand sons..... WTF did thy ever say they were human mutations? Tbh, it sounds like you need to do some more research on this topic. And wolves hate sorcerers... Not necessarily psykers.

·
Registered
592 Posts
The "Russ trying to throw the spear to the moon" is from one of the Space Wolf books. It is told as a recollection from one of the 13th company to Ragnar, I believe. They had to search for weeks before they found it. Russ apearently hated the spear, and wanted it gone.

As for the wolves of fenris being altered humans, A Thousand Sons makes a mention of the wolves' psyché, and I believe it specifically mentioned it being human-like. Don't quote me on that, though. I'll try and dig it up in the morning.

Otherwise, it is indeed funny to note the Rune Priest at the council of Nikea talking about sorcery etc when he himself draws power from the warp ;)

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
There is a difference between sorcery and what the wolves practice.

·
Unhinged Hobo
2,341 Posts
I'm pretty sure i woulda turned inside out if a primarch hit me....

it seems like we have the actual animosity between the two going on right here.

Can't we all just get along? Just for the record, as a chaos worshipping scum who hates all lapdogs of the emporer i gotta say that if the casualties that Russ suffered was as a direct result of not following the plan then i have little sympathy for his casualties. Wether the Lion stood by and watched really doesn't factor in my mind in this situation. If there was a plan that didn't involve running at the enemy guns on his own but he ignored it then he should expect to get shot up.

·
Craw-Daddy
4,416 Posts
I don't think Russ would have killed his brother but maybe had a big fight like when he did with the Lion and cooled his anger.

The thing was, that Magnus had done a terrible mistake when destroying the webway barrier into the Emperor's palace. That might have been the most dangerous attack potentially anyone or anything has ever done in the history of 40k including the breach on the wall of Terra, as it was a direct hit on the core of humanities power in a literal sense. Whether it was Horus or the Emperor who directed Russ into attacking Magnus, he definitley made it sound as if Magnus had done something really really terrible and needed to be dispensed with. In that case, any loyal legion could have done what Russ had. Even Mortarion dispised Magnus and his sorcery. Russ was just the primarch with the Vendeta needed to attack Magnus, and perhaps... as Dan Abnett had said and we might learn in Prospero Burns, meant in destroying other legions.

·
Registered
138 Posts

Yes, perfect; next time your gonna try to misquote someone to try and lend strength to your argument you might as well go the whole way and edit out the bits that don't help you.

Now once again, while Russ did ignore Lion's planning, the Lion made damn well sure to use the Space Wolves so that his own forces would not suffer many losses. Johnson still treated his brother like something far from one, still used his brothers forces like expendable troops.

And Russ did not start a fight and then stop and start laughing because it was not going his way. He started laughing because between the two he realized first that the fight was pointless and would get neither of them anywhere. He stopped fighting first, he was the better one and stopped fighting only for the Lion to sucker punch him.

Dude, I wrote that simply cause I am no lover of Russ.. stop taking it so seriously. I am gonna smear that drunkard as much as I can Republican style...:biggrin:

If that dullard was the better one, he would not have rushed in, and secondly, he would not have started a fight.
Should of done it to Night Haunter, and get a proper beatdown like Dorn.

We know there was genetic manipulation of the natives/colonists, we know there was genetic manipulation of the animals they brought with them- but you're suggesting that the Wolves are infact genetically manipulated humans rather than the animals brought along with the colonists.

I'm sure there is support for your theory, it's not like you're the only crackpot conspiracy theorist out there :p
I don't think it was done on purpose ie. to create a Wolf beast. I think the genetic modification had mutations, and the dominant mutation that thrived was what is the Fenrisian Wolf.

Planet of Mutants.... exterminatus.

·
Grand Lord Munchkin
7,044 Posts
You are aware that makes no sense from a an efficiency perspective right?

Give us a source for this, lex doesn’t count.

·
Super Moderator
6,993 Posts
Why does lexi not count? Yes its a wiki but the general rule is to take whats on there with a grain of salt. Their are references, if you don't believe whats on there then look it the fuck up.

Now onto what I really desired to post about:

nestersan said:
Dude, I wrote that simply cause I am no lover of Russ.. stop taking it so seriously. I am gonna smear that drunkard as much as I can Republican style...:biggrin:
No, no, no; please tell me this was a damned joke. Please, do not tell me that your making shit up just because your don't like Russ.

[There is more I want to say to this but I can simply not find the words, though not because I am stunned. The large quantity of alcohol has much to do with this. And because of that I will post no further on my thoughts untill some time later.]

1 - 20 of 28 Posts